2018 NCAA Tournament Thread

CBFan

Stockard scores SBU first 5 points, SBU down 14-7 first break

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stockard 10 points Adams 0-8 SBU down 1 20-19 both teams have a lot of missed bunnies.  Why is Adams never 0-8 against us?

SBU up 28-23 at the half both teams shooting poorly UCLA has 11 turnovers.

Go Bonnie’s win one for the A10

The bad news is that UCLA isn't going to turn it over that many times in the 2nd half and will get and make more shots. The good news is that Jaylen Adams has yet to show up. Based on what I've seen of Adams this season, I'll take Adams in the 2nd half with a 5-point head start.

23 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Courtney Stockard is playing out of his god damn mind. 

I can't remember - does SLU see any financial benefit/units from its conference mates winning games?

Yes. Not a lot but each unit is worth 1.7mm. Last I saw the league gets 25% of that with the team keeping 75%. 1.7mm x 25% x 1/14 = 30k per win.

Steve Alford impresses me as a horrible game coach.  He did little to nothing to stem that tide and make halftime adjustments.  Some of the turnovers were CYO-esque.  I was worried Stockard was trying to do too much all alone but got at least some help from Mobley.  Adams made free throws down the stretch but he has not been right for a few games now.  Two-for-sixteen but one of the two was a late jumper at the 52 second mark that, given UCLA didn't score again, was technically the game-winning shot.  Adams may have had 20 against Davidson in the A10's but he was not really a factor against Richmond and then us in closing out the season.  Certainly not as dynamic as a co-POY should be.  Both Stockard an dmobley have outshone him lately.  Can't have that against Florida.

I have the Bonnies upsetting Florida so "go brown Indians!"  I also have Rhodey winning but Davidson losing.  By the third round, all A10 teams likely gone.

Local kid Stockard gets 26 points and the Bonnies get a win in the A10 column.

This was their first NCAA tournament win in 48 years way to go Bonnies.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

I might be wrong on this, but didn't Stockard redshirt one year and isn't he a JR.school wise?  If all of that is true, he would be a perfect Grad transfer after next year to fill the J Bess spot

Stockard had to sit two years at St. Bonnie due to a right foot problem (sound familiar?)

He went JUCO out of HS, so perhaps his grades needed help?  He played 2 years at Allen CC.  He is listed as a Junior. This really is his first year in D1 ball.  If he gets two Redshirts (one medical), then he has one more year of eligibility.

even shooting as poorly as adams did last night, when they needed him he was the man at the end.   adams is one of those players that is fun to watch even when he is having a bad night.   he plays the game effortlessly and like everything around him is in slow motion.  

didnt care much for the holiday kid.   just a punk imo.   the one foul called on adams near the end of the game when holiday did all the contact initiation was horrible.   i thought for sure the refs were going the cheat the bonnies out of the game at that point.   but adams stepped up and held the fort.   fun fun game.  well anytime a blue blood like ucla loses i love it!

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

-pretty crappy, I agree that to a degree that it is the upsets that make the tourney, but I support SLU, a little guy, and love it when a Richmond, FGCU, Lehigh, MId TN, etc beat a big guy, but the big guys don't like and seem to be stacking the deck so that it doesn't happen, I don't how the non-Power 6 leagues can make a change, but I think it would be good to give the little a guy a chance

-I wonder if I would think differently if we were in the BEast...

6 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I agree that non top-7 schools should get more of a shot at NCAA tournament bids.  They should make a rule that if you finish lower than 6th in your conference that you aren't eligible (unless you win the conference tournament) or something like that, but it will never happen.  I don't know that there is much appetite for expanding the NCAA field further, but I'd also be in favor of going to 96 teams and giving conferences 2 auto-bids.  One for the regular season champ and one for the tournament champ.  If the regular season champ wins the tournament, then the tournament runner up gets the 2nd bid.  This would put a lot more small schools into the field.

That being said, the graphic showing NCAA at-large bids to top-7 schools versus non-top 7 schools in incredibly misleading given all of the changes in conference affiliation over the years.  I mean the 7th conference in their top-7 didn't even exist until 2014.  The article mentions this, but doesn't really go into it enough.  Disclaimer: I didn't watch the video, so it might have talked about this more.  If the graphic retroactively assigned schools to their current conference and went back to look at the difference between top-7 and non top-7, I wonder what it would show.  I'd guess that the teams getting bids have stayed pretty consistent, but schools moving up to top-7 conferences (Creighton, Wichita State, Butler, Xavier, Temple, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, etc) has changed the look.

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

I agree that non top-7 schools should get more of a shot at NCAA tournament bids.  They should make a rule that if you finish lower than 6th in your conference that you aren't eligible (unless you win the conference tournament) or something like that, but it will never happen.  I don't know that there is much appetite for expanding the NCAA field further, but I'd also be in favor of going to 96 teams and giving conferences 2 auto-bids.  One for the regular season champ and one for the tournament champ.  If the regular season champ wins the tournament, then the tournament runner up gets the 2nd bid.  This would put a lot more small schools into the field.

That being said, the graphic showing NCAA at-large bids to top-7 schools versus non-top 7 schools in incredibly misleading given all of the changes in conference affiliation over the years.  I mean the 7th conference in their top-7 didn't even exist until 2014.  The article mentions this, but doesn't really go into it enough.  Disclaimer: I didn't watch the video, so it might have talked about this more.  If the graphic retroactively assigned schools to their current conference and went back to look at the difference between top-7 and non top-7, I wonder what it would show.  I'd guess that the teams getting bids have stayed pretty consistent, but schools moving up to top-7 conferences (Creighton, Wichita State, Butler, Xavier, Temple, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, etc) has changed the look.

The play in games should be exclusively 16 seeds and all "one bid leagues". This is overly simplistic idea. Maybe give them to the best one bid league regular season champions that don't win their tournament?

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

over 500 in conference games would be a sensible restriction