Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

10 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:
SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2017-18 SAM 32.5 4.6-10.5 .436 1.8-4.8 .373 2.6-3.2 .806 2.8 6.6 0.0 1.2 1.3 2.7

Better than 2 to 1 assists to turnover ratio, 80 percent free throw shooter and 37 percent from the 3.

His skill set is exactly what we need, seal the deal this weekend coach Ford.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

Played against Mooney in high school. Had a really bad knee injury before his freshman year at Air Force, resulting in him ending up at South Dakota. I'd love to see him at the jewel of Midtown. 

I met Matt a few times when his Chicago Diablos came to St. Louis for AAU tourneys, so I've followed his career through Air Force to South Dakota.  Talk about a lights out shooter.  He can bury threes from anywhere on the court.  He plays very aggressively and with a chip on his shoulder.  He has twice come in 2nd for POY in the Summit to Daum.  He also has some relatives here in St. Louis.  What a great addition he would make.  Very smart in the classroom also.  

7 minutes ago, GMan Alum said:

I met Matt a few times when his Chicago Diablos came to St. Louis for AAU tourneys, so I've followed his career through Air Force to South Dakota.  Talk about a lights out shooter.  He can bury threes from anywhere on the court.  He plays very aggressively and with a chip on his shoulder.  He has twice come in 2nd for POY in the Summit to Daum.  He also has some relatives here in St. Louis.  What a great addition he would make.  Very smart in the classroom also.  

Interesting - certainly worth a call.

On 3/26/2018 at 2:35 PM, ACE said:

Another intriguing grad transfer on the market. 5-10 guard Justin Coleman from Samford - Justin Coleman. Very productive player. Averaged 13 ppg, shot a lot of 3's at 37 % and a very impressive 6 assists per game.  Some of the "power" schools could shy away from him due to his lack of size, but could be a great fit in the A-10.

Great to see the staff was all over this!  Glad I could help ;) Wish we had better weather for his visit. He would seem to really round out our roster, boosting our weaknesses - 3-point shooting, free throw shooting and additional ballhandling - 6 apg! As I mentioned originally, would seem to be a great fit in the A-10. He averaged 26 mpg and led the team in assists during his sophomore year at Bama and had some excellent games against good competition. Of all the grad transfer guards out there, this one seems like he would be one of the best fits. Get him to commit this weekend.

11 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

His last year stats. Looks like a good get! Also its Samford. Solid PG. Could prob start as PG as push Goodwin to a 2 spot

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2017-18 SAM 32.5 4.6-10.5 .436 1.8-4.8 .373 2.6-3.2 .806 2.8 6.6 0.0 1.2 1.3 2.7

I don’t think this is that crazy of a statement. You worded it terribly, though. Maybe like if you said “he would allow JGood to play off the ball some more like he did in A10 play this year” it would’ve been legit, because we just don’t have that option on our bench this year.

Zink likes this

5 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I don’t think this is that crazy of a statement. You worded it terribly, though. Maybe like if you said “he would allow JGood to play off the ball some more like he did in A10 play this year” it would’ve been legit, because we just don’t have that option on our bench this year.

Regardless of how the positions are labeled, Coleman would seem to be an excellent fit playing alongside Goodwin. He can knock down open 3s that Goodwin would set up for him, and Coleman with his 6 apg would create plenty of scoring chances for Goodwin. Goodwin with 4 apg and Coleman with 6 apg - would be awesome to have two guards so good at sharing the ball. Could be a great passing team.

NextYearBill and Zink like this

Just now, ACE said:

Regardless of how the positions are labeled, Coleman would seem to be an excellent fit playing alongside Goodwin. He can knock down open 3s that Goodwin would set up for him, and Coleman with his 6 apg would create plenty of scoring chances for Goodwin. Goodwin with 4 apg and Coleman with 6 apg - would be awesome to have two guards so good at sharing the ball. Could be a great passing team.

towel me the F up 

Littlebill and MattyMo213 like this

20 minutes ago, ACE said:

Well said. Seems like a good option - anyone find video yet? (Yes I’m being lazy)

34 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

towel me the F up 

35 minutes ago, ACE said:

Good numbers at Samford, but really bad fg% for both 2pt and 3pt while at Alabama for 2 years.  That concerns me as SLU really could use a couple of outside shooters.     https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justin-coleman-2.html

4 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Good numbers at Samford, but really bad fg% for both 2pt and 3pt while at Alabama for 2 years.  That concerns me as SLU really could use a couple of outside shooters.     

Definitely a concern that his numbers will regress as he moves up in competition. But he seems like a good fit. Doesn't have to be the star. 

17 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Good numbers at Samford, but really bad fg% for both 2pt and 3pt while at Alabama for 2 years.  That concerns me as SLU really could use a couple of outside shooters.     

Keep in mind that when he suits up next year, he'll be three years older than when he last played at Bama. Players can improve and he demonstrated that he has. Plus, I doubt he's had the benefit of playing alongside a guard as good as Goodwin. 

I'm with you on the shooting and have been beating that drum, but I think this kid makes us much better in a lot of way including shooting, plus we still figure to have at least one more scholarship that could be used for an additional shooter.

HenryB likes this

11 minutes ago, ACE said:

Keep in mind that when he suits up next year, he'll be three years older than when he last played at Bama. Players can improve and he demonstrated that he has. Plus, I doubt he's had the benefit of playing alongside a guard as good as Goodwin. 

I'm with you on the shooting and have been beating that drum, but I think this kid makes us much better in a lot of way including shooting, plus we still figure to have at least one more scholarship that could be used for an additional shooter.

If this kid (or any GT) can fill the role of supplemental/backup pg effectively then that should be our first priority over shooting.  At the moment, we know we only have 1.5 capable ball handlers (Goodwin and Bess counts as 1/2).  I don't care how many good shooters we have, if we don't have more than 1 effective pg, they'll rarely see open shots to take. 

HenryB likes this

15 minutes ago, ACE said:

Wouldn’t Pearson and Jacobs help us out with the outside shooting and ball handling?

I am hoping that we get the same production out of our freshman as we got out of French and Goodwin.

I agree that players improve and more important this is his last year of college ball and I hope his best is yet to come.

I am ready to cue up the pit bull and throw next year a towel if we can get him during or after his visit.

9 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Wouldn’t Pearson and Jacobs help us out with the outside shooting and ball handling?

I am hoping that we get the same production out of our freshman as we got out of French and Goodwin.

I think you’re setting yourself with unreasonable expectations. Goodwin and French were as productive as they were out of necessity. We don’t have that necessity any more. I expect a lot Fromm Gordon and whatever we get from Thatch, Pearson and Jacobs will be gravy let them come in without expectations and learn and grow their freshman year. What this team needs imho is experienced guards to handle the ball and shoot. 

Zink, willie and NextYearBill like this

28 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think you’re setting yourself with unreasonable expectations. Goodwin and French were as productive as they were out of necessity. We don’t have that necessity any more. I expect a lot Fromm Gordon and whatever we get from Thatch, Pearson and Jacobs will be gravy let them come in without expectations and learn and grow their freshman year. What this team needs imho is experienced guards to handle the ball and shoot. 

Thank you for you thoughts and I get overly enthusiastic over all Billiken recruits at my age I should have learned how to temper that.

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Thank you for you thoughts and I get overly enthusiastic over all Billiken recruits at my age I should have learned how to temper that.

I think there is a lot to be enthusiastic about with these recruits. I just think we should expect more from the veteran players that we're bringing in to fill needs rather than the 18 year olds coming in. 

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

If this kid (or any GT) can fill the role of supplemental/backup pg effectively then that should be our first priority over shooting.  At the moment, we know we only have 1.5 capable ball handlers (Goodwin and Bess counts as 1/2).  I don't care how many good shooters we have, if we don't have more than 1 effective pg, they'll rarely see open shots to take. 

We need both another pg and shooter - that's why Coleman is so intriguing. He gives you some of both. Even if people have concerns about the level of competition last year, he led a Bama team in assists that went to the NIT.  He's a proven playmaker.  IF we land Coleman, I think it eliminates the need for Austin, but there would still be a need for one more shooter. We ranked in the bottom 50 in the country last year in 3-point %.

58 minutes ago, ACE said:

We need both another pg and shooter - that's why Coleman is so intriguing. He gives you some of both. Even if people have concerns about the level of competition last year, he led a Bama team in assists that went to the NIT.  He's a proven playmaker.  IF we land Coleman, I think it eliminates the need for Austin, but there would still be a need for one more shooter. We ranked in the bottom 50 in the country last year in 3-point %.

IN 36 SEC games Coleman averaged 5.3 ppg, 2.1 apg, shot 25.9% overall and 25.2% from the 3.  I am intrigued by this kid, but his numbers against good competition at Bama aren't a selling point.

This isn"t really a fair comparrison because the amount of minutes played in the SEC by Coleman really dwarfs Austin, but I am bored and found it somewhat interesting.

Per 100 possession numbers in SEC games for Coleman and Austin

Coleman 15.6 points, 6.2 assists, 4.1 rebounds  That is with a FG percentage of 25.9 and a 3pt FG percentage of 25.2.

Austin 14.9 points, 6.6 assists, 9.1 rebounds  That is with a FG percentage of 46.7 and he attempted zero 3 pointers.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

IN 36 SEC games Coleman averaged 5.3 ppg, 2.1 apg, shot 25.9% overall and 25.2% from the 3.  I am intrigued by this kid, but his numbers against good competition at Bama aren't a selling point.

He led an NIT team in assists as a sophomore. And looking at his game log from his sophomore and the past year, he had several excellent games against good competition: SOPH: 24 points against Oregon, 14 points and 6 assists against a ranked South Carolina team, and 18 points in the NIT against Creighton * I did not include his 14 points & 5 assists against Mizzou, because I said good  competition. This past year, 17 against Clemson & 19 against LSU (although not a great team). Had 10 against Loyola, but didn't play a great game. 

Noticed he played Chattanooga three times against fellow SLU target Nat Dixon. Game 1: JC-28 pts & ND-10; Game 2: JC-9 & ND-21: Game 3: JC-19 & ND-7