Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Saw Dr. C at the game last night - been awhile.  Wonder if he came to knock a few heads together.  Fred was a no show on the court and in the seats.  He must really be afraid not to come sit with a big donor like Dr. C.

Don't know if it's true but someone told me the good Doc's deal with the university is up after this year. I do believe his commitment was not a one time up front contribution. I do believe his influence is overstated by this board. I certainly hope he stays involved. 

4 minutes ago, gravilst said:

No idea on validity...but would explain some things.

Tony's brother? Signed up in January of 2018. Either it really is someone with info and is using Twitter as a way to get this info out to the public....OR, and most likely, it is Tony Murken's second account. If you read all of his tweets, it's a bunch of speculative tweets that have been discussed on this here board. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I  strongly recommend you read this article by Matt Kaiser, a lawyer who has conducted Title IX investigations. It just came out today. It's premise is that colleges go to far in their definition of sexual assault and kids are being penalized severely for what's become a very gray area re: consensual sex.

The players attorneys should have this guy handle the appeal. He makes a very compelling case that guys are suffering at the hands of women who simply have regrets or buyer's remorse over their previous nights decisions.

If anyone knows how to get this to the involved attorneys, do it. Who knows it might help.  

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/1/23/16920878/aziz-ansari-affirmative-consent-college-campuses-title-ix-assault

I left Matt a message explaining the situation and asking him to contact Scott Rosenblum. I thought I was going to get to talk to him but once the receptionist found out I wasn't a potential client he had left his office.

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Tony's brother? Signed up in January of 2018. Either it really is someone with info and is using Twitter as a way to get this info out to the public....OR, and most likely, is Tony Murkens' second account.

SLU didn't "hire" Weathers. Weathers has been at SLU since before S1.

22 minutes ago, willie said:

Don't know if it's true but someone told me the good Doc's deal with the university is up after this year. I do believe his commitment was not a one time up front contribution. I do believe his influence is overstated by this board. I certainly hope he stays involved. 

That’s proposterius. It is not a “deal”. It is a one-time, permanent donation to the naming rights. Doc C is a smart guy - he wouldn’t be a billionaire otherwise - you think he would make a $12m donation that would “expire”? 

On 12/8/2017 at 12:06 PM, billiken_roy said:

i dont think anyone has an issue with the need to review.  but when all parties concerned are readily available for a pretty simple he said she said situation i just cant fathom the reason this just drags on and on.   if it is a matter of scheduling convenience doesnt the accused parties schedule carry any priority?   this should have been settled weeks ago.   it is a joke.   i am not arguing for preference on the decision either way i am arguing for it to be over.   make a decision.  

Don't know about this donation, but it's normal that payments are made over several years  

1 minute ago, slu72 fan said:

Don't know about this donation, but it's normal that payments are made over several years  

Indeed, likely for tax purposes. But donations to naming rights like this with such a large $ amount are permanent. Chaifetz is the wealthiest guy on the BOT and arguably wealthiest SLU alumni there ever was - the school would not do something to upset him. It’s been a while since Bioni ran the last fundraising campaign, and you know the first guy they’re hitting up is Chaifetz when the next campaign is launched.... 

35 minutes ago, willie said:

Dr C is on the Board of Trustees.  If/when you see that change you can be worried about his ongoing commitment.

24 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Maybe after Rex.

Potentialy correct.  Rex is around $1B.  I peg Chaifetz higher - he’s been in the market to buy multiple sports teams and was going to write a check in the range of $200m.  $200... million....cash.... I dont think any businessperson would write a check in that range unless they were worth multiple B’s.  I bet he’s closer to $1.5-$2.  Regardless, yes, these donors have influence.  Ultimately, Pestello’s job is to manage the endowment and capital of the donors.  He WORKS for them.

Yea I don't know how much influence he has but he definitely seems to be a big fan as his entire twitter account is basically for following SLU and he gets into games.  I am just hoping he had a word with Dr. P yesterday and making sure he realizes what kind of mess he is in.  Then next week at this time maybe we will find out that the punishments aren't as bad as first reported and due to the Twitter campaign, we were also able to help free Ali al Namr from Saudi prison.  

JMM28 likes this

I expect when this mess is over someone in the media is going to doing an expose on how SLU handled (bungled) this situation. Maybe SI or ESPN. These stories about sexual assault and harassment are everywhere in the media today, and the issue of what is consensual vs non consensual is just too big an issue to be ignored. Read the Vox article cited above. Right now the general train of thought is the guy must be guilty which is a powerful weapon to put in anyone's hand. This is based largely on the actions of powerful men doing whatever they felt like with vulnerable women, see Weinstein, Lauer, Clinton, even Trump. But what about the common man or student athlete who thinks everything is above board only to find out the next day he's been accused of an assault?  He's not a Weinstein or a Lauer. He has no power even if he is a well known athlete. There are enough cases now where men's lives have been harmed by women whose only injury is feeling guilty or ashamed over what they agreed to the night before.  

1 hour ago, slusam said:

I left Matt a message explaining the situation and asking him to contact Scott Rosenblum. I thought I was going to get to talk to him but once the receptionist found out I wasn't a potential client he had left his office.

I just talked to someone from Matt's office.  They are in touch with the player's attorney to see if they can help out. He did say the farther you are in the process the harder it gets to fix. The only option becomes to sue and this becomes very expensive very fast.

2 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Yea I don't know how much influence he has but he definitely seems to be a big fan as his entire twitter account is basically for following SLU and he gets into games.  I am just hoping he had a word with Dr. P yesterday and making sure he realizes what kind of mess he is in.  Then next week at this time maybe we will find out that the punishments aren't as bad as first reported and due to the Twitter campaign, we were also able to help free Ali al Namr from Saudi prison.  

If Fred Pestello is so narrow minded that the only objective he had in this case was to make SLU look lilly white by handing out what amounted to a death penalty for both the players and the program itself, he should not be President of a major university. Actually, he should not even be managing a McDonalds. The best quality any executive can have is the ability to look at situations with objectivity and come up with a decision that best serves the overall goals of his organization and it's stakeholders. If he needs Dr. C to make him aware of the negative impact the HO's punishments are going to have on SLU going forward than he's in way over his head.

1 minute ago, slusam said:

I just talked to someone from Matt's office.  They are in touch with the player's attorney to see if they can help out. He did say the farther you are in the process the harder it gets to fix. The only option becomes to sue and this becomes very expensive very fast.

That’s a big point here.  Everyone expects the students and their families to sue here.  But honestly they may not be able to afford that.  Rosenblum is not cheap, and attornies have a tendency to stop working once the money runs out.