Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

6 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Rundown..

(Hosts talking) “These 3 will never play for SLU, appeal process next, which is 3 days, followed by 3 days to answer.”

Ford was originally supposed to speak on the show prior to all this coming out and understandably cancelled.

At the press conference, Ben Fred asked  Rosenblum about our current culture i.e.,  “guilty until proven innocent”, to which he responded that, “This happens on every college campus, with regret coming after the fact. This was not a crime and should not have been actionable. At the end of the day would characterize the case as three women who talked about getting together with multiple partners (before/during), who then left with buyer’s remorse. One of the females who continued to participate in the investigation most vocally reiterated that the acts were consensual.”

(Hosts talking) “Why were they kicked out of school/suspended? Student code of conduct violation.”

More Rosenblum: “Title IX investigation dragged on and seemed like a sham. Flawed system, allegations were not proven.”

(Hosts talking) “It’s fair to wonder about the future of Ford at SLU.”  

What about the fourth player?

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Ford isnt getting a job anywhere else right now.  This will be his third straight losing season and now he has players involved in sexual assault cases at his last two coaching stops.  I don’t think what happened here is his fault, but no AD can sell that resume to boosters and ticket buyers. 

Ford didn't do anything expect recruit these guys and ask them to come to SLU. He is fine. He may think these guys disappointed him but nothing more than that. 

39 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Hopefully the appeal can knock down the punishment.  Take it to 1 year, get everyone back next year and move on.  KM needs to come in and talk to these guys.  I truly believe JGood loves SLU and this city.  He is the glue.  Get him to stay and play and maybe we can avoid total melt down.  

i want a meltdown.  this is about more than slu basketball, or college or any of the stuff that has us here together on this forum.  this is about race and this is about gender inequality, as it relates to sexual responsibility.  SLU thinks it's being progressive and this is the moral equivalent of emptying your kid's college fund to stock up on bitcoin.  you didn't take the high road, you threw young, black males under the bus to serve the almight dollar.  again.  shame on you, SLU.  you were on the academic decline before S1 and i said that i'd point my kids elsewhere if things didn't change.  i had made my mind up after S1 that i was 100% not interested in my kids going here.  now, after S2, i'll make sure that everyone that asks gets the worst possible impression of my alma mater.  i want this university buried at this point.  thanks SLU, you had a good run of 205 years.  money talks, i guess.

DeSmetBilliken and Schasz like this

13 minutes ago, slusam said:

What about the fourth player?

Will also not be playing for SLU again, as he was expelled. I’m guessing they were just reiterating that the suspensions are de facto expulsions in themselves. They didn’t detail which player got which punishment, though they named Goodwin along with the other 3, as the 4 

On 12/19/2017 at 11:21 PM, Wendelprof said:

You can do as you wish, but the university has to bend over backwards to make it appear they are not being influenced by donors or public pressure.  Chanting "free the three" at a game will probably only put more pressure on the school to punish the players to make it clear they were not subject to outside influences. 

Your call, but I'd advise against it if you really care about the players.  You'll notice that their attorneys have been conspicuously silent throughout the process.  They too realize that while the process is on-going, best to let it run its course without any appearance of outside influence or pressure.  Once it is final, that's when voices can be expressed (and possibly litigation), but I'm not sure you'd be helping the cause to do it now.

On 12/21/2017 at 12:55 AM, Wendelprof said:

Respectfully, that's not what I said.  Fred P. is not going to punish or not punish the students because of what a handful of basketball fans say at a game.  But if you go back and look at my post, it was after another poster suggested you get the student section to join in.  If that many people start chanting it, that would different.

As for comments about the on-going delay, whether or not the students deserve to be punished depends on the details of what was said and what happened that night, and none of us will ever know all the details.  Based on what has been written on this board, I believe there is a good chance one or more of the players will be punished.  If the punishment is to expel them or suspend them for another semester, if I'm the Hearing Officer, I might go ahead and let them enjoy Christmas and New Year to the extent that is possible, but then issue my ruling shortly after the first of the year so they have time to transfer if that is what they wish to do.  (I understand many of you disagree with that last sentence, but I don't know many people who would want to suspend/expel a kid two days before Christmas when waiting until right after the first of the year makes little to no difference - if that's the outcome the kids aren't going to be playing in any games anyway and they won't start the transfer process until after the first of the year as all universities close for the week between the two holidays).  If I were the Hearing Officer, and I thought the matter did not warrant any more punishment that what has already been imposed, I would probably push my decision up as quickly as possible.  If, in fact, the decision is not issued until after the first of the year I think that increases the chances the board will not be happy with the

Hearing Officer's recommended punishment (at least as applied to one of the players).  Just trying to help read the tea leaves, though anything is possible.

Wendprof = Fred Pestello? 

2 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

This is the one thing I still don't understand. How can they even punish anyone other than the one person videotaping if the whole situation was consensual (as was apparently shown in the video)?

My best guess is that while Graves made the video, the other 3 were aware of it, and possibly shared it with their buddies.

5 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Me too!

I suppose this discussion is for people who believe these guys are completely innocent and this whole situation should have never been investigated. Missouri may be the right school for that but not SLU.  The culture at SLU and the code of conduct just will not allow it. This is nothing new. I am still shocked that this outcome surprises anyone who has a functioning brain that lives in the reality of the real world. 100s and 1000s of student athletes come thru programs at SLU and colleges similar to SLU and manage not to get entangled in this sort of situation. The women involved this should face repercussions but I doubt that will happen.  Their lives are changed forever and they will never forget,  although they may be full of regrets.  They will probably, years from now, say " If I could go back in time and talk to my younger self and tell him: DON"T DO IT!! YOU WILL WISH YOU HADN'T!!!! "   I am wondering in the back of my mind if this whole episode that went on that night was a setup.  All it takes in one "victim" to cry foul, and the SLU title IX investigation and SLU code of conduct will do the rest.    Please counsel your young ones coming up to college age to be careful! Have fun, but don't think you are invulnerable and nothing can go wrong,  nothing bad will ever happen...   And for your own sake don't get involved with group sex...If One person gets angry or feels wronged.....It will blow up in your face!!!!!!  I wonder if the guys really knew these girls that well?  Did they have complete trust? Did everyone agree to videos and pictures? Apparently not... Live and learn!   Oh well, such is life.   

4 minutes ago, Schasz said:

So if there wasn't any video...where would we be??? 

Awaiting the players rape  trial after being falsely accused.  Yes they did get railroaded out of slu  but at least the video kept them out of prison.  

1 minute ago, David King said:

We'd be 1st place in the A-10. They'd all be playing. The women don't even make a complaint if it weren't for the video.

You sure about that?  They lied as it was.  They are not good people and first chance any word would have gotten out they would have  likely played the same card in an effort to appease daddy.  At least the players had proof they were liars.

1 minute ago, David King said:

We'd be 1st place in the A-10. They'd all be playing. The women don't even make a complaint if it weren't for the video.

Yes, I understand both sides that is why I asked the question in a kind of out loud sort of way. Seems like it is an either or answer. 

I just got back from Ireland late last night... had a lot going on today... just wanted to check in on the board and ....I officially don’t give a darn anymore. F it. Thanks for wasting my time and money you 💩. I really hope the consequences aren’t as bad as I believe they will be. I really loved being a billiken fan, I wanted to share that with my daughter.... but this is just so wrong on so many levels. 

😞

Schasz likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Awaiting the players rape  trial after being falsely accused.  Yes they did get railroaded out of slu  but at least the video kept them out of prison.  

Every single guy today should film anytime he hooks up with a girl.  It is sad and twisted, but that is the point we are now at as a society today.  The sex talk I am going to have with my son is going to be a lot different than the one my dad had with me.

It sucks that this isn't getting picked up nationally. Our ESPN page was last updated 2 days ago, and on Twitter this isn't trending in St. Louis. It hurts to say this, but SLU is an insignificant blip in college sports. I fear that SLU realizes that more than most of us do and that's why they are going to be able to get away this this miscarriage of justice.

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

You sure about that?  They lied as it was.  They are not good people and first chance any word would have gotten out they would have  likely played the same card in an effort to appease daddy.  At least the players had proof they were liars.

At this point, none of us know all the facts, but apparently the women went to the police because they were angry about the video. 

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

This is so wrong on so many levels. I’m ashamed to be a SLU alumni. Unless this is somehow, someway made right, slu won’t be getting another dollar from me. 

Feel the same way!!!

8 minutes ago, BilliKitty said:

I just got back from Ireland late last night... had a lot going on today... just wanted to check in on the board and ....I officially don’t give a darn anymore. F it. Thanks for wasting my time and money you 💩. I really hope the consequences aren’t as bad as I believe they will be. I really loved being a billiken fan, I wanted to share that with my daughter.... but this is just so wrong on so many levels. 

😞

Your last sentence is what hurts most about this. I wanted to share my love of the Billikens with my son, too.  I wanted it passed down to my son just like my father passed it on to me.  This whole thing has broke me as a fan.  I don’t think I can put myself through this anymore. It sucks.  I wanted so bad for my father, uncle and their long suffering buddies to get one sweet 16 run.  If SLU ever recovers from this it will be decades from now.