Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

Every. Single. Day. I get on to check that someone has posted ' all good, they're playing in the upcoming game!' And every day I'm disappointed to see how ticked off everyone on the board is at finding the same disappointment of nothing.... 😞🙄

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

This thought always upsets me.  The Athletic Department is in no way responsible for running this investigation. 

It does, however, have a responsibility to bring up legitimate concerns and to voice those concerns to Pestello.  Those concerns could include things like the school potentially not following their own guidelines on conducting investigations or could include things like how Situation 1.0 ran.  The Athletic Department has a real voice in all of this and should be using that voice internally to make sure things are handled properly and reasonably (as best as they can know not being directly involved).  The AD cannot simply just bury their head in the sand and wait for this to be over.

It was terrible in the newspaper listening to Chris May say that he assumes a statement will be made when the process and investigation is over.  He should know if they plan to make a statement or not.

The AD has a dog in this fight because if Rosenblum brings this into the court of public opinion (no matter what ultimately happens) the school looks awful.  We will look like we are both protecting predators and railroading sweet innocent kids and everything in between.  I guess step #1 is figuring out if this process involves any sort of public statement at the end.

You can not have the Athletic Department running the investigation - recipe for a disaster.  Talk about a potential for a cover up.  The days of the Athletic Department or a coach making things like this go away are long long gone.  Today we have to live with the outside investigation.  The problem is the outside investigator gets paid whether they take 60 days or 120 in fact they make more money dragging it out.  

5 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Me neither.  I must agree.  Get a life, anyway...  this thread (which I started, btw) at 80 pages?? really??

Evidently some are clueless to the general tone of these issues in the media and culture right now;  when a guy like Matt Lauer can be summarily fired like he was the other day, I think it's pretty clear that we've reached some sort of unprecedented tipping point on issues of sexual abuse/assault, not to mention simply stupid sexual nonsense like has been alleged in this case.  I also value integrity in the program, and the school. 

From my reading of the student code, and what little knowledge I have of what was alleged to happen -- duh, some rules were broken.  Hope I'm wrong, but we some of us may need a bracing reality check.  But my point is --  we are living in very troubled times regarding these issues of sexual misconduct, and the media is hungry for more. So be patient and do it right. 

If you don't want to support SLU athletics, then don't:  I can PM you a list of a couple dozen very worthy  local charities that could use some additional holiday love and support.

Fully agree. For those of you that have posted the Athletic Department is not one of the University's priorities, you are probably correct.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

For those complaining about Tilkowsky, here's my Ignore feature tutorial that I give about once a month:

1. Click the drop down arrow next to your name in the upper-right corner.
  2. "Ignored Users"
  3. In the box under "Add new user to ignore list" start typing: "tilkowsky" as long as it takes for his name to come up.
  4. Click the name, and choose what you'd like to ignore: Posts, Messages, Signature, and Mentions. In this case, I would recommend choosing all four.
  5. "Add User" and you're all set!

This really works. Trust me. Once you start reading the board without the annoying people, you won't be tempted to choose "Options - show this post" when you see the message where their posts would be.

I agree this works really well.  I have four on Ignore, well actually three as one uses two names, and the board is much better for me without those 4 (3). 

Oh, by the way, I think you mentioned that you have me on Ignore, so you won't read my complimentary post.  I'm okay with that.

57 minutes ago, slu06 said:

Well, compared to SLU's initial letter, this is vague and nebulous!

Imagine if they used some specific facts/dates...

Our clients, since day 1, have denied all accusations ....  No criminal charges has been pressed.  Our clients have been cooperating with all parties involved in an attempt to reach a speedy and just outcome.   Our clients were given notice on xyz that 123 was going to happen, and according to SLU's/Title IX's (or whatever) own stated rules, 123 has yet to happen.  Moreover, no good reason for the delay has been provided.  

Something simple, factually based, and objective would, in my opinion, would be more of a "shot across SLU's bow."

Also, regarding shot's across SLU's bow, if these guys want to stay at SLU and keep playing bball, not good to start a publicity fight, get cleared (hopefully), and then hope to be welcomed back by the administration with open arms.

You do realize that Rosenbloom does not work for SLU.  He works for his clients - the players - so why are you blaming the school for Rosenbloom's vague press release?

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

You can not have the Athletic Department running the investigation - recipe for a disaster.  Talk about a potential for a cover up.  The days of the Athletic Department or a coach making things like this go away are long long gone. 

Hey it worked great a North Carolina!

27 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

I think it's a fair question to ask how the university handles title IX situations that do not involve MBB/student athletes. No matter what you opinion, the facts are the facts. There isn't any grey area in sexual assault cases. Can't imagine if one of these kids were one of my kids or grandkids. It's a living hell all around. And Pestello is excited about a Noodles restaurant coming to SLU? So odd and alarming.

No gray area in sexual assault cases - are you kidding.  Two words Bill Cosby.

On 11/29/2017 at 10:17 AM, Tilkowsky said:

Would you prefer they rush to judgement and the players be found guilty?

Don't you want a thorough investigation?

Again, assume they won't play at all.

If they come back. 

Almost everything about this investigation is disturbing.  Clearly none of us has all the facts yet from what we do know it appears the scales have been tilted against the players from the start.  Clearly all involved made a poor decision yet the players are paying the brunt of the consequences, particularly so when considering that there seems to be a considerable likelihood that the initial accusations to the police were false.  Just wondering if the University is going to come down hard on that... I think we all know the answer to that. It doesn' take 2+ months to investigate this and everyone knows that.  The longer this charade continues the more it smells and lends credibility to those who suspect the administration is more interested in a politically correct solution rather than a fair, common sense ruling.  SLU should be ashamed.

1 hour ago, SLU_Lax said:

This thought always upsets me.  The Athletic Department is in no way responsible for running this investigation. 

It does, however, have a responsibility to bring up legitimate concerns and to voice those concerns to Pestello.  Those concerns could include things like the school potentially not following their own guidelines on conducting investigations or could include things like how Situation 1.0 ran.  The Athletic Department has a real voice in all of this and should be using that voice internally to make sure things are handled properly and reasonably (as best as they can know not being directly involved).  The AD cannot simply just bury their head in the sand and wait for this to be over.

It was terrible in the newspaper listening to Chris May say that he assumes a statement will be made when the process and investigation is over.  He should know if they plan to make a statement or not.

The AD has a dog in this fight because if Rosenblum brings this into the court of public opinion (no matter what ultimately happens) the school looks awful.  We will look like we are both protecting predators and railroading sweet innocent kids and everything in between.  I guess step #1 is figuring out if this process involves any sort of public statement at the end.

48 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You can not have the Athletic Department running the investigation - recipe for a disaster.  Talk about a potential for a cover up.  The days of the Athletic Department or a coach making things like this go away are long long gone.  Today we have to live with the outside investigation.  The problem is the outside investigator gets paid whether they take 60 days or 120 in fact they make more money dragging it out.  

-cheese, I'll let SLU_Lax speak on their own and correct me if I am wrong but I do not read that post to in any way indicate they are advocating for the ADept to run the Title IX investigation but rather for the ADept to put some heat on whoever is running said investigation to get the darn thing completed 

17 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

It really is amazing that on a message board that never agrees about anything, there is nearly 100% agreement that SLU has screwed this up in some fashion or another. 

I am not ready to Agee that they have screwed it up so far. They had no choice on the title 9 investigation. Once complete it had to go to a university hearing. Now if an acceptable decision comes out of that hearing in short order I would say they handled it well. My caviot would be short order is now. 

4 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

This is most likely Pestello's thought process.

I’ve never met Pestello, let alone had a conversation with him. I don’t know what his thought process would be. It’s at ththe very least the logic that he is imprisoned by in this investigation.

For the record I think Pestello seems like a good guy. But he is weak. University needs a strong leader that isn't afraid to do what is right and is smart, not needing to constantly make sure he's winning a student popularity contest. Just my two cents.