OT - RIP Jo Jo White

thetorch

Tremendous man passed today at 71.  I was lucky enough to have met him a few times as he knew my father and grandfather.

White starred on the 68 Olympic squad while many other black athletes boycotted.  Then he was embroiled in a dispute with STL draft board.  Sen Eagleton was instrumental on allowing White to get out of the draft.  Starred on the Celtics through a couple different eras and reached his peak as NBA finals MVP in 76.  The famous triple OT game in those finals, White logged 56 minutes.

We've probably had this debate before but White and Macauley are certainly the two best players to come out of STL with Bradley right behind them.  Everyone else is a distant 4th but I'm sure Beal or Tatum will soon take those spots.

He used to stop by the West Pine gym on Saturday mornings for pickup games. we would just watch in amazement as he .drilled 30 footers.  His senior year at McKinley High played on team with Harrison Steptor who later went on to star as guard at Michigan State under John Bennington(former SLU coach) and with ? Coleman who became a starting forward for Mizzou.  Amazingly McKinley did not win district that year

26 minutes ago, slu72 said:

SLU certainly missed out on some great locals back then.

Jo Jo is either the best or second best player to come out of St. Louis.  The SLU teams in Jo Jo's college years didn't suffer because of a lack of talent.  They had five guys that got drafted over that time period plus Joe Wiley.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Jo Jo is either the best or second best player to come out of St. Louis.  The SLU teams in Jo Jo's college years didn't suffer because of a lack of talent.  They had five guys that got drafted over that time period plus Joe Wiley.

The NBA draft featured a lot more rounds until the late '80s, so one must take that count of those drafted with a grain of salt.  Also, there were a whole lot fewer Div. 1 schools back then.

Easy Ed, Jo Jo, and Bradley are the holy trinity of St. Louis area players. Legends. 

According to my father, I met White a few times as a young boy growing up in Boston. My Dad's company did a lot with the C's and apparently he was a consummate class act. 

RIP Mr. White. 

5 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Easy Ed, Jo Jo, and Bradley are the holy trinity of St. Louis area players. Legends. 

According to my father, I met White a few times as a young boy growing up in Boston. My Dad's company did a lot with the C's and apparently he was a consummate class act. 

RIP Mr. White. 

not sure i wouldnt take larry hughes nba stats over bill bradley.   however i will concede bradley played on a legendary knicks national championship team. 

Tonka likes this

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The NBA draft featured a lot more rounds until the late '80s, so one must take that count of those drafted with a grain of salt.  Also, there were a whole lot fewer Div. 1 schools back then.

It featured more rounds but only 14 teams.  

One played one season on the ABA championship team.  Another had a six year ABA/NBA career.  A third  made the ABA all-rookie team, then the next season the ABA All-Star team and had a seven year career.

Those teams had talent.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It featured more rounds but only 14 teams.  

One played one season on the ABA championship team.  Another had a six year ABA/NBA career.  A third  made the ABA all-rookie team, then the next season the ABA All-Star team and had a seven year career.

Those teams had talent.

I don't mean to disparage the talent, but I do think that if there were still more rounds than two, more former Billikens since the late '80s would have been drafted.

no 3-point shot for White,McCauley,Bradley.  Walt Frazier and a guy named McNeil (SLU Carbondale-coached by alex Hanuum) used to also play in those pickup games.  SLU would get top local talent until Buddy Brehmer came along as coach.  He set the program back decades.

A St. Louis born player very few ever mention is Jennings HS Bob Kurland.  At 7' he was a giant in his days.  He played for OK State in the 1940's and lead the Cowboys to two NCAA titles and was a multiple AA.  He passed up pro ball to play AAU with the Phillips Pet team, which was not uncommon in the 1940's.  He helped win a Gold Medal twice for the US as an amateur.

7 minutes ago, papal said:

no 3-point shot for White,McCauley,Bradley.  Walt Frazier and a guy named McNeil (SLU Carbondale-coached by alex Hanuum) used to also play in those pickup games.  SLU would get top local talent until Buddy Brehmer came along as coach.  He set the program back decades.

-we have way too many examples of this

56 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

not sure i wouldnt take larry hughes nba stats over bill bradley.   however i will concede bradley played on a legendary knicks national championship team. 

Love Larry but I think David Lee and Bradley Beal have,will have better NBA career's. 

6 minutes ago, willie said:

Love Larry but I think David Lee and Bradley Beal have,will have better NBA career's. 

as in not yet.   

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

A St. Louis born player very few ever mention is Jennings HS Bob Kurland.  At 7' he was a giant in his days.  He played for OK State in the 1940's and lead the Cowboys to two NCAA titles and was a multiple AA.  He passed up pro ball to play AAU with the Phillips Pet team, which was not uncommon in the 1940's.  He helped win a Gold Medal twice for the US as an amateur.

Olympic golds?

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

As I recall we had guys like Ferry, Barry Ohrms (sp), Neidemeyer (sp). Add  Wiley, but not big enough for the NBA, on those mid to late 60s teams. You're really telling me Jo Jo would not have been a valuable addition? Come on, Brian, I respect you too much.

Just now, slu72 said:

As I recall we had guys like Ferry, Barry Ohrms (sp), Neidemeyer (sp). Add  Wiley, but not big enough for the NBA, on those mid to late 60s teams. You're really telling me Jo Jo would not have been a valuable addition? Come on, Brian, I respect you too much.

Jo Jo would have been the best Billiken ever with maybe the exception of Easy Ed.  

My point was getting talent wasn't the big problem back then.  They had some good talent. The coaching was bad.  

4 hours ago, papal said:

Who set us back more Brehmer, Ekker, Crews or Pestello?