JGood article

Cowboy

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Ortiz is scum.  He could write an article affirming Travis Ford is the second coming and I still wouldn't read it.

see this https://deadspin.com/former-bbwaa-president-writes-eulogy-for-cardinal-who-c-1821476511

Not a good look for Ortiz. To be fair, the Catholic Church as an institution has totally failed in how they have handled Law after the scandals. My understanding is that he was in a relatively cushy place in the Vatican and that there were plans to celebrate his death. So to criticize a Catholic (and I am making an assumption here that Ortiz is Catholic) for this eulogy, without recognizing that the Catholic Church itself has given implicit permission for this would be a bit unfair to do in a vacuum. 

That being said, why the hell would anyone write a public eulogy for Law? How can one not know what the reactions will be. What even is the point?

39 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Not a good look for Ortiz. To be fair, the Catholic Church as an institution has totally failed in how they have handled Law after the scandals. My understanding is that he was in a relatively cushy place in the Vatican and that there were plans to celebrate his death. So to criticize a Catholic (and I am making an assumption here that Ortiz is Catholic) for this eulogy, without recognizing that the Catholic Church itself has given implicit permission for this would be a bit unfair to do in a vacuum. 

That being said, why the hell would anyone write a public eulogy for Law? How can one not know what the reactions will be. What even is the point?

615 - i like your posts but this is confusing. It’s not unfair to criticize to Ortiz whether in a vacuum or otherwise. The man wrote an apolgetic eulogy for a guy who covered up child rape. 

Great article on Goodwin.

Not being immersed in STL anymore and its daily sports landscape, I didn't know much about Ortiz. No matter what Cardinal Law did for him and his family - and it wasn't much, honestly - there is absolutely no reason to defend that guy.

Wasn't Ortiz also the one who criticized SLU and the three players in early October? He's going to call out this situation and then turn around and write a positive obit for a guy who oversaw systemic child rape for decades? Man.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Great article on Goodwin.

Not being immersed in STL anymore and its daily sports landscape, I didn't know much about Ortiz. No matter what Cardinal Law did for him and his family - and it wasn't much, honestly - there is absolutely no reason to defend that guy.

Wasn't Ortiz also the one who criticized SLU and the three players in early October? He's going to call out this situation and then turn around and write a positive obit for a guy who oversaw systemic child rape for decades? Man.

He likes the attention.

DirtyRican likes this

His twitter feed is nuts and crazy self-righteous. He likes to talk about how often he goes to church and where he sits. He even passive-aggressively seeks acknowledgment and credit for how and when he prays.  It is just bizarre. 

He was an outspoken critic of the local MLS financing "on principle" without any attempt at understanding the source and structure of it. 

I think there may be a reason he went from a massive market like Houston to a mid-market like St. Louis. 

Ortiz is a wannabe Skip Bayless. He doesn’t know squat about sports and covers it up by making large hot take proclamations about who should be fired or traded. He’s an absolutely trash writer and I’m pretty dissapointed the baseball writers association had him as their president.

Between Hochmann and Ortiz, the PD has to have the worst sports columnists of any major newspaper in the past 30+ years.

4 minutes ago, NH said:

Ortiz is a wannabe Skip Bayless. He doesn’t know squat about sports and covers it up by making large hot take proclamations about who should be fired or traded. He’s an absolutely trash writer and I’m pretty dissapointed the baseball writers association had him as their president.

Between Hochmann and Ortiz, the PD has to have the worst sports columnists of any major newspaper in the past 30+ years.

His baseball hall of fame article made me want to vomit.

He went on and on about how character matters. He spent almost the entire column writing about how he would never vote Chipper Jones into the hall saying he is a terrible person. (Basically because he disagrees with him politically.) And he was going to stop voting for Bonds. (because of steriods) Then he goes on to say he was voting Roger Clemons in. Roger Clemons is a steroid user and a scum bag but that doesn't matter because he once gave Ortiz an interview. 

Not only does Ortiz suck at his job he's a hypocrite too.

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Not only does Ortiz suck at his job he's a hypocrite too.

I think that's what makes it so easy to hate this guy. "Character matters" and also "Cardinal Law was a good guy, as far as I'm concerned".

That's another subject, but baseball writers keeping out the steroid era guys are all hypocrites. A lot of them made their careers in that era, building up those players' legends, and then as soon as it collapses, they're right there to publicly shame them all.

22 minutes ago, NH said:

Agree wholeheartedly. I do have to give Hochmann credit though, the article yesterday about the RB from Burroughs was really good

Just now, Box and Won said:

I like Hochman.  Ortiz is awful.

Overall I like Hochman. His obsessive use of 90's pop culture references can drive me nuts but for the most part I like his content. 

I'm probably in the minority here but I like Fredrickson. 

I think he is the best of the bunch.

6 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Overall I like Hochman. His obsessive use of 90's pop culture references can drive me nuts but for the most part I like his content. 

Frederickson is by far the most talented of the writers brought in to replace Strauss, Burwell, and Bernie.  I think he is pretty good right now and expect him to get better.  His writing is already more mature than that of his two more veteran colleagues. Hochman needs to realize he isn't a 20 something anymore.  Plus, he needs realize that even Bill Simmons figures out years ago that you can't keep going to the 90's pop culture well.

47 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I agree that BenFred is the best of the bunch.  Hochman for me is too pro Mizzou.  He can't write a SLU article without a Mizzou reference.  Some of his articles don't really have a point too so can be hit or miss.  

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

His piece in the JB kid was good 

I agree, really enjoyed it. Those are really the type of stories he should be doing. Personality features. You don’t need to be a sportswriter to do that though. Would like my sportswriters to do that but then also be able to do a column outlining what the Cardinals should be able to do this offseason.

3 hours ago, davidnark said:

His twitter feed is nuts and crazy self-righteous. He likes to talk about how often he goes to church and where he sits. He even passive-aggressively seeks acknowledgment and credit for how and when he prays.  It is just bizarre. 

He was an outspoken critic of the local MLS financing "on principle" without any attempt at understanding the source and structure of it. 

I think there may be a reason he went from a massive market like Houston to a mid-market like St. Louis. 

I think he belongs to my parish, or at least I have seen him at mass on a few occasions.  I had to stop following him on Twitter, he really is the worst.