Carteare on TV Tonight

kshoe

10 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Cool. Thanks for the reminder. Hoping to catch Webster in the City of Palms Classic  next week

very nice.  I think my parents are trying to make it down for that as well. 

I know the Memphis had Webster Groves completely out talented with four guys as big or bigger than Gordon.  But watching the game, no way Gordon is one and done.  May even have him for four years.  Will be interesting how he looks with D1 Players around him.  What did the Memphis team have? Four or five D1 players and at least one that almost looked like he could play in the League now.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

I know the Memphis had Webster Groves completely out talented with four guys as big or bigger than Gordon.  But watching the game, no way Gordon is one and done.  May even have him for four years. 

There was a discussion on this board some months back about Gordon being a likely two-and-doner.  He's not that kind of athlete.  If you're 6'8 1/2 you've got to be more than strong and solid in the post to leave for the NBA after two years.  Tyler Cook is a more explosive athlete than Gordon and he isn't leaving after two years either. 

9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

There was a discussion on this board some months back about Gordon being a likely two-and-doner.  He's not that kind of athlete.  If you're 6'8 1/2 you've got to be more than strong and solid in the post to leave for the NBA after two years.  Tyler Cook is a more explosive athlete than Gordon and he isn't leaving after two years either. 

I agree.  Gordon is more skilled but Cook is more athletic.  Not many 1 and done 6-8 post players anymore.

10 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

I know the Memphis had Webster Groves completely out talented with four guys as big or bigger than Gordon.  But watching the game, no way Gordon is one and done.  May even have him for four years.  Will be interesting how he looks with D1 Players around him.  What did the Memphis team have? Four or five D1 players and at least one that almost looked like he could play in the League now.

Memphis has the number 1 2019 prospect. So their classes Marvin Bagley 

Does anyone have a box score from this game? I know Gordon didn't impress - it's hard to look good when you're up against the #1 team (and junior big man) in the nation and missing your 5-star PG - but I'm just curious as to what his numbers were.

I haven't thought of him as a potential one-and-done. He grew early and just doesn't have the frame or length right now for that. He's a polished player and will be excellent in college. We'll see where he stands in a few years w/r/t NBA potential. Just not yet.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Does anyone have a box score from this game? I know Gordon didn't impress - it's hard to look good when you're up against the #1 team (and junior big man) in the nation and missing your 5-star PG - but I'm just curious as to what his numbers were.

I haven't thought of him as a potential one-and-done. He grew early and just doesn't have the frame or length right now for that. He's a polished player and will be excellent in college. We'll see where he stands in a few years w/r/t NBA potential. Just not yet.

I caught a few minutes of the game and believe Gordon fouled out with 6 points (4 of which came a few minutes prior to fouling out).

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I know he had 6 points(3 came late) and 5 fouls.  I kept keeping track but at one point he was 0-7.  The best part about Gordon, is how well he moves with his size. 

I DVR'd the game and buzzed through it. That Memphis squad is a pretty amazing all-star team they have assembled. Webster's guards were completely overmatched. They couldn't get the ball to Gordon, so the coach then had Gordon bringing the ball up to get it in his hands. His boxscore line was unimpressive, but I was very impressed with how well Gordon handled the ball and he seemed very quick for his size. And he seemed to block or alter a lot of shots. Maybe not quite as explosive as French, but still pretty imposing. Offensively, he looks like he can be pretty effective around the free throw line and looks to put it on the floor and drive. I can see him complementing French offensively well. French is more of a back to the basket player, while Gordon seems to like to face the basket. Gordon also looks to pass. Several times his teammates couldn't finish.

I never considered Gordon a one and done player - good for us!

Watching Gordon handle the ball yesterday popped this idea into my head and I immediately needed a towel. Do you think coach Ford could play Gordon at the 3, French at the 4, and Santos at the 5? I think size-wise we could match up with anyone and dominate almost all a10 schools. I know this may create issues with driving lanes and clogging up the lane but it's hard not to get excited with that kind of size and athleticism. 

NextYearBill likes this