Class Record Watch - 2017-2018

Pistol

It may seem like the worst time for this, given the extremely thin roster and uncertainty about suspensions and injuries, but I kept a thread for class record updates last year and found that it really helped keep my interest during tough times. Without further ado:

-Hasahn French has 13 blocks, just 2 shy of 10th place on the all-time freshman blocks list. I really hope his knee is okay, because he's going to shatter all kinds of rebounding and blocks numbers if he plays a full season. He's on pace to be #1 with a bullet for blocks (Melvin Robinson leads, with 51), he's currently #3 for rebounding average, and if he keeps his current pace, he'd easily take third and possibly second all-time in total rebounding. If his current percentage held, he'd be 9th in scoring percentage. He's also got a chance to crack the top 10 in steals.

-Jordan Goodwin is going to be all over these lists. If his pace holds, he'll be very close to the top 10 in scoring, both total points and average, (I'd like to think he's going to work his average up all season and make it), he'd be tied for 4th in rebounding average and near the same spot in total rebounds, and he would easily be the all-time leader in assists (Mitchell had 113 and he's on pace for 140+) and steals (Hughes had 69 and he's on pace for 80+). He's also on pace to crack the blocks list, and would be around 7th-8th. So, without currently being a threat to make any of the shooting percentages lists, Goodwin's name should still be on 7 of 11 freshman top-10 lists. That would be cool.

-Jalen Johnson is on pace for around 7th on the sophomore 3-pointers list, and he'd be tied with Lisch for 3rd in 3-point percentage (.409). That's all he's looking at for the moment, although he'd be close in overall FG percentage and blocks.

-Javon Bess is just outside the top 10 in junior scoring average and would also fall just shy in total points. He's a little bit short in steals, as well. He would currently be 3rd in all-time junior FT percentage with .854 - he's easily the best FT shooter currently active, by nearly 200 basis points, although he's above his averages in HS and at MSU so I'd expect it to come down as the season progresses.

-D.J. Foreman would be by far the all-time leader in FG percentage for juniors, currently at .692 on 26 attempts. You need at least 100 attempts to make the list, a threshold he should have no issue reaching, and Tom Frericks is currently tops on the list at .574. Foreman has the kind of hilarious split of being .692 from the field and .222 from the line.

-Davell Roby has an outside chance at three-pointers made, but he's going to have to pick up the pace to exceed Cobbin's 52, currently 10th on the senior list.

-Aaron Hines, Rashed Anthony, and Markos Psimitis are currently not on pace to come within reach of any class records.

I will revisit this throughout the season and keep everyone updated.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pistol great post to start this thread.  i would have given you a "good post' but apparently i have used up those.   

Steve, come on.  why the limit at all.   even if any of us have it in for a poster and might unfairly give them bad posts, maybe that is a message to that poster he/she needs to fix their perception with the board membership.   

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

pistol great post to start this thread.  i would have given you a "good post' but apparently i have used up those.   

Steve, come on.  why the limit at all.   even if any of us have it in for a poster and might unfairly give them bad posts, maybe that is a message to that poster he/she needs to fix their perception with the board membership.   

I'll respect Steve's process. My guess is that it's to limit individual posters from overusing the ratings to drive up or drive down other users too significantly. Not everyone thinks to use the ratings, so those that do would have an outsized influence.

I'm fine with my neutrally scored post.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

It may seem like the worst time for this, given the extremely thin roster and uncertainty about suspensions and injuries, but I kept a thread for class record updates last year and found that it really helped keep my interest during tough times. Without further ado:

-Hasahn French has 13 blocks, just 2 shy of 10th place on the all-time freshman blocks list. I really hope his knee is okay, because he's going to shatter all kinds of rebounding and blocks numbers if he plays a full season. He's on pace to be #1 with a bullet for blocks (Melvin Robinson leads, with 51), he's currently #3 for rebounding average, and if he keeps his current pace, he'd easily take third and possibly second all-time in total rebounding. If his current percentage held, he'd be 9th in scoring percentage. He's also got a chance to crack the top 10 in steals.

-Jordan Goodwin is going to be all over these lists. If his pace holds, he'll be very close to the top 10 in scoring, both total points and average, (I'd like to think he's going to work his average up all season and make it), he'd be tied for 4th in rebounding average and near the same spot in total rebounds, and he would easily be the all-time leader in assists (Mitchell had 113 and he's on pace for 140+) and steals (Hughes had 69 and he's on pace for 80+). He's also on pace to crack the blocks list, and would be around 7th-8th. So, without currently being a threat to make any of the shooting percentages lists, Goodwin's name should still be on 7 of 11 freshman top-10 lists. That would be cool.

-Jalen Johnson is on pace for around 7th on the sophomore 3-pointers list, and he'd be tied with Lisch for 3rd in 3-point percentage (.409). That's all he's looking at for the moment, although he'd be close in overall FG percentage and blocks.

-Javon Bess is just outside the top 10 in junior scoring average and would also fall just shy in total points. He's a little bit short in steals, as well. He would currently be 3rd in all-time junior FT percentage with .854 - he's easily the best FT shooter currently active, by nearly 200 basis points, although he's above his averages in HS and at MSU so I'd expect it to come down as the season progresses.

-D.J. Foreman would be by far the all-time leader in FG percentage for juniors, currently at .692 on 26 attempts. You need at least 100 attempts to make the list, a threshold he should have no issue reaching, and Tom Frericks is currently tops on the list at .574. Foreman has the kind of hilarious split of being .692 from the field and .222 from the line.

-Davell Roby has an outside chance at three-pointers made, but he's going to have to pick up the pace to exceed Cobbin's 52, currently 10th on the senior list.

-Aaron Hines, Rashed Anthony, and Markos Psimitis are currently not on pace to come within reach of any class records.

I will revisit this throughout the season and keep everyone updated.

Pistol, my records go deeper than the SLU records listed on their page.  As I posted on another thread, French is 15th in Freshman Blocks, passing Bonner, Heinrich and Yarbrough last night, all whom had 12 in their freshman season.  Braun is next on the list with 14 blocks, good for 14th place, then Brian Smith with 15 in 13th place.  There is always a * with blocks, as SLU didn't start recording them until 1980 - 81, and of course freshmen weren't eligible until 1972-73. (I wonder what Easy Ed or Joe Wiley would have done if allowed to play as a freshman.)

Roby is 13th on Career 3's made and 15th on Career 3's attempted. He is currently 14th in 3 FG%, just 0.005% behind Highmark.

I am still reporting errors to the AD office.  If you use the career individual stats as the bench mark, the record lists aren't 100% accurate. I wonder why they are still posting the 2015-2016 History Link and not 2016-2017.

I'm the one who is responsible for the record book. I've heard from several people over the years (I assume some are on the board here...) who have sent in updates...as always it's much appreciated! 

We are in the process (going on year 3) of overhauling the record book. What is posted now are records and stats that have been carried over from year-to-year, format-to-format – the original copy was probably created back in the 1970s or 1980s. Some career stats, which a lot of the class records are based upon, are inaccurate. Luckily, technology has evolved making it much easier to verify stats and records from years past, and that is the stage we are in now. I'd say we're about 75 percent through the process – as the season progresses it's a priority of mine to ensure at least freshmen class records are up-to-date as Hasahn and Jordan will for sure be involved in those.

I know some of records are pretty sloppy – there's even players who are listed as playing four years prior to 1972-73. But I'd rather update everything at once instead of making small changes here and there as it relates to career records, etc.

If anyone is really interested or knowledgable on SLU hoops history please let me know. Hope to have a group of people to send the finished product to for feedback...

-BK

NH, RiseAndGrind and Pistol like this

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I'm not sure about that but i know he is going to shatter the record for times making me say "WTF are you doing?" In a season.

Previous record holders include Brett Jolly and Kevin Footes.

I don't think Jolly got enough minutes for that to happen. Yarbrough might be a contender though.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Pistol, my records go deeper than the SLU records listed on their page.  As I posted on another thread, French is 15th in Freshman Blocks, passing Bonner, Heinrich and Yarbrough last night, all whom had 12 in their freshman season.  Braun is next on the list with 14 blocks, good for 14th place, then Brian Smith with 15 in 13th place.  There is always a * with blocks, as SLU didn't start recording them until 1980 - 81, and of course freshmen weren't eligible until 1972-73. (I wonder what Easy Ed or Joe Wiley would have done if allowed to play as a freshman.)

Roby is 13th on Career 3's made and 15th on Career 3's attempted. He is currently 14th in 3 FG%, just 0.005% behind Highmark.

I am still reporting errors to the AD office.  If you use the career individual stats as the bench mark, the record lists aren't 100% accurate. I wonder why they are still posting the 2015-2016 History Link and not 2016-2017.

Sounds good. I'm just going on what's publicly available here, so I do the best I can with current stats vs. the publicly available record on SLU's website.

46 minutes ago, Brian Kunderman said:

I'm the one who is responsible for the record book. I've heard from several people over the years (I assume some are on the board here...) who have sent in updates...as always it's much appreciated! 

We are in the process (going on year 3) of overhauling the record book. What is posted now are records and stats that have been carried over from year-to-year, format-to-format – the original copy was probably created back in the 1970s or 1980s. Some career stats, which a lot of the class records are based upon, are inaccurate. Luckily, technology has evolved making it much easier to verify stats and records from years past, and that is the stage we are in now. I'd say we're about 75 percent through the process – as the season progresses it's a priority of mine to ensure at least freshmen class records are up-to-date as Hasahn and Jordan will for sure be involved in those.

I know some of records are pretty sloppy – there's even players who are listed as playing four years prior to 1972-73. But I'd rather update everything at once instead of making small changes here and there as it relates to career records, etc.

If anyone is really interested or knowledgable on SLU hoops history please let me know. Hope to have a group of people to send the finished product to for feedback...

-BK

Thanks for the info, Brian. If I were in STL, I would volunteer some hours to help out in person. I don't know that I'm particularly knowledgeable, but certainly interested and would be happy to help out or provide feedback however I can.

In the meantime, what's the preferred process for submitting feedback? I've noticed a few small errors.

1 hour ago, Brian Kunderman said:

-BK

Brian is there any word on French ?He is certainly needed. 

2 hours ago, Brian Kunderman said:

-BK

Thanks for the update Brian, on why the 2015-16 version is still on line.  Every time I take a deep dive into the records, I find some more quirks.  Some of the items I have emailed you and your predecessor in the past won't matter if they disappear in the reconciliation.  

7 hours ago, Brian Kunderman said:

-BK

Brian I have several older media guides and some of their stats differ from the current ones.  I always wondered if a database existed of box scores.  I have a few old media guides that contain complete box scores for the season previous.

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-this seems to be the place for a stats question....how many 1000 point scorers do we have in our history? the on-line record book shows the top 20 but I am wondering the total number - thanks in advance

There are 30.  Those not listed in the record book are: 

21 McLAUGHLIN 1170
22 CONKLIN 1161
23 FERRY 1128
24 MIMLITZ 1116
25 COBBIN 1107
26 ELLIS 1062
27 BURNS 1049
28 VOUKOUYAS 1046
29 HARRIS 1037
30 COLE 1016

51 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You didn't ask, but here are the next 10.  This is as far as my list goes.  Roby is at 833 today.

31 KOCH 982
32 TODD 981
33 LOE 973
34 FISHER 965
35 DOBBS 965
35 SMITH, G 951
37 CRAWFORD 950
38 LOVE 931
39 NIEMANN 928
40 ALCORN 910

Donnie Dobbs did that in just two years!  (Justin Love, too).

46 minutes ago, willie said:

This has been said before but David Burns was 1 of the Billiken all time greats. 

FASTEST billiken ever

Just did some research on Bonzie Colson, who I think Goodwin resembles with his built stature and long arms. Colson is now regarded as a great three point shooter, having shot 43% last year as a junior. His first two years he shot 14.3% and 33.3%, so there's definitely hope for JGood's shot