GDT: SLU vs. WMU - Busting the Broncos

Pistol

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until the university gets their act together, I refuse to go watch this team. It's not fun and I just sit there and am miserable. I've supported this program for so many lean years and it never gets better. I don't blame Ford, AD or even players playing their butts off this time around. University is just systemically dysfunctional since Father B left and I feel for everyone that works there and all the students. All I want is to see place do well and it never can get out of its own way. Sorry to be so negative, tonight was so bad to watch.

BigMouthBilliken likes this

Why is no one talking about Travis Ford's performance as a Coach? Yes we lack depth and yes we can't shoot but Travis Fire is not helping at all. We lost the Detroit Mercy game because he insisted on playing that trap zone for 3/4 of the game, just inviting them to take as many open 3's as they wanted. And if you watched the game tonight, we essentially didn't run an offense. Our offense consisted of switching the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds followed by a bad 3-point shot or someone driving into 4 defenders. It's just bad coaching. I'm not saying that everything is Ford's fault, but he certainly isn't helping things!

5 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Until the university gets their act together, I refuse to go watch this team. It's not fun and I just sit there and am miserable. I've supported this program for so many lean years and it never gets better. I don't blame Ford, AD or even players playing their butts off this time around. University is just systemically dysfunctional since Father B left and I feel for everyone that works there and all the students. All I want is to see place do well and it never can get out of its own way. Sorry to be so negative, tonight was so bad to watch.

I don't know how you can blame the university for the basketball team playing terribly. What does the school president have to do with the product on the court. What you have just said is absurd. No students are going to show up until we start winning games, and that has nothing to do with the administration. And if you're referring to the suspended players, the investigation is on going and if those players were allowed to play, there would be an outcry from other people. It's a no-win situation for the administration. But to blame anyone but the coaches and players for this years performance is a complete joke.

5 minutes ago, RyGuyBilliken said:

Why is no one talking about Travis Ford's performance as a Coach? Yes we lack depth and yes we can't shoot but Travis Fire is not helping at all. We lost the Detroit Mercy game because he insisted on playing that trap zone for 3/4 of the game, just inviting them to take as many open 3's as they wanted. And if you watched the game tonight, we essentially didn't run an offense. Our offense consisted of switching the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds followed by a bad 3-point shot or someone driving into 4 defenders. It's just bad coaching. I'm not saying that everything is Ford's fault, but he certainly isn't helping things!

Dude, we don’t have any perimeter shooters.  NONE.  We only have 6 legit scholarship players, one of which was out most all of the second half and teams have figured out how to defend us.  There is no quick fix here. Ford figured it out last year and got the most out of what he had so dumping on him after 6 games seems a little premature.  He’s walking a tightrope trying to keep this team competitive thru the “suspensions” while hoping he’ll have the team he recruited available at some point.  It ain’t pretty but it’s not on Ford.  By the way, WMU is going to be a top team in the MAC...

1 minute ago, RyGuyBilliken said:

I don't know how you can blame the university for the basketball team playing terribly. What does the school president have to do with the product on the court. What you have just said is absurd. No students are going to show up until we start winning games, and that has nothing to do with the administration. And if you're referring to the suspended players, the investigation is on going and if those players were allowed to play, there would be an outcry from other people. It's a no-win situation for the administration. But to blame anyone but the coaches and players for this years performance is a complete joke.

Pestello is in charge of everything. Good or bad. Something isn't right at the university and the compounding of stupidity never stops. No one knows what is going on and it's been over 60 days. Didn't the university say 60 days and there would be a decision? If that's true, then that would fall under university and president is in charge. If I'm wrong please correct me. Thanks

I was at the game and my thinking is that we were losing but not badly up to the time when French came out and went to the back with the trainer. Does anyone know what happened to French? Is he injured? After French left the lead in favor of W Mich increased rapidly. 

Hate to say it, but even with the suspended/sitting out/in-limbo players + Welmer, I don't think we would be a very good team. We are sub-par defensively. Can't shoot free throws. Can't shoot 3s. Have no chemistry. And we are getting out-coached. Some of this stuff is fixable, some of it 'is what it is'. I still expect to win more than we lose this season...at least, we better. 

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I was at the game and my thinking is that we were losing but not badly up to the time when French came out and went to the back with the trainer. Does anyone know what happened to French? Is he injured? After French left the lead in favor of W Mich increased rapidly. 

As @Westy03 said, French appeared to hyperextend his knee in the first half.  Then in the 2nd half, it appeared to be a non-contact injury to one of his knees. It was an awkward looking injury in the 2nd half, which never seems good when we’re talking about a player’s knees. 

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

He’s injured. From what I saw, contact injury involving the leg. Hobbled around during the timeout, badly missed first free throw, made the second, then Foreman came on to replace him. Once he got to the end of the bench, the laid down on the floor and the trainer started working on him. Didn’t see him the rest of the game.

Because the players are not playing for the issue they were involved in is not proof that the school is falling apart - get a grip.  As was said earlier we simply have no scoring - with perimeter scoring of some kind the paint will be packed in and then you lose that part of the game.  Until we get some consistent offense from the perimeter it will be tough sledding.

1 minute ago, Bizziken said:

Hate to say it, but even with the suspended/sitting out/in-limbo players + Welmer, I don't think we would be a very good team. We are sub-par defensively. Can't shoot free throws. Can't shoot 3s. Have no chemistry. And we are getting out-coached. Some of this stuff is fixable, some of it 'is what it is'. I still expect to win more than we lose this season...at least, we better. 

And I couldn’t disagree more. 

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

He’s injured. From what I saw, contact injury involving the leg. Hobbled around during the timeout, badly missed first free throw, made the second, then Foreman came on to replace him. Once he got to the end of the bench, the laid down on the floor and the trainer started working on him. Didn’t see him the rest of the game.

From where I sat, it looked like he sprained his ankle pretty badly. The trainer made the 'taping' motion as if they needed to go back and retape it. But who knows...hopefully nothing serious. 

Sick of SLU caring about feelings...or potential outcry from other people.  DO WHAT YOUR DAMN DONORS WANT.  I graduated in 2009 and attend countless events on campus with my family, donate to SLU several times a year, purchase BB tickets, etc.  Im done with SLU until they get their act together.  Sorry if some don't agree, but if what I have been told is true (on S2) then the players shouldn't haven't sat out a single game.  I could care less about people's feelings.  Let the guys play. SLU catered to the BS clocktower accords, now they are sitting players for absurd accusations.  Lets not forget the atrocity in hiring crews and letting that train wreck proceed for 2 years too long.  Where to even begin with the marketing department; pretty sure undergrads in Cook could do a better job.  SLU needs an administrative overhaul.....but thats just my opinion.  Bottom line, SLU will not get another dollar of mine while stupidity continues.  

jimbofive and 3star_recruit like this

3 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

From where I sat, it looked like he sprained his ankle pretty badly. The trainer made the 'taping' motion as if they needed to go back and retape it. But who knows...hopefully nothing serious. 

The motion the trainer made was to sub French out. He tweaked his knee

20 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Pestello is in charge of everything. Good or bad. Something isn't right at the university and the compounding of stupidity never stops. No one knows what is going on and it's been over 60 days. Didn't the university say 60 days and there would be a decision? If that's true, then that would fall under university and president is in charge. If I'm wrong please correct me. Thanks

Yes, it has been over 60 days, but unless the police investigation has concluded without me be aware of it, the universities hands are pretty much tied. Also, due to title 9 rules, and personal privacy, there is no reason for any of to have any information until the investigation is complete. Imagine if your son was accused of something or your daughter was an accuser, would you want information leaking before the investigation was complete. Think of the real world instead of just as a fan of a basketball team.

55 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

2 bad losses in a row on our home court. Free the two players; 60 days is up already is it not? How can they travel to NYC yet not be allowed into Chaifetz arena?

Hope we can put up 30 at Hinkle on Saturday. 

Just need more than twenty really.......

Just now, RyGuyBilliken said:

Yes, it has been over 60 days, but unless the police investigation has concluded without me be aware of it, the universities hands are pretty much tied. Also, due to title 9 rules, and personal privacy, there is no reason for any of to have any information until the investigation is complete. Imagine if your son was accused of something or your daughter was an accuser, would you want information leaking before the investigation was complete. Think of the real world instead of just as a fan of a basketball team.

The police investigation was done after 2 days. The players werent even questioned. It's all about the school title xi investigation 

6 minutes ago, gravilst said:

Sick of SLU caring about feelings...or potential outcry from other people.  DO WHAT YOUR DAMN DONORS WANT.  I graduated in 2009 and attend countless events on campus with my family, donate to SLU several times a year, purchase BB tickets, etc.  Im done with SLU until they get their act together.  Sorry if some don't agree, but if what I have been told is true (on S2) then the players shouldn't haven't sat out a single game.  I could care less about people's feelings.  Let the guys play. SLU catered to the BS clocktower accords, now they are sitting players for absurd accusations.  Lets not forget the atrocity in hiring crews and letting that train wreck proceed for 2 years too long.  Where to even begin with the marketing department; pretty sure undergrads in Cook could do a better job.  SLU needs an administrative overhaul.....but thats just my opinion.  Bottom line, SLU will not get another dollar of mine while stupidity continues.  

Your post is incredibly naive. If the players are innocent, they will rejoin the team when the investigation is complete. But if the players are guilty, and they've been playing all this time, you've got a Baylor situation on your hands. There's. I reason to make a bad situation worse.