Jesus Ortiz

I can't stand Ortiz and I know I'm not alone on that. I will say that I enjoyed his article on Roby today. 

I didn't see anything posted about it so I figured I'd  post it here. 

Even after reading this article I still think Ortiz is a giant ******.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, willie said:

I like Ortiz. Only journalist in town who doesn’t take the company line. Does he piss  me off at times? Sure. At least he brings out emotion 

Ortiz is the only sports journalist ive actually hated. The rest i just think suck or i dont like them.  I refuse to read any of his pieces.

3 hours ago, willie said:

I like Ortiz. Only journalist in town who doesn’t take the company line. Does he piss  me off at times? Sure. At least he brings out emotion 

Burwell and Straus didn't take the company line and I disagreed with them about 85% of the time but they made me think and I enjoyed their writting. Ortiz says stuff just to be an ass and is a complete jerk about it. Maybe one day he can learn to play the bad guy writer but he isn't there yet. 

3 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Considering how solid of a player Roby has been even during some of the worst seasons in SLU basketball history, I think he is going to be a absolute dynamite this year. He is going to flourish with good players finally around him.  

Agree.

Roby deserves more credit than he gets. People see him as a Crew's recruit and dismiss him but I think he has earned a lot of respect for how he has gone about his business. 

Littlebill likes this

Good column today by Ortiz.

His contrarian/hot take columns don't really earn the "I'm smarter than you." tone that Strauss also had. (And I really liked Strauss).  He reminds me more of Burwell though I think Burwell actively tried to piss people off more that Ortiz does.

I do think about half of the hate that goes Ortiz's way in this community would go away if his name were James Smith.

HoosierPal likes this

10 hours ago, ARon said:

Good column today by Ortiz.

His contrarian/hot take columns don't really earn the "I'm smarter than you." tone that Strauss also had. (And I really liked Strauss).  He reminds me more of Burwell though I think Burwell actively tried to piss people off more that Ortiz does.

I do think about half of the hate that goes Ortiz's way in this community would go away if his name were James Smith.

Seriously, you think about half the people just don't like him because of his name (race).? 

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

Seriously, you think about half the people just don't like him because of his name (race).? 

I love the logic that goes into that conclusion.  The same people praising Burwell don't like Ortiz because of his race.

Sometimes people just aren't good at a specific job.  Ortiz might have been a good beat writer, but he has been a lousy columnist.  Neither of those facts are impacted by his name or his ethnic background.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I love the logic that goes into that conclusion.  The same people praising Burwell don't like Ortiz because of his race.

Sometimes people just aren't good at a specific job.  Ortiz might have been a good beat writer, but he has been a lousy columnist.  Neither of those facts are impacted by his name or his ethnic background.

I wouldn't venture to say that people on this board don't like him because of his race because the only negative comments I've heard about him on here were directly related to to his takes on Billiken basketball. 

However, I know that he has had some racially charged personal backlash since moving to St. Louis beyond this board. 

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2017/05/22/post-dispatch-columnist-who-raises-these-racists-here

Do I think that St. Louis is more racist than other places? No. I think there are racisms, and each form of racism takes hold and expresses itself in different ways depending on local contexts. 

Do I think that a forum of mostly well educated people dislike Ortiz because of his race? No. 

Do I think that some of the backlash to Ortiz in the wider St. Louis community is due to racism? Yes. 

ARon likes this

2 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Do I think that some of the backlash to Ortiz in the wider St. Louis community is due to racism? Yes. 

I grew up here and I completely disagree with this.

Just because some local idiots said some dumb things does not prove anything about this community.

1 month ago I was working with an immigrant in Michigan and some idiot said he was going to call immigration on him.  I do not think Michigan is a racist state just one idiot, it happens.

I liked the Roby article but did not like his article about the practices being closed.

Can't believe there are actually people who enjoy what Ortiz writes. Strauss and Burwell had substance. Even Hochman has some substance.

What Ortiz does is run with a lazy narrative and stretch it out to where it is long enough to be considered an article length worth publishing. We could go into any decent high school in the area and find a writer with as much "talent" as Soft Hands has. 

The amazing laziness that produced his brutal, in-the-moment hot take columns regarding the US Soccer collapse was astounding. The column about practices being closed - provoked ZERO thought from the reader, and frankly, felt like word vomit when trying to get through it. 

Recent hot takes from Ortiz:

The Cardinals aren't that good, Sep 20

The Cardinals aren't that good, Sep 29

Billikens are "in hiding", Oct 1

Cardinals need to upgrade their hitting, Oct 4 (See Sep 20 & 29)

Cardinals need to upgrade their pitching, Oct 6, 7, 8 (See Sep 20 & 29)

Cardinals must find players who embrace "The Cardinal Way" Oct 9 - -  - - - Side note - Can you pander more to the Post's demo? I'm sure Walter and Gerdie in St. Chuck loved it.

I honestly enjoyed his Roby article. Love that guy. When Jesus writes a profile on a player, he doesn't do a bad job. I just can't say that I enjoy the lazy hot take, like so many people do nowadays. In the genre of Skip Bayless, Stephen A, etc...... Get a rise out of people, then they'll give me clicks (These two are a lot better at the BS game than Ortiz is).

How can someone honestly say you like that? 

38 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Can't believe there are actually people who enjoy what Ortiz writes. Strauss and Burwell had substance. Even Hochman has some substance.

What Ortiz does is run with a lazy narrative and stretch it out to where it is long enough to be considered an article length worth publishing. We could go into any decent high school in the area and find a writer with as much "talent" as Soft Hands has. 

The amazing laziness that produced his brutal, in-the-moment hot take columns regarding the US Soccer collapse was astounding. The column about practices being closed - provoked ZERO thought from the reader, and frankly, felt like word vomit when trying to get through it. 

Recent hot takes from Ortiz:

The Cardinals aren't that good, Sep 20

The Cardinals aren't that good, Sep 29

Billikens are "in hiding", Oct 1

Cardinals need to upgrade their hitting, Oct 4 (See Sep 20 & 29)

Cardinals need to upgrade their pitching, Oct 6, 7, 8 (See Sep 20 & 29)

Cardinals must find players who embrace "The Cardinal Way" Oct 9 - -  - - - Side note - Can you pander more to the Post's demo? I'm sure Walter and Gerdie in St. Chuck loved it.

I honestly enjoyed his Roby article. Love that guy. When Jesus writes a profile on a player, he doesn't do a bad job. I just can't say that I enjoy the lazy hot take, like so many people do nowadays. In the genre of Skip Bayless, Stephen A, etc...... Get a rise out of people, then they'll give me clicks (These two are a lot better at the BS game than Ortiz is).

How can someone honestly say you like that? 

So you like articles that promote the home teams The Cardinals weren't that good. . The Cardinals do need better hitting. They do need to upgrade  their bullpen. The Billikens were in hiding.[that was a good thing]. I think it's good that there is at least one writer who isn't a cheer leader. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

So you like articles that promote the home teams The Cardinals weren't that good. . The Cardinals do need better hitting. They do need to upgrade  their bullpen. The Billikens were in hiding.[that was a good thing]. I think it's good that there is at least one writer who isn't a cheer leader. 

I think you missed most of my point. It was more like... most of his articles are "No Sh!t" takes. I, for one, am a fan who may be overly critical of many of my teams. (Other than the Bills. I am a BIG TIME homer when it comes to the Billies.) My point is everyone in the whole metro knows that the team needs to get better. They missed the playoffs. We could go to various grade schools in the metro and they could write the same take. 

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

I grew up here and I completely disagree with this.

Just because some local idiots said some dumb things does not prove anything about this community.

1 month ago I was working with an immigrant in Michigan and some idiot said he was going to call immigration on him.  I do not think Michigan is a racist state just one idiot, it happens.

I liked the Roby article but did not like his article about the practices being closed.

I suggest you read that part of my comment in context. I also said that I didn’t think St. Louis was more racist than other places. 

Replace ‘St. Louis’ with any other city or town in the country in the part of my comment that you picked out. I think it would be true as well. There are racist elements everywhere, and these racist elements are not the majority anywhere. 

An item from the Roby article that has not been mentioned is that Austin Gillmann has graduated with a BA in Business Administration and is working on his Masters at SLU.  Congratulations and good luck to the young man.

[TrollPants, I know you read everything I post.  The total is now 27 of 28 since 2008, or 96.4%.  Don't bother to respond, as you are at the top of my Ignore list.]