Jesus Ortiz

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

He tries to be like Joe Strauss but he doesn't have the ability to do it and it ends up making him sound bitter and uniformed. 

The guy is a hack. I literally don't know one person who enjoys his writing. Not 1. I'm not a fan of Hochman or Fredrickson but I still read their stuff. I skip everyone of Ortiz's articles.

The sooner the PD realized they made an error in hiring this doofus the better.

The attempt to be like Strauss is just idiotic.  The guy admits that he doesn't have a sense of humor.  You can't be anything like Joe Strauss without a sense of humor.

He might have been fine as a beat writer in Houston, but he just doesn't have the writing talent to be a columnist.  Plus, the guy is just an awful verbal communicator.  A big part of a lead columnist job now is to sell his paper on other forms of media.  This guy just can do that.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Miklasz and Burwell to this is definitely a travesty, especially considering how heavily the P-D relies on its sports coverage to remain relevant. That said, I can't agree with bundling Hochman with Ortiz in any way. Obviously MIZZOU gets no love around here, but at least Hochman is a hometown kid who is passionate and dedicated to the local sports market and culture. A far cry from the self-indulgent, carpetbagger obliviousness Ortiz brings to the table. 

^Good point about not being a good ambassador for the paper.

5 minutes ago, Compton said:

From Miklasz and Burwell to this is definitely a travesty, especially considering how heavily the P-D relies on its sports coverage to remain relevant. That said, I can't agree with bundling Hochman with Ortiz in any way. Obviously MIZZOU gets no love around here, but at least Hochman is a hometown kid who is passionate and dedicated to the local sports market and culture. A far cry from the self-indulgent, carpetbagger obliviousness Ortiz brings to the table. 

^Good point about not being a good ambassador for the paper.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-ford-has-billikens-basketball-pointed-upward/article_eae96f99-0efb-589e-abcf-60d2edc6e073.html

dont forget this gem from Hochman 

In fairness he has written about SLU before. He wrote shortly after the Illinois and Mizzou coaching changed that SLU-Mizzou needs to happen again. He wrote some complimentary articles about what ford was building here last season. 

7 hours ago, JMM28 said:

In fairness he has written about SLU before. He wrote shortly after the Illinois and Mizzou coaching changed that SLU-Mizzou needs to happen again. He wrote some complimentary articles about what ford was building here last season. 

Simply proving the point that he only wants and cares about clicks.  He's an outsider with no ties or connection to this region and clearly has developed an agenda of pandering to the masses.  Hey Jose, why don't you study up, show up and man up.  Until you do that Ortiz, your will be perceived as a fraud and a click chaser.

17 minutes ago, kappy96 said:

Simply proving the point that he only wants and cares about clicks.  He's an outsider with no ties or connection to this region and clearly has developed an agenda of pandering to the masses.  Hey Jose, why don't you study up, show up and man up.  Until you do that Ortiz, your will be perceived as a fraud and a click chaser.

I'm actually glad Ortiz isn't from the region. That's not the problem. The problem with Ortiz is that he is bad at his job. 

14 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I'm actually glad Ortiz isn't from the region. That's not the problem. The problem with Ortiz is that he is bad at his job. 

This.  

Burwell and Srauss weren't from the area.  They would both take their shots at the hometown teams and even fans at times.  They differ from Ortiz in that they both were really talented writers.

I'm SORRY.  I had to read the article which gave that total a-hole another click.  That was a hatchet job pure and simple.  If the Post Disgrace wasn't already not getting my money and respect , they'd have lost both with that cheap shot.  By the way Jesus and all at the Post Disgrace, I NEVER ANSWER YOUR FREAKING POLL QUESTIONS HONESTLY!    

The post dispatch historically, and certainly now, are bandwagon jumpers. You guys were the good story a couple of years ago.  They treated Illinois like the local team when it was winning under Weber (with Self's players). They were all over SIUC when Weber and then Lowery were winning.  Southwest Missouri State was the hot program with Spoon before you guys, then he was the with you guys.  Those "Mizzery" grads like Gordo (tool) and Vahe Gregorian went down and tried to sink the program with their investigatige journalism.  It's interesting to me the KC star has never taken a critical look at Bill Self's program.   SLU has never had that treatment as far as I am aware. 

7 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I'm SORRY.  I had to read the article which gave that total a-hole another click.  That was a hatchet job pure and simple.  If the Post Disgrace wasn't already not getting my money and respect , they'd have lost both with that cheap shot.  By the way Jesus and all at the Post Disgrace, I NEVER ANSWER YOUR FREAKING POLL QUESTIONS HONESTLY!    

Nothing you say or do will change the direction of the PD. There are lots of things in the so called news that are more noise than news which are best ignored, and this is not limited to the PD by any means, it involves any number of news and information outlets from the internet to public statements and twitter posts. We have come to the stage where there is an overwhelming amount of this kind of "information and news" coming at us from any number of different sources all clamoring for attention. There is so much stuff that it has toxic qualities to it. We need to face the need to limit the amount of stuff we access in a daily basis. 

41 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-just wondering....does it make sense that he could actually hear basketballs in the arena when he is outside the building? how did he know what time practice was being held? how did he know it wasn't the ladies practicing? 

now im angry 

45 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-just wondering....does it make sense that he could actually hear basketballs in the arena when he is outside the building? how did he know what time practice was being held? how did he know it wasn't the ladies practicing? 

So you're saying that Jose Ortiz is a chauvinist pig? I can see that.

Absolute garbage.  Can't believe he is upset that SLU won't let him figure out who the accused kids are so that he can publish their names in his paper and get a nice pile of clicks.  That is completely what his article is about.  He's whining that he can't write a story naming the players.  A true journalist would write an article about the situation going on and include the fact that the practices are closed mostly likely due to the University's own policies, Title IX rules regarding investigations, and a general sense of decency toward young men who have only been accused of terrible acts.

I canceled my Post subscription recently as the result of this kind of stuff and others.  It is just not a credible source of news anymore.  Not sure what is, but the Post certainly isn't.

Just now, 615Billiken said:

Sure does seem like it.

It seems like we’re tired of  writers ignoring day to day Billikens news and then demanding answers when they have a chance to nail students and the school. Ortiz’s success is predicated solely on clicks. If we don’t give him clicks he doesn’t have a job.