Injury updates 2017

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Compton said:

Heading into the season where are we in terms of injuries? I guess we'll know more soon, but what's the latest in terms of who's not available, who's not 100% and who's healthy? 

Hopefully we get some of that information this week with our first exhibition game on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Compton said:

Heading into the season where are we in terms of injuries? I guess we'll know more soon, but what's the latest in terms of who's not available, who's not 100% and who's healthy? 

Besides day to day injuries at practice last week everyone was going full tilt save for Welmer.  Goodwin and French played as if they had no lingering ailments.

Nice article from Stu on Foreman, the one transfer we seem to know the least about. Seems to clear up a lot regarding his health, maybe our Old Guy can chime in also?

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/transfer-foreman-glad-to-be-healthy-playing-at-slu/article_94b3b626-17f6-5915-afb2-b89308b152b8.amp.html

CBFan likes this

Read the article. It is clear from what the article says that he had a long lasting chronic problem with his hip that gave him pain and most likely limited his ability to play while at Rutgers. It is too bad that he never had a proper exam with X rays and a consult with a proper orthopedic surgeon until he got there. The description of the injury as a partially torn ligament and "hip impingment" (whatever that means) is to vague to even start guessing as to what was done surgically to correct the problem, and it says even less as to what may or may not be expected from this. It is clear however that he had a lengthy period of rest and did not participate in full practice or exercise until many months after the surgery. I really cannot shed any more light based upon the information available, we have to see him play and hope he can continue playing with no restriction. I know this is not a satisfactory answer but it is the best I can do with the info available.

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Read the article. It is clear from what the article says that he had a long lasting chronic problem with his hip that gave him pain and most likely limited his ability to play while at Rutgers. It is too bad that he never had a proper exam with X rays and a consult with a proper orthopedic surgeon until he got there. The description of the injury as a partially torn ligament and "hip impingment" (whatever that means) is to vague to even start guessing as to what was done surgically to correct the problem, and it says even less as to what may or may not be expected from this. It is clear however that he had a lengthy period of rest and did not participate in full practice or exercise until many months after the surgery. I really cannot shed any more light based upon the information available, we have to see him play and hope he can continue playing with no restriction. I know this is not a satisfactory answer but it is the best I can do with the info available.

Old Guy,

Playing statistics I’d have to disagree. Impingement is FAI or femoroacetabular impingement, and this presentation is classic. There may or may not have been anything surgical to do earlier in his course, but he should have been seeing a physical therapist regardless, which I am unsure if he did. My suspicion is the torn “ligament” Stu references was actually the labrum. Both athletes and media frequently misinterpret what they are told by physicians due to a lack of understanding. This would make this case similar to that of Isaiah Thomas of the Celtics and now Cavs, which they have chosen to treat nonoperatively. If anyone wants a quick primer on FAI there is a Sports Medicine podcast called “The Break” on iTunes that just released an episode discussing this issue. These conclusions certainly involve a degree of speculation, but statistically this is by far the most likely scenario based upon the information we have.

majerus mojo likes this

ArmySportsDoc you may be much better at sports medicine than I will ever be. I am glad you can make sense and fill the blanks left out by the information available, I plainly cannot do so without solid evidence. It may be entirely as you say and statistically the results may be entirely favorable to Foreman, assuming of course that your interpretation of what happened and the treatment given is correct. As far as I am concerned I would be doing too much guessing to come with anything close to what you said, but again this was not my primary area. 

The facts as I know are that he had pain and limitations for a long time, then had surgery which supposedly treated a partially torn ligament and "hip impingement", followed by a lengthy recovery period post op. I really cannot make the jump from these facts to a diagnosis of FAI. The one thing you did not provide was his prognosis for full recovery after surgery. Could you provide illumination about his prognosis for playing actively without limitations?

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

ArmySportsDoc you may be much better at sports medicine than I will ever be. I am glad you can make sense and fill the blanks left out by the information available, I plainly cannot do so without solid evidence. It may be entirely as you say and statistically the results may be entirely favorable to Foreman, assuming of course that your interpretation of what happened and the treatment given is correct. As far as I am concerned I would be doing too much guessing to come with anything close to what you said, but again this was not my primary area. 

The facts as I know are that he had pain and limitations for a long time, then had surgery which supposedly treated a partially torn ligament and "hip impingement", followed by a lengthy recovery period post op. I really cannot make the jump from these facts to a diagnosis of FAI. The one thing you did not provide was his prognosis for full recovery after surgery. Could you provide illumination about his prognosis for playing actively without limitations?

Old Guy,

Great question, and I’m not sure I can provide an equally astute answer on long term prognosis. Since I believe Foreman only has 2 years of eligibility left, however, I would expect his prognosis to be very good functionally while he is at SLU.

FAI is still a fairly new concept. It’s only been widely studied for a little over a decade and there are still large gaps in the evidence. Additional factors include the type of FAI, as there are three subtypes. In CAM type FAI there is a bony overgrowth at the femoral head neck junction, pincer type involves an overgrowth of the superior rim of the acetabulum (socket), and mixed type involving both of the above (which is most common). Surgical treatment is usually arthroscopic and involves shaving the overgrowth back in order to remove the area of impingement and potentially repair of any additional damage (such as a labral year) that resulted from the excess friction the impingement caused.

Purely anecdotally, I have seen people do quite well following these procedures in the short term, but unfortunately for DJ, I don’t think the long term outcomes are quite as good with early arthritis and additional labral pathology common. This is why Isaiah Thomas has opted for a non-surgical approach at present, but given that SLU treated aggressively and gave DJ the time needed to recover postoperatively, I’d expect him to do well for the remainder of his eligibility.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Doubt if he ever plays. Two surgeries for the same bone. Finally starting to be active and he is back in a boot. It seems like his foot can't hold up to the requirements of D1 basketball.

Tough break for the kid but reality better be setting in.  Looks like we have another schollie for next year if he can not come back.