Grad Tranfers

ACE

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest with myself, we don't need another guard, but just for thinking sake, I would rather have had Duane come in next year as an immediately eligible 4* guard grad transfer IF we could lock down that Ayo D kid for next year after that. I think we are going to have a lot of guards competing for playing time next year

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/duane-wilson

Great snippit of Duane. I was thinking that IF we get Duane Wilson, AND Archie leaves Dayton, we could maybe try for a bid for Kostas. They never played together in HS but that could set off a recruiting connection between Ford and Dominican High School, which can pay off bigly for the next Antenkumpo brother. We could then say that every player we have had in the past few years from Dominican has been a star at SLU and take away Dominican's connection with MU. 

48 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/duane-wilson

Great snippit of Duane. I was thinking that IF we get Duane Wilson, AND Archie leaves Dayton, we could maybe try for a bid for Kostas. They never played together in HS but that could set off a recruiting connection between Ford and Dominican High School, which can pay off bigly for the next Antenkumpo brother. We could then say that every player we have had in the past few years from Dominican has been a star at SLU and take away Dominican's connection with MU. 

You know transfers intraconference are required to sit out two seasons, and as a result, rarely every happen. 

Im 98.8% sure this is still the case. 

14 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

I was interested in this too - data used here is a little old (2011-2012) but I would be surprised if it changed much since then. This shows the academic outcomes of D1 graduate transfers at the two year mark. Looks like men's basketball about 32% have gotten a graduate degree by the two year mark. Honestly much higher than I expected. 

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-division-i-graduate-transfers

Yeah, this is pretty bad.  But let's give the 9% 'enrolled' some credit for perhaps sticking with the program after basketball is done.  Over half don't complete the programs.  I wonder how many of those 59% attend classes more than just to maintain eligibility.  The NCAA gets all uptight about APR.  They need to put Grad Transfers into the formula.

4 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

You know transfers intraconference are required to sit out two seasons, and as a result, rarely every happen. 

Im 98.8% sure this is still the case. 

Oh I was unaware. Does it still count if they never stepped on the floor. You have to admit it could be nice to have a connection between Dominican 

A couple issues with this scenario. First, Archie is likely not going to leave Dayton this year. He is well compensated at Dayton and has the support of a rabid fanbase where basketball comes first. Second, Kostas would not come here because of a loose connection between someone who happened to go to the same high school as his 5 years prior. That kind of logic just doesn't make much sense. 

The issue with the grad transfers requiring to enroll in a grad degree at the new school that was not offered in the original institution may not be as hard to deal with as most  may think. For example take Gonzaga, they offer 33 different graduate degrees, SLU offers 80. I am not saying this is or will ever be the case, but it surely would be easier for a graduate transfer to occur from Gonzaga to SLU than the other way, at least from the point of view of SLU having a program that is not offered in Gonzaga.

Again, I am not saying this is the case, but it would not be difficult to keep lists of graduate programs that are offered at SLU but not offered in other, excellent in basketball terms, schools. If there was any interest in obtaining a grad transfer from these schools we might be able to offer something substantial to these kids in terms of the kinds of programs we offer.

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The issue with the grad transfers requiring to enroll in a grad degree at the new school that was not offered in the original institution may not be as hard to deal with as most  may think. For example take Gonzaga, they offer 33 different graduate degrees, SLU offers 80. I am not saying this is or will ever be the case, but it surely would be easier for a graduate transfer to occur from Gonzaga to SLU than the other way, at least from the point of view of SLU having a program that is not offered in Gonzaga.

Again, I am not saying this is the case, but it would not be difficult to keep lists of graduate programs that are offered at SLU but not offered in other, excellent in basketball terms, schools. If there was any interest in obtaining a grad transfer from these schools we might be able to offer something substantial to these kids in terms of the kinds of programs we offer.

Well I know Duane personally through other friends and he was our rival in High School (Dominican). The kid was a freak and would rub in wins with half court shots and would make them. Made 3 against us in one game just to rub it in. I am sure he won't mind taking any random grad degree

Your word ...."random" degree ----- doesn't really work.  It has to be a deg.ee program NOT offered at departing school/

Didn't a Coloraod or Colordao State player want to come to us for a Religion degree?  That's the last one I remember,and we didn't get him.

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Your word ...."random" degree ----- doesn't really work.  It has to be a deg.ee program NOT offered at departing school/

Didn't a Coloraod or Colordao State player want to come to us for a Religion degree?  That's the last one I remember,and we didn't get him.

As in the degree doesn't matter to him. But I forgot he has a kid so that can complicate things

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Mark Donnel from Michigan is an immediately eligible 4* top 100 6'9 240lbs

That's what he was 4 years ago. Now he is a dude who averaged 5 ppg over 3 seasons. Please stop citing irrelevant high school rankings for guys who have a college body of work.

59 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Donnal's career FG% is 57% He averaged 8 ppg as a junior in the Big 10.  There are quite a few A10 teams that could use him.

His per career 100 pocession numbers are better over than Foreman's or Welmer's.  He could definitely help, but not the most pressing need.

The biggest hurdle for the 2017-2018 team will be building chemistry among a group of talented players who haven't played together before. That's not the kind of roster that a grad transfer benefits, unless it's a team like Kentucky, with mostly new players that have a chance of winning a championship. For a longer-term build like SLU, I don't think a grad transfer makes sense until 2018-2019 at the very earliest. They work best when added to an already-built team looking for a particular piece.

Just now, Pistol said:

The biggest hurdle for the 2017-2018 team will be building chemistry among a group of talented players who haven't played together before. That's not the kind of roster that a grad transfer benefits, unless it's a team like Kentucky, with mostly new players that have a chance of winning a championship. For a longer-term build like SLU, I don't think a grad transfer makes sense until 2018-2019 at the very earliest. They work best when added to an already-built team looking for a particular piece.

I think a grad transfer makes more sense this season for balancing out the classes going forward.  It lets you fill up a roster spot for next season without tying up a scholarship for the 18 class.