GW over the Bills by 9

SLU........................................................................GW..

D.....................................overall..............................B-

.......................................Offense.................................

F-......................................PPG................................D

F / C- / D-.........................Slash.............................F+/ B+ /A-

F+.....................................Tot Reb.............................B-

C-.......................................TOs................................C-

..........................................Defense................................

B-........................................PPG................................B-

C- / D..................................Slash..............................C- / D

C-.......................................Opp Reb.........................B+

F+......................................Opp TOs..........................F

Trending up.........FG%

Trending down.....Tot Reb....3pt defense

Can we beat this team....the simple answer is yes. The above spread is used on the full season model....The trending model ( last 13 games) shows this game even. GW at B- comes in with the same grade as GM.  And if you examine the report card there are a lot of similarities.  So why is there such a big difference in the overall grade. Because they can shoot 3's and FTs plus they Reb. Some big obstacles to overcome but it can be done. Their big 3 scorers are....Cavanaugh (  leads in  Pts & Reb), Watanabe (leads in FG%) and Sina ( leads in assts & steals). 

What do we need to do to win....Defend the 3...we need to keep their 3pt% at a third.  We need to match them in reb....Less TOs than GW and more FTA and of course at least a normal Bills shooting night.. 

Bottomline....If we can continue to trend ...we win

This is the night Hines baffles us all and plays great. Davell's shot returns, and Elliott continues as an overWelmer. Still, Watanabe torches us on the inside, Sina smokes us from outside and Gdub pulls out a nailbiter. Still, been a fun season and looking forward to much more next year.

Early thank you to MC and RA for perservering through many losses with much class.

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

I'd like to see more of Moore, more of Roby handling the point, and less of Hines tonight.

+1

Just now, Glorydays2013 said:

Honestly what do we have to lose?

More importantly Moore has earned more playing time now that his shot is in a good zone right now.

The team dynamic has changed as the season has progressed.  Hines for most of the season after Bishop went down Hines was the floor general and the offense did nothing when he sat on the bench.

Now Roby and Moore's play has greatly improved and I think the best 5 on floor is Welmer, JJ, Crawford, Roby and Moore.

Geedubya is a two-man team and like Davidson, while both Geedubya guys are bigs, they excel more on the exterior than interior ala Peyton Aldridge. 

Cavanaugh is a 6'9" Euro big -- more comfortable from 25 feet out than 2 feet in.  Watanabee is also more an international big but he can and will take the occasional drive/slash to the basket.  Neither plays with their back to the basket.   To me, Sina is okay but he is not a ballhandler.  He is more the spot up and shoot guy ala old Micha Mason.  He is deadly from the free throw line and not bad from 3pt range.  Buthe is short an dnot that quick on the release.  Overall, their guards are not impressive.  The key to me would be to make someone other than Watanabee and Cavanaugh beat you.

But we saw that up close and personal in Foggy Bottom this year when we let Patrick Steeves play like an All-American against us,  Steeves doubled his ppg against us by dropping a baker's dozen of 13 and even though we led for all but about six minutes of the game, we wilted down the stretch.  So we can win this one.

Folks will say Geedubya is hot coming in having won five in a row and six of their last seven.  But short of Dayton, they constructed this run against the same dregs of th e league we built our six or seven wins against.  And while they beat Dayton in closing last Saturday at home, it was a good thing they created a 20 point lead because Dayton was charging at the end.  Clock ran out about five minutes too soon for YouDee.

The issue to me will be matching up on the defensive side of both balls.  For them, they do run a little freaky 1-3-1 half court zone trap press with Watanabee's 6'9" frame on top.  That is tough to play against because you don't see it that often anymore.  On the other side of the defensive, we need to close out on our zone.  And yet, even if we are fats to the spot, both Cavanaugh and Watanabee at 6'9" will easily rise up over Hines and Crawford for relatively uncontested shots.  Here's hoping for an off night in an empty gym with deep shooting backgrounds they have not seen before.

Yeah, there's not much on paper to like about our chances here. They've won 5 in a row and beat us earlier this season. Cavanaugh and Watanabe are tough matchups. They actually are fairly interchangeable outside the top 3, so I'm hoping at least one of Cavanaugh, Watanabe, and Sina can get into some foul trouble.

I just hope we shoot well and play sound basketball - which means Hines can't be gunning. Get some open looks for the freshmen shooters. Reggie brings his best hands.

56 minutes ago, almaman said:

Moore season reminding me a bit of Bartley's first.

In that most of his scoring comes from 3? Otherwise they don't seem to be that similar to me. Zeke is much more athletic, and has much higher potential IMO. 

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, there's not much on paper to like about our chances here. They've won 5 in a row and beat us earlier this season. Cavanaugh and Watanabe are tough matchups. They actually are fairly interchangeable outside the top 3, so I'm hoping at least one of Cavanaugh, Watanabe, and Sina can get into some foul trouble.

I just hope we shoot well and play sound basketball - which means Hines can't be gunning. Get some open looks for the freshmen shooters. Reggie brings his best hands.

Cavanaugh is the one to worry about. They're 17-8 when he plays at least 30 minutes, 1-5 when he doesn't. Watanabe isn't the same kind of difference maker, I don't think.

Almost...but we ran out of gas....

Let's check the bottom line from the original post........

Defend the 3...keep them below 1/3 from the arc.....20%....check

Match them in Reb....close but fail....36 to 35

Have more FTA....again close but fail....8-8

Normal shooting night....fail..3pt% =.23% ...missed an extra three 3s = 9pts but we held them to 20%  so not that damaging

TO differential.....Big fail...this was the killer...an extra 8 TOs...worth 16pts

This could have been an easy win under normal circumstances....we led in almost all those categories into the 2nd half ...but then the big fade ..out of gas...this team using 7 players is not built to play every night.  Next year more depth.

And we finish up our best season in 3 years doing more with less.

Tick...tick ...tick ...and we are done

8 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Wiz, is there a season wrap up? Did we finish D?

I am working on it ... I will put a Bills report card  out today.....  and yes we finished at D. It still could change because even though we are done many teams we have played are still playing and that affects us. . I am relatively sure though, we will finish at D  unless Day , RI and VCU all finish in the Final 4.

In addition, after the Final Four , I will put out a final report card on the A-10. with a comparison of the mid term (beginning of conf play) and start of the year (game 8) report cards.