GDT Billikens step on the Spy-Das for seventh conference win

CBFan

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, IndianaSaint said:

Every week. Thanks for always sticking up for the guys.

This is about the tamest message board in the country when it comes to posters ripping on players.  That is really amazing considering the complete meltdown the program had.

Jayson Tatum has took more cr@p from Duke fans than any of our players have got.

34 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This is about the tamest message board in the country when it comes to posters ripping on players.  That is really amazing considering the complete meltdown the program had.

Jayson Tatum has took more cr@p from Duke fans than any of our players have got.

Lol... 100% true. Take a look at any other board in the country and you will appreciate just how good (i.e. relatively sane) we have it here. I started a "Jim Crews hot seat?" thread at the beginning of last season and it was as if I advocated shutting the program down 

3 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Obviously, it's generally better to sign higher ranked recruits than lower ranked recruits. Still, great teams can be made of players not highly ranked. Take the good teams SLU had from 2011-2014. They went to 3 straight NCAA tournaments and spent time in the top 25, even the top 10. 

Here are the Class of 2010 rankings:  http://247sports.com/Season/2010-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

You'll see that there's 1 SLU recruit in that list: Jordair Jett at 243. That means Dwayne Evans and Mike McCall weren't in there. Those guys turned out to be pretty good, in spite of having the scarlet letter of being outside the top 250. Not sure where Rob Loe would have been, as he was an international recruit and not in the rankings.

Here are the Class of 2008 rankings: http://247sports.com/Season/2008-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

You'll see that the only SLU recruit on that list is Kwamain Mitchell at 180. This leaves out Brian Conklin, who was the leading scorer on an NCAA tournament team in 2012. It also leaves out Willie Reed, who never featured on an NCAA tournament team for SLU, but he's doing OK for himself now in the NBA.

Well said and on the money. Just further strengthening the rosy outlook for our future. If we keep all the guys signed or committed there are more top 250 guys than we've had all total in the modern era. And most are a lot higher than KM's 180.

4 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Steve, can you register indianabillikens.com and set up a separate message board for our Hoosier State contingent? I'll pay for it.

It actually would be quite easy to do....

I know this team could not play man-to-man as Majerus had preached ---- still I'd love to see it.  VCU ran over these guys twice this year and they are strictly man-to-man. Other than Shawndre Jones, none of them have even a quick a release as Zeke Moore.

Many bash Zeke ---- and I am one of them.  There is so much to like ----- length, shot (I think Bills Believer is on that one), release point, enthusiasm, some promise on defense, etc. The baddest thing I have for Zeke is the unfortunate stench of he [dead] who recruited him.  I believe going forward he has a chance ----- if I haven't said it loud enough here it is ...... he deserves a scholarship renewal.  Keep him.  One more year won't hurt.  Two years in a program is when you typically see the majority of transfers anyway.  A bench of Johnson,Roby, Moore and Welmer is plenty deep when you have six coming in and the bulk of rotations only go eight or nine deep.  Those four have gained plenty of experience this year.  And I did not even mention Bishop, an A10 rookie selection from last  year.  The issue becomes the front line of Foreman, French and Welmer.  That is not too deep and with no traditional five, tough as we move forward.

Cline, Buckingham and Julius Johnson were all essentially set shooters yesterday.  With a zone, you get more time.  Which allows a set shooter to be more productive.  We have seen our share of slow set shooters over time ----- Mimlitz, Diener, Robertson, Cassity, Barnett.  Clijne is toughbecause he can go inside.  Both Johnson and Buckingham were neutralized by VCU-like speed forcing them to drive into the paint where Alie-Cox, Tilman and Hamdy waited.  Welmer was pretty valiant there yesterday for a while.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The issue becomes the front line of Foreman, French and Welmer.  That is not too deep and with no traditional five, tough as we move forward.

Something that hasnt been talked about and a huge upside for Welmer and Johnson at the 4 and 5 is we can have 5 players on the court who can be a threat to shoot the the 3. Roby, Welmer, Johnson, Hines and Zeke on the court would be a seeable line-up with all players above .33% 3 point shooting

Glorydays:  so you are essentially advocating a lineup that is exactly what we have this year?  While 11 wins has been overachieving and rewarding, surely you are not advocating such when you have Henriquez, Graves and Goodwin available, are you?  Situationally sure ---- you are down by a bunch and need three point bombers you put your best shooters in.  I'd think if this were the need, you'd have to go for an offensive/defensive sub pattern to make it work. 

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Glorydays:  so you are essentially advocating a lineup that is exactly what we have this year?  While 11 wins has been overachieving and rewarding, surely you are not advocating such when you have Henriquez, Graves and Goodwin available, are you?  Situationally sure ---- you are down by a bunch and need three point bombers you put your best shooters in.  I'd think if this were the need, you'd have to go for an offensive/defensive sub pattern to make it work. 

If you use the latest stats that are available, the top 3 point shooters on next season's team are:

Roby 40%, Moore and AD, 38%, Bishop and Welmer, 37%, Graves 36%, and Johnson 35%.  Pretty close group. 

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullsh*t; when all else fails, use statistics.

Sure.  Stats are what stats are.  I have no problem with anyone advocating these guys based on stats.  Makes sense.  But even in today's day and age of the three point line, most advocate getting defensive stops and chipping away at a lead to make it manageable and cut it to a two or so possession game late.  Dayton tried to do this versus Geedubya late Saturday.  They cut an 18 point deficit down to five but could not get over the hump.

So if you are advocating a lineup that bombs away, on this team, no argument, go for it.  But the five with the best percentages also have to play defense and a few are liabilities there and there is absolutely little rebounding in the lineup you suggest. 

Given I have seen a few blowouts this year, I am not certain Ford would employ a style of 'chuck 'n duck' as this might suggest. 

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

If you use the latest stats that are available, the top 3 point shooters on next season's team are:

Roby 40%, Moore and AD, 38%, Bishop and Welmer, 37%, Graves 36%, and Johnson 35%.  Pretty close group. 

I cant wait for next season to start so you fairy tale believing fans that seem to still cling to the thought there is value in our existing horrible roster that exceeds what is coming to slu next year.   I just hope you don't do anything rash when your above dream lineup doesn't see much beyond 8 or 9 minutes a game. 

41 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

In no way was I advocating that lineup at all. I meant in terms of this year I thought it was interesting that we had 5 players on the court who could be threats at the 3. That is all. 

Yeah, that's exactly how I read it. Lighten up, Francises. ;)

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I cant wait for next season to start so you fairy tale believing fans that seem to still cling to the thought there is value in our existing horrible roster that exceeds what is coming to slu next year.   I just hope you don't do anything rash when your above dream lineup doesn't see much beyond 8 or 9 minutes a game. 

You still think Roby will play only 8 or 9 minutes next year? Really??