Next Head Coach at Mizzou?

Bills_06

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I don't know if he would want the job or not.  His relationship with K State fan base isn't exactly a love affair, his contract hasn't been extended in 3 years and his buyout is minuscule when it comes to a coach at a power 5 program.  He is at least someone they should make a run at.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Weber has had only two losing seasons in seasons in his career.  Mizzou is located in the heart of a region he has successfully recruited for almost 40 years and has great facilities.  He took over an SIU program that had limited resources, bad facilities and had them in the Sweet 16 in 4 seasons.  Why would anyone think it would take him a long time to build SPUMAC back into an NCAA program?

Because building up a high major program that has fallen to the depths Mizzou has is hard. To his credit, Weber has been smart enough to only take high major jobs where the program was already winning. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizzou a football town?  As what, spectators?  They couldn't really compete in the old Big 12 with the likes of always also-rans Kansas and Colorado.  Now they are going to compete against Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, Texas A & M, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina?  Year-in and year-out?  I think not -- they will be in football just what Kentucky is in football .. an afterthought. 

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Mizzou a football town?  As what, spectators?  They couldn't really compete in the old Big 12 with the likes of always also-rans Kansas and Colorado.  Now they are going to compete against Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, Texas A & M, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina?  Year-in and year-out?  I think not -- they will be in football just what Kentucky is in football .. an afterthought. 

I'm not saying their football team is good. I'm just saying it's a bigger priority than basketball for the university and the community. A bottom feeder SEC football team will always be a bigger deal than a bottom feeder SEC basketball team.

6 hours ago, slufanskip said:

why do we have this thread? Does anyone really care?

I understand where you're coming from. However, we should care about the coaching situations at schools like Mizziu and Illinois, especially considering how well we're recruiting the state right now.

1 hour ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Am I the only one who could care less who Mizzou hires?  Do I care who Southwest Missouri State University hires, or UMSL, or Lindenwood?  The answer is no.  I only care that they continue to suffer in a downward spiral where they belong.

Jeez this a dumb post. In one line you say you don't care who Mizzou hires. Then you say you only care that they continue their downward spiral. Seems likely that whoever they hire will have a major impact on whether they continue that spiral, right?

DaLoves post above says it all. A weakened Mizzou and to a lesser extent Illinois is huge for our local recruiting.

22 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

I understand where you're coming from. However, we should care about the coaching situations at schools like Mizziu and Illinois, especially considering how well we're recruiting the state right now.

Yea, I know. No doubt you're right. I just hate seeing the Mizzou thread. Looks like we're hung up on them.

22 hours ago, kshoe said:

Jeez this a dumb post. In one line you say you don't care who Mizzou hires. Then you say you only care that they continue their downward spiral. Seems likely that whoever they hire will have a major impact on whether they continue that spiral, right?

DaLoves post above says it all. A weakened Mizzou and to a lesser extent Illinois is huge for our local recruiting.

In my dark wishes for Mizzou basketball failure until their sins of arrogance of years past are redeemed, I shall clarify the dumbness: I don't like talking about Mizzou unless its about their failures.  Selfish, yes. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

The only reason we're hung up on MIzzery is they refuse to play us. Do they play any school in the state?

No. No. No. We are hung up on them because what they do and who they recruit affects us. At this point I really don't care if they play us. I do care if the continue to lose and we become the hot program that local recruits want to attend.

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Anyone else pissed that mizzou made Ramey's list and not SLU? Is there some reason he doesn't want to go play for Ford?

Not me. He's not going to Mizzou or SLU and if you aren't going to get a kid it's better to not waste time recruiting him.

18 minutes ago, kshoe said:

No. No. No. We are hung up on them because what they do and who they recruit affects us. At this point I really don't care if they play us. I do care if the continue to lose and we become the hot program that local recruits want to attend.

bingo. 

I just want Mizzou to remain in mediocrity as long as possible.  

23 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Spot on. The best thing for SLUs rise would be Illini and Mizzou programs that are continuously winning 14-17 games a year. In college basketball hell. Mediocre enough to question a change but also be irrelevant in the grand scheme. 

5 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Spot on. The best thing for SLUs rise would be Illini and Mizzou programs that are continuously winning 14-17 games a year. In college basketball hell. Mediocre enough to question a change but also be irrelevant in the grand scheme. 

There was a thread today on reddit college basketball on what coaches they predict will be fired after this year and the consensus is Groce https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/5pwhlu/which_coaches_do_you_expect_to_be_fired_this/

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Groce is not going to be fired from Illinois this year.  Tilmon is not going to be a Billiken.  Ford's SLU program will fare well, regardless.

I agree 100 percent it is as silly as Ford wanting to leave now.

I think Groce and his top recruiting class will get a chance and if he fails in the 2017-2018 season then that will be the end of him.

19 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think Groce and his top recruiting class will get a chance and if he fails in the 2017-2018 season then that will be the end of him.

The problem is that this isn't even close to Groce's first top recruiting class he has brought in. According to VC Illinois has the 2nd highest rated players in the B10 behind Michigan State, and are 2nd last in the conference. 

12 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

There was a thread today on reddit college basketball on what coaches they predict will be fired after this year and the consensus is Groce https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/5pwhlu/which_coaches_do_you_expect_to_be_fired_this/

Ah, reddit. Home of college basketball's best fans. lol what's next? A final 4chan?

This is Groce's 5th year. All of them have been mediocre. He is gone after this year.  The new AD at Illinois was about to let him go last year. 

it is sad that Mizzou won't give Kim Anderson another year.  2 years.  That shows very little faith.  I would love to see Kim Anderson there for another decade.

A good recruiting class at Illinois shouldn't be a criteria for saving your job. That should be the norm there. Even if they lose a couple of recruits in the short-term by firing Groce, any decent new coach should have no problem recovering.