Greatest Billiken Games

prebilliken

Fellow Bills fans, 

In an effort to focus some positive energy for the Bills during this trying season I recently volunteered to write the wiki entry for our beloved Billikens on the college basketball page of reddit- reddit.com/r/collegebasketball. If you are looking for a good, active, and civil place to discuss all things college basketball, I highly recommend it. It does require that you sign up for reddit, which is anonymous and free. 

Anyways, most of the criteria is pretty straightforward: Founding year of the University, campus location, traditions, yada yada. But one of the sections is pretty interesting: Greatest games. I have been following the Bills with passion since the early 2000's and am also a bit of a history nerd and therefore familiar with a lot of our history before that, but I wanted to get the board's opinion on some of our greatest games in the programs history. 

So far here is what I am thinking:

1948 NIT Championship: SLU 66- NYU 52

2000 CUSA Second Round "The Miracle in Memphis": SLU 68- Cincinnati 58

2010 vs Dayton "The Shot": SLU 68- Dayton 65 (2OT)

2012 @ Butler: SLU 65- Butler 61

I hoping to fill that glaring void from 1948 to 2000, or just overall curious at what people think are the greatest single games in our programs history. 

Many thanks ahead of time! 

I call it the Valentine's Day Massacre, when beat Cincinnati , they were ranked, thinking #4, 2000 season timeframe. The Helicopter got SO pissed..

MInnesota win in '95 NCAA tourney, last 30 seconds took forever.

Conklin Smash game vs. UW.

Any win over X

10 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Beating MU and Kansas.  Don't remember and are too lazy to look up the years.  The Kansas win was marred by my dropping my wedding ring, which rolled a couple rows down before a kind soul gave it back to me.  Missed the final moments of the game worrying about that..... 

We beat KU in '98 78-64 and Mizzou in '99 75-72. Both at home, that was part of a back to back tourney run for the Bills led by Hughes the first year and a solid team the next. Scott Highmark will go to his grave believing that the Bills would have gone to the Final Four if Hughes stayed one more year. He brings it up every time they have Hughes on a broadcast.  

3 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

We beat KU in '98 78-64 and Mizzou in '99 75-72. Both at home, that was part of a back to back tourney run for the Bills led by Hughes the first year and a solid team the next. Scott Highmark will go to his grave believing that the Bills would have gone to the Final Four if Hughes stayed one more year. He brings it up every time they have Hughes on a broadcast.  

Whoops, I have my own history wrong, we went in 97-98, then back in 99-00. 

I don't know if my offering calls for greatest games, but that year we won the Anaheim Holiday Tourney under RM in 2011-12 was probably some of the greatest BB I've ever seen SLU play. We were a friggin' well oiled machine out there. I'd also add the W over a streaking Memphis team in Columbus and then a real nail biter against the #1 seed MSU. We definitely had our chances to get to the Sweet 16 in that one. Obviously, the NC State game was something to behold. I've no argument w/ any of the games listed above.

Some not mentioned but could be.

- Any NCAA victory, but especially the Memphis win in Columbus (first NCAA win since Larry, guaranteed a weekend stay, Mizzou had just lost to Norfolk St.)

- Hughes led win against Illinois in the dome in front of 28k or so.

- Clags and Highmark win against Cinci in 94, virtually secured first NCAA bid since the 50s

- Conklin senior night against Xavier, virtually secured an NCAA bid

- Any of the 2012 home A10 wins over LaSalle, Butler and VCU. Absolutely dominated those games and all 3 were NCAA teams

- The NIT win at New Mexico in 89 to advance to the Final 4.

The 1948 NIT win has to be at the top since there is a legitimate argument that this was a national championship.  The next season, SLU started out ranked #1 in the very first AP poll.  After returning home from the win by train, they were greeted by 15,000 at Union Station.  The team was immediately put into cars decorated in blue and white and driven to campus for a celebration.  That certainly seems like the top win to me.

There may be other wins in that era that were big.

Young fan here, but here are my favorites from my college years (I was extremely lucky to experience the Golden Age of Billiken basketball)

• Conklin Smash game vs. Washington
  • Downing Xavier on Conklin's senior night to all but seal a tourney bid
  • Beating Memphis in the tourney
  • Losing to Michigan St in the next round. Even though it was a loss, the way we played against a top team was admirable. Probably the proudest I've ever felt after a loss.
  • Destroying New Mexico on New Years Eve 2012 and watching Steve Alford get ejected
  • Beating Butler at home in 2013
  • Beating Butler on at Hinkle in 2013
  • Clinching the A10 regular season title on Senior Day for Kwamain and Cody
  • Beating VCU for the A10 tourney championship in 2013
  • Taking down VCU on ESPN in 2014 (a win that would vault us into the Top 10)
  • Jordair's game-winner at UMass to end a losing streak and clinch the 2014 A10 title
  • The NC State game. Enough said. 

32 minutes ago, billiken class of 15 said:

Young fan here, but here are my favorites from my college years (I was extremely lucky to experience the Golden Age of Billiken basketball)

• Conklin Smash game vs. Washington
  • Downing Xavier on Conklin's senior night to all but seal a tourney bid
  • Beating Memphis in the tourney
  • Losing to Michigan St in the next round. Even though it was a loss, the way we played against a top team was admirable. Probably the proudest I've ever felt after a loss.
  • Destroying New Mexico on New Years Eve 2012 and watching Steve Alford get ejected
  • Beating Butler at home in 2013
  • Beating Butler on at Hinkle in 2013
  • Clinching the A10 regular season title on Senior Day for Kwamain and Cody
  • Beating VCU for the A10 tourney championship in 2013
  • Taking down VCU on ESPN in 2014 (a win that would vault us into the Top 10)
  • Jordair's game-winner at UMass to end a losing streak and clinch the 2014 A10 title
  • The NC State game. Enough said. 

This was truly the Golden Age. It feels so long ago. 

UW Conklin Smash game. Set a tone early for what that season would become. Absolutely electric atmosphere at the Fetz, perhaps most electric ever. With the rare 11:00 start on a Saturday morning  for the national (or regional) audience, truly a coming out party.