JettFlight5

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

??

He was recently Facebook Live streaming at the game smiling and laughing. I guess he's in town to train for the D league. He's probably enjoying his former team getting shellacked @ home the way Jimmy allegedly ran him out of town.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/10/31/13476430/sevens-select-brannen-greene-2016-d-league-draft-kansas-delaware-87ers

1 hour ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Grandy Glaze is at the game. I bet he is enjoying seeing his former team getting romped.

Talked to Grandy at length tonight. He has nothing but love for SLU. He could not have been more positive about the direction the program is going. He is a Billiken first, GCU second kid. 

Back home now, this game counts as a loss by 21 points. I guess they will have a better measure of our team at Vegas for the second game. Judging by the comments in this thread, neither Gillmann nor Neufeld played very well. There were some positive comments for some of the other players, particularly for Welmer. Oh well, live and learn we will have to wait for the second game this season to see what we can do. One loss does not make a season.

Missed most of the game because of the death in the family otherwise would have been there to suffer with everyone.  I heard parts of the second half and got excited with some of the play of the freshman.  Based on what I have read Gillman is not a division one player and Neufeld is still struggling but I am not ready to give up on him.  Poor free throw shooting continues to hurt this team.  As far as coaching was concerned how did everyone feel about coach Ford?  Did anyone see anything that it look like a better game day coached game?

Regardless of how the season goes I am not in a hurry for the season to end.  I want to see this team improve under coach Ford and put the game day coaching concerns behind me.  Also it is a long wait for college basketball and I want to enjoy the season then after that hurry up 2017-2018 season. 

A couple things I took away from being there last night: while his shots weren't falling, Zeke looks like he could be a pretty good player down the road. His one move that is particularly exceptional is his step back, which he creates a ton of space on to get a shot up. However the player I was more impressed with was Jalen Johnson. His game is very fluid and he seems far more poised than younger players we have had recently. 

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

Missed most of the game because of the death in the family otherwise would have been there to suffer with everyone.  I heard parts of the second half and got excited with some of the play of the freshman.  Based on what I have read Gillman is not a division one player and Neufeld is still struggling but I am not ready to give up on him.  Poor free throw shooting continues to hurt this team.  As far as coaching was concerned how did everyone feel about coach Ford?  Did anyone see anything that it look like a better game day coached game?

Regardless of how the season goes I am not in a hurry for the season to end.  I want to see this team improve under coach Ford and put the game day coaching concerns behind me.  Also it is a long wait for college basketball and I want to enjoy the season then after that hurry up 2017-2018 season. 

Here are my personal opinions, which I assume brainstl won't agree with.

The 94 feet defense looked good, and looked to spark the team (a little).  The zone defense has possibilities, but they only played it for a few minutes.

Negatives, we still have the same OOB plays, chuck it over the back line.  That's really a bad play when the shot clock is under 10.  Welmer had to run back for one, and there was maybe 6 seconds left on the clock.  Clock awareness was lacking.

When the offense tried to run, (particularly Bishop) no one went with him.  Hence, he ended up with shots that had no chance.  If you want to run, you can't go alone. 

I'm not sure why we left the three point shooters so open.  It is a pretty easy fix to tell the team, don't leave the shooters. 

All three freshman looked like keepers. Crawford doesn't have his legs back from his hamstring injury.  His bounce wasn't there and he is  a step slow right now.

10 hours ago, Old guy said:

Oh well, live and learn we will have to wait for the second game this season to see what we can do. One loss does not make a season.

Well, Southern Utah is one of the worst teams in the country, so we better look significantly better on Monday. Interesting note on Southern Utah, they lost to Valpo by 14 getting 35 points from Randy Onwuasor. Anyone remember that name?

Heading into the season I thought the team had some intriguing pieces and still do, but overall the talent is just nowhere close (I imagine help is on the way is what I will keep telling myself throughout the winter). I didn't watch any of the game, but it looks like a few of the pieces may have showed some signs (Johnson, Moore, Welmer). What is going on with Bishop?

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Well, Southern Utah is one of the worst teams in the country, so we better look significantly better on Monday. Interesting note on Southern Utah, they lost to Valpo by 14 getting 35 points from Randy Onwuasor. Anyone remember that name?

Randy Onwuasor plays for Southern Utah??

For those that don't remember, Onwuasor was a player recruited by Crews right after he officially became head coach. I think he went to Texas Tech, and apparently now has transferred to Southern Utah.