Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

According to his dad's Twitter account, Terrence Hargrove, Jr. took an unofficial visit to Kansas then went to SLU - which would've been yesterday or today that they were/are on campus. He also said Jr. has an offer from Illinois State.

Apparently if Kansas offers that would end the recruitment. Obviously Kansas is a blue blood program, so who knows whether or not that offer will ever come for him. If not, I have to imagine we are positioned fairly well getting in on him early.

while Hargrove has a lot of attractive attributes, his production is very inconsistent and he disappeared in some notable games last year.   granted he was only a sophomore, but my point is he isn't an early Kansas offer imo.   not yet anyway.  

that said, i'd take him as a billiken in a second.   

If Hargrove called Ford up tomorrow and told Ford he wanted to commit right now, would you take it or would you wait to see what is going to happen with EJ Liddell?  Could you sign both?  Would Hargrove still want to commit if they were going to still recruit Liddell.  Like Roy, I would take Hargrove.  The bird in the hand.  I think Hargrove is going to be a really good player,  but Liddell has a chance to be something special. 

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If Hargrove called Ford up tomorrow and told Ford he wanted to commit right now, would you take it or would you wait to see what is going to happen with EJ Liddell?  Could you sign both?  Would Hargrove still want to commit if they were going to still recruit Liddell.  Like Roy, I would take Hargrove.  The bird in the hand.  I think Hargrove is going to be a really good player,  but Liddell has a chance to be something special. 

Then I would take them both-----and worry about having available scholarships later, if that is anyone's concern.

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

Then I would take them both-----and worry about having available scholarships later, if that is anyone's concern.

I would love to have them both and the scholarship numbers aren't what concern me.  I don't know if Hargrove would be interested in committing anywhere that was still going to recruit EJ Liddell.  I wouldn't be so hot on committing to a school that was still going to chase another guy that plays the same position in the same class.

Many are getting too caught up in positions.  If you look at our roster, we will have five to six players in 2018 that could be considered as a PFs (Bess, Foreman, French, Gordon, Santos, and Welmer.)  So what.  Right now we have Thatch in hand and still working on Watson, both theoretically play the same position.  When is the last time we had a true classical center that contributed?  Manning?  You don't build a roster trying to fit in 13 players into the 5 classical slots.

Get them signed and let Coach figure it out later.  

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I would love to have them both and the scholarship numbers aren't what concern me.  I don't know if Hargrove would be interested in committing anywhere that was still going to recruit EJ Liddell.  I wouldn't be so hot on committing to a school that was still going to chase another guy that plays the same position in the same class.

I've only watched highlight videos but I'm not under the impression that they really play the same position. I would think they could coexist from a roster fit standpoint. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Apparently if Kansas offers that would end the recruitment. Obviously Kansas is a blue blood program, so who knows whether or not that offer will ever come for him. If not, I have to imagine we are positioned fairly well getting in on him early.

I would have to think that even if he blows up, he's going to still be a backup plan at best for KU. They bring a lot of kids out early in the process and very few relative to those invited end up with live, committable offers in the end. Some of those kids are guys who project high early and get injured or fall off or don't hit a high trajectory (Will Gladson visited there at least once early in HS), and others are guys that aren't big deals yet but might blow up later (Hargrove). So I agree that we're in good shape being early on him; I'm just not sure he's going to end up with a KU offer unless they're in need of bodies in the spring of his senior year.

Liddell is already big enough to play the 4 in the A-10. In fact I think that's where he will probably play anyway. He's not going to hurt you off the dribble. He's a fundamentally sound post player that can also catch and shoot out to 17 feet. If he make the transition to the 3, I believe it will be later in his college career.

51 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

If we have a shot at Liddell play that out.   Get both that would be a huge get

I'm sure we don't have a shot at either since they live in C Martin territory and he will have plenty of room for big men by the time that recruiting class would reach college since both Porters and Tilmon will be in the NBA by then:angry:

3 hours ago, bauman said:

I'm sure we don't have a shot at either since they live in C Martin territory and he will have plenty of room for big men by the time that recruiting class would reach college since both Porters and Tilmon will be in the NBA by then:angry:

Wouldn't say no shot, but Pickett said he is close with Liddell, and of course Tilmon was teammates with Hargrove and of course Tilmon and Pickett have committed to multiple schools together, so there are a lot of Mizzou ties. I hope it's okay to mention Mizzou.

40 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Wouldn't say no shot, but Pickett said he is close with Liddell, and of course Tilmon was teammates with Hargrove and of course Tilmon and Pickett have committed to multiple schools together, so there are a lot of Mizzou ties. I hope it's okay to mention Mizzou.

Tilmon won't be at mizzou in two years and we have a guy named Goodwin...

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Yea Pickett did a great job at getting Tilmon and Goodwin to Illinois after he committed like he said he was going to work on, that why all 3 are there next year, right?  Tilmon did commit but wavered and said he wouldn't have gone to Illinois if it wasn't for Coach Walker and then even when Pickett said he was going to stay at Illinois at end of year, Tilmon left.  Pickett left after that. Not trying to take a shot at Pickett, think he will be a good player, but he isn't a great player that will convince top kids to come play with him.   

The combo of Tilmon and Pickett did great getting Goodwin to Illinois too.  Yep, the mention of Mizzou totally makes sense because impossible your logic is flawed there.  They may still go to Mizzou but it will be Martin that gets them, not those two.

Liddell did mention being friends with Goodwin at SLU when asked about recruiting but no point in mentioning that right? 

3 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Yea Pickett did a great job at getting Tilmon and Goodwin to Illinois after he committed like he said he was going to work on, that why all 3 are there next year, right?  Tilmon did commit but wavered and said he wouldn't have gone to Illinois if it wasn't for Coach Walker and then even when Pickett said he was going to stay at Illinois at end of year, Tilmon left.  Pickett left after that. Not trying to take a shot at Pickett, think he will be a good player, but he isn't a great player that will convince top kids to come play with him.   

The combo of Tilmon and Pickett did great getting Goodwin to Illinois too.  Yep, the mention of Mizzou totally makes sense because impossible your logic is flawed there.  They may still go to Mizzou but it will be Martin that gets them, not those two.

Liddell did mention being friends with Goodwin at SLU when asked about recruiting but no point in mentioning that right? 

IMG_0458.GIF

16 hours ago, goonaha said:

This kid has an amazing story. His family fled Sudan when he was a baby, so he grew up in Nairobi, Kenya. He's ethnically Dinka, the largest South Sudanese group, and the same as Manute Bol (and his son, a 5-star 2018 recruit), Thon Maker, and Luol Deng. He speaks six languages and wants to be a doctor because he lost a brother when he was young. He started playing basketball in 8th grade. High ceiling here.

John Bol Ajak - C, 6-10, 205 - South Sudan (Church Farm School, PA) - Twitter: @JohnBolAjak5

Offers: SLU.

Interest: St. Joe's, Temple.

Latest News: Bol received a SLU offer in June. (6/22/17)

Scouting Report: Bol is an extremely long post player with a high motor. He runs the floor extremely well and finishes hard. His face-up game is improving and he has a nice jump shot. On the defensive end, he has a nose for the ball and looks to go after everything near him, aggressively rebounding and blocking shots. He didn't start playing basketball until 8th grade in Nairobi, Kenya (his family fled Sudan when he was a baby), so he came to the Church Farm School extremely raw as a freshman but has progressed considerably. He averaged 12 PPG, 10 RPG, and 2 BPG as a sophomore and looks poised to break out heading into his junior season.

9 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

'19 Aundre Hyatt, '19 Michael Christmas & '19 Anderson Mirambeaux from Boo Williams (VA), will go on an unofficial visit to St. Louis today.

Wow, being able to get a mass visit like this from one of the biggest AAU programs in the country is impressive. Hyatt is a high major, top 50 talent.

7 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

'19 Aundre Hyatt, '19 Michael Christmas & '19 Anderson Mirambeaux from Boo Williams (VA), will go on an unofficial visit to St. Louis today.

Thanks, good stuff. We've been on Hyatt for a long time. Christmas and Mirambeaux are new names - to me, at least.