Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

Hearing Justin Love has accepted the varsity job at Mascoutah. Good for him, but it certainly didn't hurt him being around Liddell at Belleville West whispering in his ear for SLU everyday.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Majerus' 1st class had Mitchell, Rees, and Conklin, so let's wait and see.  Thompson and Cotto were highly regarded as well. And also Femi John.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

That's three of the thirty best players in program history - going to be hard to top...

The first class had 3 really good players....of 7 that came that year. For my money, RM's best class was definitely McCall, Evans, Jett and Loe. 

4 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Majerus' 1st class had Mitchell, Rees, and Conklin, so let's wait and see.  Thompson and Cotto were highly regarded as well. And also Femi John.

Obviously, they have to prove themselves, but I will put money down that French, Goodwin, Gordon will be much better freshmen than those three mentioned above. Also will have better Freshmen year than Jett, Evans and Loe. 

McCall had an outstanding freshmen year I believe and will be similar to thatch I feel

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Obviously, they have to prove themselves, but I will put money down that French, Goodwin, Gordon will be much better freshmen than those three mentioned above. Also will have better Freshmen year than Jett, Evans and Loe. 

McCall had an outstanding freshmen year I believe and will be similar to thatch I feel

But you aren't recruiting for freshman year - you're recruiting for potential. I'm not sure there was a soul on this board who thought Conklin would be a first-team all conference player or Jett would be a CPOY based on their freshman year.... you're looking for potential, and RM saw that. We will see if Ford does the same.

And it is probably before your fandom, but If any/all three of those have a Mitchell-type freshman season, I'll be a very happy man. KM had maybe the best since I've been a fan. (Outside of Hughes obviously, and that was my first year of Billiball)

9 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

You will probably correct with your statement as freshman but I will wait and see how the guys play together as a team and that is just as important.

Coach Majerus found players underrated that would play his system and it was extremely effective because coach buzz kill Crews could not even mess that up.  Jett and Evans were really good and we hope that coach Ford's recruits can reach those heights in their SLU careers.

Take a step back coach Ford has recruited like this before and the results were not what many had hoped for.  I am really excited about the potential of our team I think Mr. French will be another Anthony Bonner, I hope that Goodwin will remind us of Larry Hughes and Mr. Gordon will be someone that we have never seen on a SLU team.

12 hours ago, drkelsey55 said:

First thing when I get up..... Last thing before I go to bed!! Everyday

Me too, I love this site and SLU basketball.

Recruiting for potential is a two edge sword.

Charles 'Ricky' Cranford, best player in NYC in 1997-98.  Scored 13 points for the Bills.

Donnie Atkins (or Atkinson?)  WVA player of the year. (The next Jerry West!)  Never saw the floor for the Bills after RS his freshman year.

Rueben Cotto has already been mentioned in this thread.

Sometimes potential just doesn't work out.

I like what you said just above HoosierPal, basically your post documents the fact that sometimes performance and ranking in HS does not translate into performance and ranking in D1 . Why is this the case? Presumably there is no single reason for any kid not being able to perform in D1 as he did in HS. This problem is most likely due to multiple individual factors, probably clashes between expectations and reality (and the feeling of being short changed) play a part in the lack of performance, but other things may as well. I would assume team chemistry, leadership or lack of it within the team, and of course coaching is a major factor, and I mean all the coaches involved in a team's effort not just the head coach. 

We will see for sure, I have faith and trust in Ford and his team to see us through and get the performance we expect our of our recruits and transfers.

We should have been leery of the Atkins and Cranford recruitments by Spoon - Spoon was not a tireless recruiter and to go in and get the best player from NYC and the player of the year from WVA should have told us they were not going to work out.  If they were any good Spoon would never have and a shot at them - schools in the east would not let them out of the region especially to SLU

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Recruiting for potential is a two edge sword.

Charles 'Ricky' Cranford, best player in NYC in 1997-98.  Scored 13 points for the Bills.

Donnie Atkins (or Atkinson?)  WVA player of the year. (The next Jerry West!)  Never saw the floor for the Bills after RS his freshman year.

Rueben Cotto has already been mentioned in this thread.

Sometimes potential just doesn't work out.

In the history of all the message boards devoted to SLU basketball, including Nark's original, I don't think anyone has ever called Donnie Atkins "the next Jerry West" Where do people come up with this stuff?

16 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

Hearing Justin Love has accepted the varsity job at Mascoutah. Good for him, but it certainly didn't hurt him being around Liddell at Belleville West whispering in his ear for SLU everyday.

His wife is from Mascoutah. I agree in that it was better for SLU to have him coaching E.J. Liddell on a daily basis. This doesn't kill our chances by any means, but it's a negative development. Anyone know who might be lined up for that job now?

Don't want to bring up stars again, but I was looking at the past few years of the A10 and it seemed that so many teams who were at the top 4 of the conference had a rotation at the bottom 4 the following year (RI, Davidson, SLU with the biggest drops). The only team I noticed that didn't have as big of a slip is VCU. VCU is also one of the teams who almost every year had top 100 recruits in the A10 and was often alone in that. Just something neat I noticed. Feel free to disagree but that is my perception. 

6 hours ago, kshoe said:

In the history of all the message boards devoted to SLU basketball, including Nark's original, I don't think anyone has ever called Donnie Atkins "the next Jerry West" Where do people come up with this stuff?

I was going to ask same thing but not in Cranston's case. I remember that being the case he was named player of the year in NYC by some one some where, it wasn't just declared by Spoon.

it is my understanding he has a billiken offer.   He had an Illini offer from Groce, no idea if that is still out there.   Doesn't matter, with two years to go and as good as he is, it will be more of a "who doesn't he have an offer from?" by 2019.

3 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Do you know his other offers? Thanks in advance

SLU, DePaul, Illinois, Iowa, K-State, Mizzou, and SIUC are his 7 offers.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

it is my understanding he has a billiken offer.   He had an Illini offer from Groce, no idea if that is still out there.   Doesn't matter, with two years to go and as good as he is, it will be more of a "who doesn't he have an offer from?" by 2019.

Underwood refreshed his offer from Illinois, and his staff is making Liddell a priority for the 2019 class.

While I'm at it: Creighton, Butler, and Texas, among others, are showing interest in Liddell.

Underwood was out to see him play for BBE in late April. Liddell is reportedly close with Mark Smith, too.