Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

It would not help us in the recruiting game if our players aren’t getting looked at by the nba

Jesus Christ you are clueless. Do you know the odds of making the NBA? The effect our players not making the NBA  would have on recruiting is marginal at best

20 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Jesus Christ you are clueless. Do you know the odds of making the NBA? The effect our players not making the NBA  would have on recruiting is marginal at best

The fact that recruits and the media reporters still talk about Ford’s success with Smart shows that it does matter and recruits do look at coaches resumes with past players

jp73 likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Why not?  It is pretty easy, and painless, to 'test the waters'.  I'd say it is probable that one to three of them find out what the NBA has to say about their games. 

I don't know exactly how it works but I doubt the NBA just evaluates any and everybody

48 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I don't know exactly how it works but I doubt the NBA just evaluates any and everybody

By a rough count, it looks like 190+ NCAA players 'tested the waters' for the 2018 NBA draft.  Included was Tremaine Isabell.  

I found this  on the ESPN website:

In late February, NBA executive VP of basketball operations Kiki VanDeWeghe sent college coaches an application for players to request an evaluation from the Undergraduate Advisory Committee (UAC), formed in 1997 to assist players in the decision-making process.

The memo reads in part:

"The purpose of the (UAC) is to provide underclassmen who are thinking of turning professional with an objective evaluation of their prospects in the 2018 NBA Draft.

The Committee's evaluation is, of course, only an educated assessment and is not binding in any way or a commitment or guarantee that a player will or will not be drafted in a certain slot or at all. Please also understand that the Committee's evaluation should in no way be viewed as an effort to encourage the player to leave school; the Committee is simply responding to a request for information. Neither the player, you, nor any representative of either of you, may make public any of the information communicated by the Committee."

The UAC sends NBA executives a series of emails with a list of names, requesting their team's assessment of players' draft stock. The player is then informed of the consensus reached by weighing the NBA executives' responses and offering feedback on whether the player is likely to be a lottery pick, first-rounder, second-rounder or undrafted.

NBA teams are split on the early-entry rules instituted in 2016. A segment appreciates the ability to cast a wide net during the pre-draft process, conduct dozens of private workouts in May and potentially uncover sleepers to follow in future drafts. Some franchises (such as the Boston Celtics and Utah Jazz, though it varies year-to-year depending on draft picks) are incredibly aggressive about flying in as many prospects as possible for private workouts, as this allows them to gather quite a bit of information in the form of measurements, athletic testing data, interviews, psychological assessments and medical examinations. This also allows for an evaluation of players' individual skill sets on the court using the teams' own coaches and uniquely tailored drills.

Pistol and slufanskip like this

2 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

The fact that recruits and the media reporters still talk about Ford’s success with Smart shows that it does matter and recruits do look at coaches resumes with past players

I would imagine coaches use players who have played professionally as recruiting tools. 

Why wouldn't they?

Most high school seniors are smart enough to know they aren't going to the NBA but telling a non NBA kid about all the kids you have placed overseas is a great tool.

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I would imagine coaches use players who have played professionally as recruiting tools. 

Why wouldn't they?

Most high school seniors are smart enough to know they aren't going to the NBA but telling a non NBA kid about all the kids you have placed overseas is a great tool.

This is the key. It’s about $$$ playing basketball. Where  matters very little 

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is the key. It’s about $$$ playing basketball. Where  matters very little 

Yep.  Ford is going to recruit very few kids who go on to the NBA. He is going to recruit tons of kids who go on to play professionally. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

By a rough count, it looks like 190+ NCAA players 'tested the waters' for the 2018 NBA draft.  Included was Tremaine Isabell.  

I found this  on the ESPN website:

In late February, NBA executive VP of basketball operations Kiki VanDeWeghe sent college coaches an application for players to request an evaluation from the Undergraduate Advisory Committee (UAC), formed in 1997 to assist players in the decision-making process.

The memo reads in part:

"The purpose of the (UAC) is to provide underclassmen who are thinking of turning professional with an objective evaluation of their prospects in the 2018 NBA Draft.

The Committee's evaluation is, of course, only an educated assessment and is not binding in any way or a commitment or guarantee that a player will or will not be drafted in a certain slot or at all. Please also understand that the Committee's evaluation should in no way be viewed as an effort to encourage the player to leave school; the Committee is simply responding to a request for information. Neither the player, you, nor any representative of either of you, may make public any of the information communicated by the Committee."

The UAC sends NBA executives a series of emails with a list of names, requesting their team's assessment of players' draft stock. The player is then informed of the consensus reached by weighing the NBA executives' responses and offering feedback on whether the player is likely to be a lottery pick, first-rounder, second-rounder or undrafted.

NBA teams are split on the early-entry rules instituted in 2016. A segment appreciates the ability to cast a wide net during the pre-draft process, conduct dozens of private workouts in May and potentially uncover sleepers to follow in future drafts. Some franchises (such as the Boston Celtics and Utah Jazz, though it varies year-to-year depending on draft picks) are incredibly aggressive about flying in as many prospects as possible for private workouts, as this allows them to gather quite a bit of information in the form of measurements, athletic testing data, interviews, psychological assessments and medical examinations. This also allows for an evaluation of players' individual skill sets on the court using the teams' own coaches and uniquely tailored drills.

Good info

I have no idea how much you can make playing basketball professionally overseas. I assume each particular country or region or league has its own compensation levels, its own rules, and its own quirks, and there are also issues of climate, ease of travel, and quality of life. I also assume that the information available by word of mouth is fractional, in other words there is not enough information to compare regions or leagues in some detail. It might be a very good idea to develop a compilation of different aspects of playing in these overseas leagues in enough detail to allow for comparison between one another. I think this could be a very good career tool.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I have no idea how much you can make playing basketball professionally overseas. I assume each particular country or region or league has its own compensation levels, its own rules, and its own quirks, and there are also issues of climate, ease of travel, and quality of life. I also assume that the information available by word of mouth is fractional, in other words there is not enough information to compare regions or leagues in some detail. It might be a very good idea to develop a compilation of different aspects of playing in these overseas leagues in enough detail to allow for comparison between one another. I think this could be a very good career tool.

I know for certain that Robert Archibald who played for IL but went to high school in StL made very good money playing overseas.  He said that after 10 years of playing that he had several millions salted away.  Exactly how much he did not say.  

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

Chris Heinrich made very good money playing in Europe.

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

6’9 guard with low major offers. Mickey Pearson redux?

Kid has grown 8 inches in the last two years.   If he is now 6'8" or or 6'9" he has grown even more since this article was written.  Also, he has a 6'11 wingspan.  

https://www.mlive.com/sports/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2018/04/ann_arbor_pioneer_forward_kase.html

10 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

6’9 guard with low major offers. Mickey Pearson redux?

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Kid has grown 8 inches in the last two years.   If he is now 6'8" or or 6'9" he has grown even more since this article was written.  Also, he has a 6'11 wingspan.  

https://www.mlive.com/sports/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2018/04/ann_arbor_pioneer_forward_kase.html

Kasean Pryor - F, 6-9, 190 - Ann Arbor, MI (Pioneer) - Twitter: @KaseanP

Offers: SLU, Milwaukee, Detroit, SIUC, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Canisius, Robert Morris, NJIT, Hartford, South Alabama, Southern Utah.

Interest: Temple, Portland, Loyola-Chicago, Cleveland State, Ohio, Towson, Wagner.

Latest News: Pryor received an offer from SLU. (8/14/18)

Scouting Report: Pryor is a long, lean forward with a lot of versatility. He's a late bloomer who was originally a guard but with a late growth spurt has grown quickly who will need to add to his frame and could be more of a skilled stretch 4 in college. He can score on all three levels and is an excellent defensive rebounder. He has solid on-ball skills, can shoot off the catch or pull-up, blocks shots, and can guard any position. Despite being based in Ann Arbor, he plays AAU ball for Young & Reckless out of Chicago. His dad is basketball coach Sean Pryor, currently at EMU and previously at New Mexico Highlands, Chicago State, and Mineral Area College; a Chicago native, he played at Mineral Area and Oregon State before playing professionally in France and Puerto Rico.

-I wouldn't call him an MP redux, but he's an intriguing prospect in his own right. He was a guard not getting any attention and as Brian said, he sprung up in a short amount of time. He needs to add to his frame considerably and get comfortable but in the meantime, he's got a broader skill set than most players his height. He says he can play or guard all five positions. His first two offers were in late April, and most of the rest just came in the past few weeks. He's living in Ann Arbor now but is originally a Chicago kid, where his dad is from, and most of his family is there. He said he'd love to play relatively close to home but is open to going anywhere that is the best fit for him. He plays AAU ball for Young & Reckless out of Chicago, and SLU is clearly recruiting this program - Antonio Reeves (2019), Keshawn Williams (2020), Reggie Strong (2020), and Seryee Lewis (2020) all have SLU offers.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Kasean Pryor - F, 6-9, 190 - Ann Arbor, MI (Pioneer) - Twitter: @KaseanP

Offers: SLU, Milwaukee, Detroit, SIUC, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Canisius, Robert Morris, NJIT, Hartford, South Alabama, Southern Utah.

Interest: Temple, Portland, Loyola-Chicago, Cleveland State, Ohio, Towson, Wagner.

Latest News: Pryor received an offer from SLU. (8/14/18)

Scouting Report: Pryor is a long, lean forward with a lot of versatility. He's a late bloomer who was originally a guard but with a late growth spurt has grown quickly who will need to add to his frame and could be more of a skilled stretch 4 in college. He can score on all three levels and is an excellent defensive rebounder. He has solid on-ball skills, can shoot off the catch or pull-up, blocks shots, and can guard any position. Despite being based in Ann Arbor, he plays AAU ball for Young & Reckless out of Chicago. His dad is basketball coach Sean Pryor, currently at EMU and previously at New Mexico Highlands, Chicago State, and Mineral Area College; a Chicago native, he played at Mineral Area and Oregon State before playing professionally in France and Puerto Rico.

-I wouldn't call him an MP redux, but he's an intriguing prospect in his own right. He was a guard not getting any attention and as Brian said, he sprung up in a short amount of time. He needs to add to his frame considerably and get comfortable but in the meantime, he's got a broader skill set than most players his height. He says he can play or guard all five positions. His first two offers were in late April, and most of the rest just came in the past few weeks. He's living in Ann Arbor now but is originally a Chicago kid, where his dad is from, and most of his family is there. He said he'd love to play relatively close to home but is open to going anywhere that is the best fit for him. He plays AAU ball for Young & Reckless out of Chicago, and SLU is clearly recruiting this program - Antonio Reeves (2019), Keshawn Williams (2020), Reggie Strong (2020), and Seryee Lewis (2020) all have SLU offers.

SLU has offered a ton of Young and Restless guys. Interesting this one came late. 

EDIT: Should have kept reading your synopsis. 

Hopefully we have better luck with Young and Restless than Illinois has with Mac Irvin Fire :D 

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

SLU has offered a ton of Young and Restless guys. Interesting this one came late. 

EDIT: Should have kept reading your synopsis. 

Hopefully we have better luck with Young and Restless than Illinois has with Mac Irvin Fire :D 

Someone's clearly a soap opera fan.