GDT: NCAA Tournament Opening Weekend

Pistol

Sure, not a "real" GDT and maybe more of an OT one, but still.

Who's watching the early games?

UNCW gave Duke all they could handle, and some missed shots by UNCW and beneficial calls (shocking!) helped Duke ice it in the last 100 seconds or so.

The UConn-Colorado game has been an ugly one. I had UConn in this one, but mostly because I haven't seen Colorado play much this season.

Butler won by 10 in a game that was neck-and-neck the whole time. Dunham had a nice game.

Not sure if I want to switch over to the rest of ISU-Iona (14 point difference right now) or the rest of the 1st half in the Baylor-Yale game. Yale's intriguing, but I picked Baylor to go on a bit of a run in this thing.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, should have known Baylor was the 5 seed to pick against....

Baylor is always overrated come tourney time. Really feels like Drew underachieves every single ncaa.

Ain't that the truth.

Wichita State's defense really locked down Arizona. Baylor turns out to be the 5/12. I really liked Gonzaga with Sabonis and Wiltjer for a first round win only. I had Purdue in the final 8, I am just not any good at this even though I watch a lot of college basketball, I am at 48 percent so far.

Baylor is always overrated come tourney time. Really feels like Drew underachieves every single ncaa.

I just figured Yale was the trendy upset pick that always comes back to bite me in the arse. Instead, the Baptists bit me in the arse.

BTW, I have KU going deep in the tournament, so prepare for them to flame out early. They manage to always do the opposite of what I predict.

-don't hire a Drew ;) , I figured Baylor couldn't flame out again, how wrong I was

-Yale was impressive and USC's lack of defense at the end of the game was equally not impressive

-Purdue went comatose which was good for my bracket which is otherwise not so good after day 1

-the A10 gets going today

Wichita State's defense really locked down Arizona. Baylor turns out to be the 5/12. I really liked Gonzaga with Sabonis and Wiltjer for a first round win only. I had Purdue in the final 8, I am just not any good at this even though I watch a lot of college basketball, I am at 48 percent so far.

You're doing great. I'm at 26 percent. I should have gone with favorite uniform colors or maybe just flipped a coin.

I have no idea how people who actually watch the first two rounds (and this year the round of 64 is back to officially being the first round) of the NCAA tournament over time can justify the selection of marginal Big 5 teams over good candidates from more conferences. It is mind-boggling to me how the success of 12 and 13 seeds gets divorced from selection when giving a team a 12 or 13 seed means that you are ONLY here because you won your conference and no matter how worthy the team you beat was a team that limps along in a tough conference and occasionally wins a tough game is more deserving.

This year was even worse with the inclusion of the likes of Tulsa and Syracuse.{I don't care if Syracuse beats Dayton they didn't deserve a bid] It doesn't help that Billas,Greenberg,Fran F andDickie V shill for the power conferences.

This year was even worse with the inclusion of the likes of Tulsa and Syracuse.{I don't care if Syracuse beats Dayton they didn't deserve a bid] It doesn't help that Billas,Greenberg,Fran F andDickie V shill for the power conferences.

It does seem that very different standards are used. I used to argue that a biased but consistent standard was used but now it seems to be on a case by case basis. Tulsa and Temple kind of proved this point as at-larges (less so Syracuse but I will take their case next)--they actually did not look good enough on any objective ranking (Temple's RPI, LRMC, Massey and Pomeroy are all terrible). They both did schedule tough but they lost plenty of games.

Syracuse supposedly benefitted from other factors and had an OK ranking in some computers but usually an RPI that terrible coupled with losing 5 out 6 games down the stretch would rule them out. This gets to the bias and the inconsistency. Bigger schools are allowed 3 different avenues apparently now RPI or Other Computer Rankings or Profile factors (as there are multiple other computer rankings and profile factors at play you could say they have even more avenues). Other schools have to have a good RPI and Other Computer Rankings and Profile factors. The generous "OR" versus the eliminating "AND".

I think most of us saw a nearly exit coming

Not me, this why I never do any good picking the brackets.

I am sitting at work watching CBS and laughing out loud. The half time show of Johnson,Smith ,Kellog and Barkley is hillarious. The TNT guys might not know the college game but who cares. I love watching these guys as compared to the different ESPN teams we see all year.

Can we all agree that there is a direct correlation between basketball knowledge and brackets? I am at 99% and that obviously shows that I know the game better than all of you (unless you are somehow above that). No need to ask how my bracket is doing from here on out...