Turning corner

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You think with all this improvement among players we would have more than 10 wins.

Listen. You just have to be patient. With this year over year improvement in conference record, when this sophomore class is starting their medical residency, they'll be competing for conference titles. Stay the course.

I'd say of all the sophomores, Reynolds has shown the most improvement - which is to say "1% or greater" improvement, since no one else has.

PPG improvement is 2.2X. RPG improvement is 1.4X. Assists improvement is 3.4X. Guess your math is different than mine.

PPG improvement is 2.2X. RPG improvement is 1.4X. Assists improvement is 3.4X. Guess your math is different than mine.

Oh, for ######'s sake.

Edit: To clarify, which I can't believe needs to happen, my point was not that Reynolds improved by 1% from last year. It was that he's the only player who has shown any improvement - "1% or greater improvement." This is obvious to anyone with a fourth grade reading level.

If you want to plant your flag here as a Crews defender, it's not going to be fun for you. The rest have either changed their tone completely (because you can only ignore reality for so long) or backed into the shadows. Don't embarrass yourself. You have nothing.

When you're pointing to a 10 win team's 4th point guard as most improved you know you're reaching

Reynolds has a lot of energy. Thats what I can say for him. HoosierPal's other posts and these speak for themselves.

I like that Reynolds tried hard. This team sucks and we need a total overhaul of the roster.

Wow! I had no idea we are the best team in Missouri D1 ranks. How freaking awesome is that? Someone negative will say something stupid about how being the best of the worst is a good thing and Jimmy has tons to be proud of and nice job.

Being the best of the worst is a good thing. Jim Crews has tons to be proud of. Nice job. (And let me add, Contract extension!)

Geez, to say that Reynolds has not progressed from his frosh year to this year is avoiding reality. Last year, Reynolds averaged 4.0 ppg, 1.6 rpg with 0.8 assists per game.

This year to date, 8.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.7 apg. Okay, all of you are smarter than me, but tell me how 4.0 is better than 8.7; 1.6 ahead of 2.7 and 0.8 is prefered to 2.7?

Gillmann - broken foot. Yarbrough - concussion. Bartley - hobbled all year with a foot injury. Blame those on Crews as you wish, but give Reynolds some credit.

With respect, Reynolds has improved but not enough to be a starter and does not play in every game. Reynolds sits while a walk on and freshman play. MY is being judged by making the same mistakes game after game I believe he is the most frustrating of all of the sophomores. AG when playing did not show any improvement. BJ looks the same as last year and never plays. MB has lost his shot and does not do enough like Crawford when his shots are not falling to stay in the game. DR has regressed from last year. I think all of the sophomores have played as hard as they can so the effort is there but no starters out of 6 recruits and that has hurt the basketball program. This is why I call the sophomores a lost class and hopefully a new coach will change that to a good class.

The Joe Strauss Memorial Show-Me D-1 Rankings, with RPI's:

1- 192 SLU

2- 214 Mizzou

3- 235 Missouri State

4- 293 UMKC

5- 342 SEMO

We're #1. We're #1! Only Pollyanna could spin that one that way.

Mercy.

If Strauss made those rankings, he would've put Chaminade ahead of us, maybe another high school team too, and a good D-2 program too.

But otherwise, well done.

Miles has improved some, but let's not act like it is some massive improvement. The improved numbers Hoosier site coincide with his minutes per game almost doubling and the number of possessions per game for SLU increasing. It all means more opportunities for Miles to put up numbers. It also explains his turnovers per game almost doubling.

1- 192 SLU
2- 214 Mizzou
3- 235 Missouri State
4- 293 UMKC

5- 342 SEMO

Mercy.

Holy hell, have the "local" college programs ever been this bad? Here are the Pomeroy numbers (added a few teams as well):

Illinois - 134

Southern Illinois - 145

Missouri - 174

Missouri State - 238

Saint Louis - 242

UMKC - 263

SIU-Edwardsville - 324

Southeast Missouri - 341

1- 192 SLU
2- 214 Mizzou
3- 235 Missouri State
4- 293 UMKC

5- 342 SEMO

Mercy.

Here is what my report card looks like with one extra local.............

Mizzou.....C+

SLU..........D+

Mo St........D+

UMKC.......D

SIU-e.........F+

SEMO........F-

Here is what my report card looks like with one extra local.............

Mizzou.....C+

SLU..........D+

Mo St........D+

UMKC.......D

SIU-e.........F+

SEMO........F-

Good stuff, what do you have Illinois and SIU-C as? This is pathetic all around. Does this say anything about the high school talent in the area or just that the programs and leaders of those programs are terrible?

Miles has improved some, but let's not act like it is some massive improvement. The improved numbers Hoosier site coincide with his minutes per game almost doubling and the number of possessions per game for SLU increasing. It all means more opportunities for Miles to put up numbers. It also explains his turnovers per game almost doubling.

Ah, someone with common sense. I never said Miles has had "massive improvement." He has, I will call it, documented, solid improvement from his freshman year to soph year. Now I'm sure most posters will say it is due totally to his off season program and has nothing to do with the staff. Whatever, I have no idea the reason for his improvement. But it is there.

You realize you will be criticized for "partially agreeing".

Ah, someone with common sense. I never said Miles has had "massive improvement." He has, I will call it, documented, solid improvement from his freshman year to soph year. Now I'm sure most posters will say it is due totally to his off season program and has nothing to do with the staff. Whatever, I have no idea the reason for his improvement. But it is there.

You realize you will be criticized for "partially agreeing".

Most would agree reynolds is better than last year. But that statement makes no reference to the question as to what level of talent reynolds is at. Reynolds like most of the roster is just not talented enough to excel at the A10 level. He obviously plays hard and seems to have a c great attitude but pardon me if I don't see him ever being confused with even carlos McCauley let alone kevin lisch, Jordair jett or Erwin claggett.

And I think brian is right in referencing miles greatly increase minutes compared to last season. Of course a lot of his stats will go up simply because he saw the floor more this season

Hoosier I admire your devotion to coach crews. Everyone should have a friend/relative as loyal as you have been. But you must see you are all alone on this. Once the rickma talent graduated, this team has been a train wreck. The sophomore class is maybe the most disastrous recruiting class in billiken history. And crews has to take complete responsibility for finding it, bringing it to slu and the development of it.

Coming off of two remarkable seasons with rickma's players there is absolutely no reason this program fell so far. Plenty of programs reload with freshmen recruiting and never drop like we have. Look at Vanderbilt who rebuilt last year with a big freshmen class. Didn't see v them fall to the basement.

The bottom line to me is hopefully in a little over a week we put this staff on the job market and start over. Get a new coach and staff in here asap and begin recruiting over this roster immediately. Maybe we can get out of this in 4-5 years. Maybe we can get lucky with a top notch local or the new coach brings something with him. But time is up. Time to start a new Era.

Most would agree reynolds is better than last year. But that statement makes no reference to the question as to what level of talent reynolds is at. Reynolds like most of the roster is just not talented enough to excel at the A10 level. He obviously plays hard and seems to have a c great attitude but pardon me if I don't see him ever being confused with even carlos McCauley let alone kevin lisch, Jordair jett or Erwin claggett.

And I think brian is right in referencing miles greatly increase minutes compared to last season. Of course a lot of his stats will go up simply because he saw the floor more this season

Hoosier I admire your devotion to coach crews. Everyone should have a friend/relative as loyal as you have been. But you must see you are all alone on this. Once the rickma talent graduated, this team has been a train wreck. The sophomore class is maybe the most disastrous recruiting class in billiken history. And crews has to take complete responsibility for finding it, bringing it to slu and the development of it.

Coming off of two remarkable seasons with rickma's players there is absolutely no reason this program fell so far. Plenty of programs reload with freshmen recruiting and never drop like we have. Look at Vanderbilt who rebuilt last year with a big freshmen class. Didn't see v them fall to the basement.

The bottom line to me is hopefully in a little over a week we put this staff on the job market and start over. Get a new coach and staff in here asap and begin recruiting over this roster immediately. Maybe we can get out of this in 4-5 years. Maybe we can get lucky with a top notch local or the new coach brings something with him. But time is up. Time to start a new Era.

Nicely said +1

Revised Show Me College Basketball Rankings (per Massey College Basketball Ratings)

The Show Me Top 20

1- 193 Mizzou

2- 207 SLU

3- 215 Missouri State

4- 246 Northwest Missouri State

5- 345 UMKC

6- 349 Drury (a staple of the Joe Strauss' Show Me Rankings)

7- 353 Truman State

8- 379 Missouri Southern

(460 The Chaminade Silverswords would be #9 if Chaminade was in Missouri instead of Hawaii.)

9- 465 Mineral Area CC

10- 497 Lindenwood

11- 538 Columbia College

12- 542 Three Rivers CC

13- 558 SEMO

14- 560 Central Missouri

15- 567 Lincoln University

16- 607 Rockhurst

17- 622 Moberly Area CC

18- 627 UMSL

19- 641 Missouri Western

20- 663 State Fair CC

With Mizzou having only 1 more game, SLU would at least seem to have a chance of finishing in its rightful place at the top of the Show Me Rankings. Wins over LaSalle tonight within the Walls of the Gola Mausoleum and at home Saturday over the Otterville Bonnies could propel SLU to the Summit, but not the Promised Land. Perhaps the ceremonial plaque, the Apex Pinnacle, can be conveyed to SLU on the Summit of Taum Sauk Mountain.

While SLU is very close to the Show Me Summit, SLU has not turned the corner.