GDT: Davidson vs. Goliath

bonwich

No it is not - he is not the answer so don't be confused by the occasional win. My question is why has it taken Crews so long to figure out who his best guards are?

Hater. It happens in sports.

So you'd fire Miller Huggins? 1923? He didn't play Lou Gehrig. When Wally Pip got hurt, Gehrig got his chance.

2015, Piscotty finally got his chance for the Cardinals this year.

Bishop is a freshman. Hines worked his way up as a walk on. Give me a break.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this because I didn't get to actually watch the game, I'm glad we got the win but Davidson is not sound defensively. That being said, I am more than play trotting this lineup out there if it means points. Defense isn't being played regardless so why not score a little?

Jermaine Bishop 23 points, 8-8 from the line, 6 assists, 6 boards, and one turnover?? Didn't catch the game but have we discovered the next Kwamain???

Possibly.

No it is not - he is not the answer so don't be confused by the occasional win. My question is why has it taken Crews so long to figure out who his best guards are?

Hines showed a lot in the Bahamas and I thought there was some significance in him starting all three games down there. Then, when the season started and he wasn't getting off the bench, I thought maybe they had rewarded him for earning a scholly and letting him play a lot in the exhibition games. Now, it's clear he's the best PG on the team so the hard part is figuring why he was getting no minutes at all when you look at how poor our guard play, with a few exceptions from MR, has been this year.

Not that I want to stop the blue kool-aid from flowing, but i think we should look at this within some aspect of reason. It is still a small sample on some of these guys. Granted, last night was good for this new lineup and Hines did play well. However, I am not ready to proclaim him as the best PG on the roster at least for a couple more games. My apprehension does not stem from an endorsement of MR, rather just the desire to see Hines play more and showcase what he can do. I love the combination of Hines and Bishop, but just don't want to set myself up for disappointment if I claim them as something they are not.

On a related note, I think this recent 3 game stretch has put something into perspective for me. MR on the most part has played well this season. Yet, the offense looks much better with him playing less. This would seem to not make much sense, but I think there is a logical reason for it. Miles' game revolves around his ability to draw fouls and not much else. This is great that he had the attacking mentality, but sometimes the offense could really stall with him on the court. His lack of an outside jumper made perimeter ball reversals less of a true threat to the defense. Now that we have more perimeter shooters on the court, it is paying huge dividends. I like this new lineup even though the defense is not great, and hopefully we can roll with and it continues to be effective.

first got to believe that the A-10 hasnt taken us serious and both wins were sneak ups. my guess is that davidson didnt even think about hines and bishop definitely didnt expect agbeko and youcoubou to also have the best games of their career. the opponents the rest of the season will now prepare differently, so i apologize in advance if i dont see us winning out.

second, let's not lose sight of the fact we still played horrible defense.

third, no bench to speak of. any subs that played really contributed nothing.

i got the feeling from watching gibbs he shoots better than what he did last night. he is a very good player though. when his shot quit falling he took it to the basket and got to the foul line. we should be grateful for the job hines did on him. even though he had 26 he earned every bit of it and i got the feeling his being off and struggling, changed the davidson demeanor. they all got out of their comfort zone and started to try to do too much and i think they lost the game more than we won. dont get me wrong. its been a long time since we took a game over and bravo for that.

the good, GD that was fun.

second, count me in the tired of roby, yarbrough and jolly group. it's no coincidence we are looking extremely better and those three are not playing.

let's see what happens in the blizzard at umass this weekend. hope it keeps going.

In a second season of flickering hope, last night was a godsend breathe of fresh air. Do not lose sight of the fact Gibbs had an off-night. Yes, he had 26 but 2-of-11 from three is terrible for him. I think he was shooting at like a 47% clip from three ---- better than Steph Curry did there his senior year --- meaning if he makes five of those 11 we are tied up and still playing.

What I also like is Crews seems to have retired his "yank tactic." I guess with no real confidence of anyone on the bench, you can now shoot without fear and expect no repercussions. That is good as far as I'm concerned. You can't run forward looking back over your shoulder.

I think the issue can come back to the original story of this season --- where the question was does SLU have no point guards or lots of point guards? The answer is not the second half of that. Roby, Reynolds and Bartley have all seemed to proven themselves point guard projects. None enters the ball into the lane and dishes it out like both Hines and Bishop showed last night. That is the key to point guard play; always has been. Roby is indecisive, Reynolds game requires him to keep the ball, and Bartley seems nothing more than a jump shooter. And if Yarbrough brings the ball down the court any more times this year, then I'd offer its all on him --- no way he needs the rock 90 feet from the goal. If that continues, he's not listening. Right now, Gillmann, Jolly and Neufeld all serve to stifle the offense, not enhance it. For now, this offense gives us the best chance to win.

Why concern yourself with defense right now? Why worry about rebounding? We can seem to do either well so let's move on. Will be interesting to see how this plays out in Amherst Saturday. On the road where we have failed at every turn. Can't wait.

I don't think this is Crews' "system." rather, maybe he's trying to find a system that works with his assets, rather than forcing a round peg into a square hole.

Now, If the team can just average 90 pts/game for the rest of the season, they've got an outside shot at actually playing in the A-10 tournament.

Everyone plays in Brooklyn. Free A-10 Wristbands if you go to the 12 vs.13/11 vs. 14 showcase on Wednesday night.

Maybe JC has finally realized that having players who resemble point guards is VERY important. It was also my frustration with Sodie too. It is the most important position on the floor. RM certainly understood it, as he tried to have multiple guys who could facilitate the offense. After Carter left the program, getting a PG should have been have been the top recruiting priority.

Even if Crews starts to see better play that does not solve the real issue and that is his inability to recruit. I am still in the camp for saying lets cut our ties and if the team starts to play a little better than that simply will make it more enjoyable for us and make us look better to an incoming coach.

Even if Crews starts to see better play that does not solve the real issue and that is his inability to recruit. I am still in the camp for saying lets cut our ties and if the team starts to play a little better than that simply will make it more enjoyable for us and make us look better to an incoming coach.

Barring some crazy run to finish the season, the dude needs to go.

I'm just looking for hope for next year and these guys are providing a little of that at the moment.

What? Only Hines last night wasn't recruited by SLU and we beat a good team.

I like the core 5 last night, Reggie-Ash-Crawford-Hines-Bishop, now see if MY wants to play ball, if he gets with the program, then we have something. Same with Roby. Then all the 5's, one or two muscle up a bit and they can contribute, too.

If this kind of play continues, 5-6 more wins are possible for a good positive season end momentum run, and we have a hand to play next year for a big jump to 18-20 win respectability. Not there yet, but some hope.