A resurrection at Chaifetz Mausoleum

mrjoelabs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this, too. He needs to stop being such a whiny ***** under adversity.

People forgot how much Conklin acted like that at the same age.

And no I'm not saying Jolly will develop into the same caliber player.

Couple thoughts:

1. Milik is completely predictable at this point. Any opposing coaches watching video of us can tell their team that when he puts the ball on the floor out near the free throw line "he's going to try to drive." The other team's players might think "that's crazy, when there are four of us waiting for him under the basket." The coach will reply with "trust me, he's going to drive straight into all four of you, just don't foul him and we'll get the ball."

2. Jolly is not as bad as everyone on this board makes him out. He truly has become the scapegoat. I'm not saying he's good, but he's not that bad. I can foresee a scenario where he actually becomes a very solid contributor in his final two years. Not saying it's going to happen, just that it could. So, let's cut him some slack.

3. I simply cannot cheer for the Billikens to lose. Beating GW was awesome. I needed that game. We all needed that game. We need more of that game regardless of what we think of the coaching situation. I know why some of you are saying that you are hoping for things to pan out certain way, but come on!!! I'm the ultimate optimist in these situations and am telling myself now that if we now know that we can play the way we did last night, that we can play with that level of competition, maybe we can get even better and roll off a run in the A-10 tournament. Probably won't happen, but optimism is the only reason to be a fan.

3. I simply cannot cheer for the Billikens to lose. Beating GW was awesome. I needed that game. We all needed that game. We need more of that game regardless of what we think of the coaching situation. I know why some of you are saying that you are hoping for things to pan out certain way, but come on!!! I'm the ultimate optimist in these situations and am telling myself now that if we now know that we can play the way we did last night, that we can play with that level of competition, maybe we can get even better and roll off a run in the A-10 tournament. Probably won't happen, but optimism is the only reason to be a fan.

Exactly. Root for the team to save everyone's jobs/scholarships. We want the Billikens to improve/win.

For me, I would want Crews gone only if the team continues to be lousy. Still, he needs to bring in and coach up more talent if the program is to become a perennial contender, and it just doesn't seem as likely for him to do that as it was for Coach Majerus (who still needed four* years to get SLU to that level).

*The "Incident" pushed the actual results back a full year.

I just don't get all the Milik hate. First off he brings the ball up for a reason, not just because he wants to, but because we struggle against pressure. Does he force his shot too much? Sure. He's shooting 40% on the year and for a guy that does most of his damage inside, you'd like to see that closer to 50%. However, in the end he averages just under 10ppg and 5 1/2 boards per game in about 23 mpg. He also has very good vision. Improvement needed? of course, but to act like he isn't one of our 5 best players is just wrong. I can see where we are good enough to throw away 10/5.5 per game.

Couple thoughts:

1. Milik is completely predictable at this point. Any opposing coaches watching video of us can tell their team that when he puts the ball on the floor out near the free throw line "he's going to try to drive." The other team's players might think "that's crazy, when there are four of us waiting for his under the basket." The coach will reply with "trust me, he's going to drive straight into all four of you, just don't foul him and we'll get the ball."

2. Jolly is not as bad as everyone on this board makes him out. He truly has become the scapegoat. I'm not saying he's good, but he's not that bad. I can foresee a scenario where he actually becomes a very solid contributor in his final two years. Not saying it's going to happen, just that it could. So, let's cut him some slack.

+1 on all accounts

We're never going to get a rational reaction to Jolly. Never. He's suddenly the hero after last night, but here's his line:

14 JOLLY, Brett........ FG: 1-3 FT: 0-0 3FG: 0-0 OR: 1 DR: 2 TR: 3 PF: 4 TP: 2 A: 2 TO: 0 BL: 0 S: 1 MIN: 16

So he didn't exactly light the world on fire, either. 4 fouls in 16 minutes and just 2 points. But he made a really nice play on that steal and dump-off to Reynolds that led to a beautiful long ball to Ash for the finish, and he did a few other things well. Decent minutes, which is really all we can ask out of him at this point. It's just that he's been the whipping boy for a while now that whenever he's not embarrassing us out there, we want to treat him like the star of the game.

Crews has been running the team pretty hard in practice all year. Coincidence that we have the legs to play defense and knock down shots after he misses a day?

Oops. Per Stu.

10. Crews was able to attend the ceremony held to honor the 1975-76 undefeated Indiana national championship team in Bloomington, Ind., the night before the game. He attended the Billikens' practice Tuesday and then flew in and out of Bloomington that night.

So much for you being at practice Tuesday.

We're never going to get a rational reaction to Jolly. Never. He's suddenly the hero after last night, but here's his line:

14 JOLLY, Brett........ FG: 1-3 FT: 0-0 3FG: 0-0 OR: 1 DR: 2 TR: 3 PF: 4 TP: 2 A: 2 TO: 0 BL: 0 S: 1 MIN: 16

So he didn't exactly light the world on fire, either. 4 fouls in 16 minutes and just 2 points. But he made a really nice play on that steal and dump-off to Reynolds that led to a beautiful long ball to Ash for the finish, and he did a few other things well. Decent minutes, which is really all we can ask out of him at this point. It's just that he's been the whipping boy for a while now that whenever he's not embarrassing us out there, we want to treat him like the star of the game.

His D on Larson isn't in the stat line. He played decent interior defense against the Load.

His D on Larson isn't in the stat line. He played decent interior defense against the Load.

That's true, he wasn't bad on Larsen. Larsen still ended up with 14 and 6, but 5 TO is the key stat there - Jolly had a lot to do with that crucial stat.

Still - he was maybe our 6th-best player last night, or 5th at best. Not really a noteworthy game unless he's been terrible before last night, which is true.

I just don't get all the Milik hate. First off he brings the ball up for a reason, not just because he wants to, but because we struggle against pressure. Does he force his shot too much? Sure. He's shooting 40% on the year and for a guy that does most of his damage inside, you'd like to see that closer to 50%. However, in the end he averages just under 10ppg and 5 1/2 boards per game in about 23 mpg. He also has very good vision. Improvement needed? of course, but to act like he isn't one of our 5 best players is just wrong. I can see where we are good enough to throw away 10/5.5 per game.

Agree. On a per minute basis, he rebounds as much as Agbeko and does almost everything else better. I get being frustrated by the ill-advised drives, but it's weird to see everyone wanting to totally give up on him and give Agbeko 30+ minutes a game.

Exactly. Root for the team to save everyone's jobs/scholarships. We want the Billikens to improve/win.

For me, I would want Crews gone only if the team continues to be lousy. Still, he needs to bring in and coach up more talent if the program is to become a perennial contender, and it just doesn't seem as likely for him to do that as it was for Coach Majerus (who still needed four* years to get SLU to that level).

*The "Incident" pushed the actual results back a full year.

Here is my best scenario for this season: The team, coaching staff and players, turn this thing around and become a team that is very competitive in the A-10. After the season, Coach Crews says to himself "I righted the ship. I can now feel good about stepping away. All of the stuff I went through at the beginning of the season is not what I signed on for. I wanted to be retired anyway when Rick called me several years ago. I'm going to retire now, gracefully, and turn the reigns over to a new coach."

We then are able to get a much better coach to come here than we would have if the team tanked the whole season like some of you are hoping for. Upon retirement, SLU can throw a nice retirement banquet for Coach Crews. We all attend and thank him for stepping up and stepping in when required and for leaving our team in a nice place.

Couple thoughts:

1. Milik is completely predictable at this point. Any opposing coaches watching video of us can tell their team that when he puts the ball on the floor out near the free throw line "he's going to try to drive." The other team's players might think "that's crazy, when there are four of us waiting for him under the basket." The coach will reply with "trust me, he's going to drive straight into all four of you, just don't foul him and we'll get the ball."

Agree.

I actually think the fact that Crews was not at practice the day before helped us eek out the win.

I agree that the defense was much better. I didnt think we were capable of that effort.

Not to start a big thing here...but if we hit a stride here and finish middle of the pack (or better) in the A-10, that would be disasterous for the future of the program.

I've never rooted for losses in my life, except for this season. I think it will take 6-7 wins to have the administration realize that this isnt a "growing pains" scenario.

I am always amazed at the BS that is post here as facts. Jim Crews was at practice and flew out to Indiana after the practice. Where does this crap come from?

I am always amazed at the BS that is post here as facts. Jim Crews was at practice and flew out to Indiana after the practice. Where does this crap come from?

Just wishful thinking. The less Crews is around this team the better,

Could not agree more. If we get to double digit wins there is no way a change is going to occur. I feel bad for the players because I know they are working hard and badly want to win but for the sake of the program I hope we lose out

Except for ash, they are not seniors. Have hope for these guys under a new coach. I want Jim Crews gone more than any of you, he shouldnt even be here this year. Never forget how bad last year was. Im on board with this teetering feeling of being nervous about winning too much, which is absurd on its face, but I hope these boys are ready to roll under a new coach. This was such an exciting game and win and I want to be excited and hopeful about the future too.

It shows how weak the confidence in the administration is when we have these opinions cropping up. Fans at Dayton or Xavier dont have this problem. Last place finishes are instant cans there.