JC Hot Seat

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is rather dumb to say that someone is no longer a fan or less of a fan because they are not a season ticket holder. Am I the only poster on this board that does not have season tickets? How many SLU fans have dedicated as much time to Billiken basketball as I have? I would doubt very many. If someone wants to donate me the money to renew our season tickets, I would certainly be receptive of that offer.

I feel like there was a delay in the negativity and true discussion of the state of the program with the Tatum recruitment and now that he chose Duke those who were slightly guarded on the off chance he committed to SLU and saved the program have no reason to hold back. I am going to hold back until we see how the team looks two months from now, but I don't think anyone has any idea what to expect from this group.

For those who would have fired Crews already, has anyone purchased firejimcrews.com? Didn't someone do that with Sodie?

Went two seasons without season tickets after buying a new house and having a kid. Bought a multi game pack those years. Just got season tickets again for this season, but cheaper than my old tickets.

Things happen in life and you have to adjust your financial priorities. It doesn't make you less of a fan. It just makes you financially prudent.

Milk went off against GW at GW and we lost a close game, then got blown out by Davidson....

Sorry. That's the game Ash had 18 and 10, not Milik. My mistake. I hope that didn't torpedo the whole argument.

Things happen in life and you have to adjust your financial priorities. It doesn't make you less of a fan. It just makes you financially prudent.

And even if it's not that someone needs the money for something else specifically, it's entirely resonable to decide there isn't enough value in it at the moment. Someone can still be a fan and say, "I'd rather have this $1000 than go to these games."

I have no idea how the Rams have managed to still sell season tickets, for example (Box might have an answer for that one).

And even if it's not that someone needs the money for something else specifically, it's entirely resonable to decide there isn't enough value in it at the moment. Someone can still be a fan and say, "I'd rather have this $1000 than go to these games."

I have no idea how the Rams have managed to still sell season tickets, for example (Box might have an answer for that one).

Right, its not like we could not afford to pay the money for the tickets or had to sacrifice something else because we had the tickets, but when you only go to a handful of games and you don't envision that changing, it is difficult to justify continuing to buy season tickets (honestly I doubt I will get season tickets to anything going forward, too big of a time commitment if you actually want to use the tickets).

Shockingly, I heard that the Rams were having huge issues selling season tickets this summer. What a tough sell.

Pistol, I know X has always had a passionate fan base, but has there been a noticeable difference with their move to the Big East with regards to fan support/interest?

A lot of suckers out there. ;)

My sister works for the Rams' ticket office. I told her who to call if she wants an easy sale. "This guy has Rams and SLU season tickets. He's a glutton for punishment."

Pistol, I know X has always had a passionate fan base, but has there been a noticeable difference with their move to the Big East with regards to fan support/interest?

Actually, yes.

Despite the already strong, solid fan base (a serious program that commits to winning every season does that), I'd say it's grown bigger on the fringes and intensified in the core.

People love the Big East. Cincinnati is a lot like St. Louis in that a ton of people go to Catholic high schools, so even if they don't go to XU they tend to pull for them over UC because they'll have known a lot of people who went there and relate to the school a little more. But there are also a ton of local alums, and people in general here tend to pick a side (UC or XU) if they like basketball at all. So there's just a lot of interest in every team that comes to play because they're all very like-minded, like-sized schools with good programs.

Plus, the games are all on FS1. The app sucks (so far) but anywhere with cable or dish is going to have all conference games. The Big East is a strong brand, too. Even though it doesn't have some of the classic programs it grew up with, it's still got a lot of cache with the general public. XU fans are definitely walking taller; they're exactly where they want to be.

Basically, it's everything I thought it could and would be, but I'm seeing it happen for my wife's program and not mine.

My sister works for the Rams' ticket office. I told her who to call if she wants an easy sale. "This guy has Rams and SLU season tickets. He's a glutton for punishment."

In his toast, the best man at my wedding cited that as an example of my undying loyalty. Other people have less kind words to describe my ticket-buying habits.

OK, then, I am a 2.25, closer to a 2 than 3. Sure I am concerned, and though I reek of urine I do not slime the coach or our players on a personal level.

We had an incredibly young team and things went badly last year. No reason to panic and throw hissy fits.

And I went "over" the 15 that the blogger used, it does not mean I expect 15 wins. If the blogger said 13 I would go over. I'm sticking with 18 for now.

MB and Skip.

I am tending to agree with you. First, I did not support or want Jim Crews as our coach and nothing have seen to date has made me excited that he is our head coach. Second, I vowed to nonetheless support our head coach not so much out of loyalty to Jim Crews but for the sake of SLU, the basketball program and the players. Third, I don't believe I fall into either of The Chosen One's two separate camps. Instead, I am just tiring of certain posters who are frustrated at Crews and the status of the program and now are so consumed that they are blaming the wrong people and making false statements while taking personal shots at me in the process. Pistol, grow up, get some thicker skin and stop the personal attacks when anyone challenges you on anything. Fourth, I believe (and have already stated my reasons) that Jim Crews initial blew it. Possibly, and hopefully he has remedied the ship by purging the roster of the bad apples and putting his second good recruiting class together in a row -- something I have only seen be done by RM since I began following the program in the late 1970's. We will know alot sooner than later and certainly at the end of this year. Until then, I would hope that others would support Crews as well or at least give him the benefit of the doubt and let this season play itself out.

As to how some of our better players have done their Freshman year, I put together the following:

points per game

KM 11

WR 7.7

BC 6.1

KC 1.6

MM 10.4

DE 8.5

JJ 7.5

RL 6.7

IV 2.9

KL 11.1

TL 10.3

Drejaj 6.87

Sloan 1.34

Perry 10.1

Baniak 8.67

Tatum 7.23

Hughes 20.9

Heinrich 4.27

Luke Meyer 3.4

Reggie Bryant 16.4 and Jeffers 6.64 were Juniors their first year.

By comparisons, Milik scored 10 ppg, DR scored 6.5, MB scored 4.9 and Ash scored 9.1 in his first or "Junior" year.

Then I guess I am no longer a real fan since I don't have the kind of money to throw at season tickets (donation + tickets in lower level seats along the court) when my wife and I are only able to make it to a handful of games and not realize that is wasting $, yet I still followed every single game last season whether at Chaifetz or not.

When did I ever say this is my team? I just said I didn't renew my tickets when someone said there are posters on this board and other long-time season ticket holders who did not renew after years of going to games. I am one of those posters as is the couple that sat in front of us. I guess they are not fans either now since they also were not able to make many games because they recently retired and are spending considerable time traveling. Trust me, I understand I am a nobody to the athletic department and they don't give a ###### that we didn't renew. The tickets were my only contribution to the school, so I fully acknowledge I have no input in the direction of the school or basketball program.

Did I strike a nerve? I was only responding to the post about support the team or not be a fan. I never said you had to have season tix - all you have to do is one of the above and can still be a fan. I was simply pointing out what a fan does but can still be judgmental of the team.

Do you want to make the donation and cover the cost of our tickets? If so, I will gladly continue to be a season ticket holder and won't feel bad only making it to 5 games again this season since it wouldn't be my money. The decision didn't have much to be with whether we are still fans.

What follows does not apply to people that live far away or in other states for whom attending games and holding season tickets is a burden that must be combined with hotel charges and travel fees for the privilege of attending games. However you live in St. Louis, don't you? This is my answer to you:

No I do not want to make a donation on your behalf to attend the games of what you think is or will be a truly inferior team which you claim to be a fan of. The way to be a fan is to open your own wallet and pay your own fan dues by yourself. Otherwise it is just pretense. What I say is that real fans are willing to pay for the privilege of being a fan of the Bills. So if you claim to be a fan, then put your own money where your mouth is. If you want to claim to be fan and you live in St. Louis, then act a fan would and go to the games. I want to make this very clear, I do not think you live in a state of poverty. But if you do live in poverty, I will gladly apologize, since you may need your money for other purposes like paying your mortgage and feeding yourself. However, I have no reason to think this is the case. I think you are just making a point to shine and attract attention to yourself. A "look at me, look at me" type of thing. I believe you are not a real fan. I believe you are a pretentious fake who wants to do notable things and craves attention. May I suggest trying to get into a reality show in TV? Trump is a case in point, Lord, he is a total idiot, but he is enormously successful in obtaining public attention. Have you ever considered running for president?

What follows does not apply to people that live far away or in other states for whom attending games and holding season tickets is a burden that must be combined with hotel charges and travel fees for the privilege of attending games. However you live in St. Louis, don't you? This is my answer to you:

No I do not want to make a donation on your behalf to attend the games of what you think is or will be a truly inferior team which you claim to be a fan of. The way to be a fan is to open your own wallet and pay your own fan dues by yourself. Otherwise it is just pretense. What I say is that real fans are willing to pay for the privilege of being a fan of the Bills. So if you claim to be a fan, then put your own money where your mouth is. If you want to claim to be fan and you live in St. Louis, then act a fan would and go to the games. I want to make this very clear, I do not think you live in a state of poverty. But if you do live in poverty, I will gladly apologize, since you may need your money for other purposes like paying your mortgage and feeding yourself. However, I have no reason to think this is the case. I think you are just making a point to shine and attract attention to yourself. A "look at me, look at me" type of thing. I believe you are not a real fan. I believe you are a pretentious fake who wants to do notable things and craves attention. May I suggest trying to get into a reality show in TV? Trump is a case in point, Lord, he is a total idiot, but he is enormously successful in obtaining public attention. Have you ever considered running for president?

doesn't this say it all???

Has Pistol actually personally attacked any players or coaches?

He has not.

Actually, guys, yes I have. Brett Jolly was in line at Chipotle (the one in the Saucer building at Forest Park and Grand) and I ran up and tried to tackle him. My sprint was stopped short by a metal queue railing, which delivered a blow to my midsection despite its stationary nature. So while I was unsuccessful in my attempt, I nonetheless carried out a personal attack on a player.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just saw Tanner Bronson sit down at Vito's for a late dinner. He'll never see it coming...

Wow.

Old guy, I usually enjoy your posts of pointing out obvious things but you are way off base here.

Your level of fandom is not based on the amount of money you give. The younger generation has to prioritize their funds, especially when they are already paying SLU $100,000++ plus interest for their education. Add that on top of house, car, insurance, and utilities and it starts piling on quick. Then you factor in kids, daycare, diapers, whatever - it makes it a little difficult to justify dropping a stack on tickets for a team that was terrible last year.

That isn't even mentioning scheduling and conflicts that arise throughout the year and those 16-18 dates.

Being a fan doesn't begin and end with buying season tickets.

Old guy, first I want to say that I have been a season ticket holder and billiken club member since 1989. My priority number ranks in the top 10%. And I admit that for a number of years I shared your blind faith and devotion and expected the same from "true billiken fans".

The last decade I have seen a side that says that blind faith accomplishes little and as a fan I think I owe it to the program to first and most importantly give my opinion. I understand that the likes of Dr chaifetz or Mr novelly have opinions that are going to be heard first. But I also believe if the general fan regardless if he is a 26 year billiken club member or a newly graduated slu alum that only goes to 5 games a year needs to be heard. If those general members aren't heard, how long before we are playing games in front of 1,000 fans? In the same sense if slu doesn't know the little guy has issues how does slu know that they need to re-evaluate their position?

I can tell you all that the likes of brian, pistol, chosen one, taj, myself etc are the definition of the general fan. And the fact you are reading and hearing more and more from the likes of us questioning what is going on should send a strong signal to the athletic department that bears maybe at minimum a closer look and examination of our billikens.

For you to attack chosen for not renewing his tickets is extremely short sighted in my opinion. You have no idea how his family priorities align. I suggest you think back to your days shortly after college and how many balls you were juggling, how close you had to account for your dollars and if you had to make tough choices. I bet because of the level of care and passion that chosen shows for the billikens (albeit negative at this time) chosen will again be a season ticket holder when the day arrives that his priorities align such that he and his wife can go to the games.

What so many of you seem to be missing is the difference in the negativity from the likes of me, taj, chosen, brian, etc exhibit is a view that shows passion and care vs a troll from mi$$ouri that just wants to ridicule and make us seem small. There is a huge difference. We want success. To be better. The troll is happy we are down and takes great joy in seeing it with expectations it will continue. Success, and the troll goes away. Success, and we will champion the effort and be the first to tell the world how grest the billikens are.

We are fans. We care emmencely.

You need a "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

I'll just say that while it's likely that no one on this board is living in a state of poverty, everyone is at different stages of our lives, and life can get expensive.

Some posters here are retired and living on fixed incomes. For some, daycare is a major expense. For others, it's student loans. Some folks are putting their kids through college now. Bonwich has 18 cars and a personal property tax bill equal to the GDP of Tunisia. It's hard to begrudge anyone for forgoing the expense of season tickets. And IIRC, it's not like TCO said he will not be attending games anymore; he just won't be purchasing season tickets. I'd still consider Billiken Rich a fan, and he gave up his season tickets a while back.