Bahamas Tour Coverage

bills07

If you want to play backup guards an exorbitant amount of minutes, one of the small forwards has got to sit.

Crews did not plan this trip, and go on this trip, to not play his Senior and last year's starter -- Ash. Billikenblog has told us there is no injury at issue with Ash -- therefore, it is clear that Ash is in Crews' doghouse.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to find out why Ash got so few minutes in a completely new offense. I'm not a coach, but I would probably make sure my key players got as much time as possible especially considering not one of them showed enough last year that he doesn't need the extra work.

Crews did not plan this trip, and go on this trip, to not play his Senior and last year's starter -- Ash. Billikenblog has told us there is no injury at issue with Ash -- therefore, it is clear that Ash is in Crews' doghouse.

Why not? He barely played Crawford who appears to be our best offensive player at the moment. He also limited Milik's minutes.

I think the true benefit in this trip is the 10 extra days of practice, not the actual games themselves. You guys are putting way too much weight on these games.

The only players to average over 20 minutes on this trip were Reynolds, Roby, Hines and Welmer. You really think that's an indication of how minutes will be distributed this year?

I can't say with 100% certainty that he doesn't have a minor injury but you'd think that would either have been announced or they wouldn't have played him at all. Ash very well could be in the doghouse, but I think it's a combination of things. 3star seems to be on track saying that if you're going to play all those PG's, someone has to sit. Crawford's minutes were limited as well so that position took the hit for playing those guys. But I do think it says something that Ash was the one that got his minutes majorly cut.

I think everything could/will be different in November, but based on what I've heard, one thing I can promise you this year is that if you see the same mistakes as last year, guys will be sitting for a long time.

The only players to average over 20 minutes on this trip were Reynolds, Roby, Hines and Welmer. You really think that's an indication of how minutes will be distributed this year?

Agree. And if that is an indication of how the minutes will be spread, we saw the results.

I can't say with 100% certainty that he doesn't have a minor injury but you'd think that would either have been announced or they wouldn't have played him at all. Ash very well could be in the doghouse, but I think it's a combination of things. 3star seems to be on track saying that if you're going to play all those PG's, someone has to sit. Crawford's minutes were limited as well so that position took the hit for playing those guys. But I do think it says something that Ash was the one that got his minutes majorly cut.

I think everything could/will be different in November, but based on what I've heard, one thing I can promise you this year is that if you see the same mistakes as last year, guys will be sitting for a long time.

Yeah, it means Crews knows what he has with Ash the most and doesn't need to experiment with him the way he does with other players.

I don't think we've learned anything from the breakdown of minutes from this trip, but I will give it a shot for the upcoming season with a ranking...

1) Roby

2) Yarbrough

3) Yacoubou

4) Bartley

5) Crawford

6) Gillman

7) Neufeld

8) Agbeko

9) Reynolds

10) Bishop

11) Welmer

12) Hines

13) Jolly

* The scary thing is that I could come up with about 20 other plausible combinations. We need the top end of the roster to emerge and clearly break away from the pack of role players.

Ash is our 4th best 2/3. He's the most athletic but Roby, Crawford and Milik are all better basketball players. If Crawford's gets more minutes this year and Milik logs more minutes at the 3, Ash is going to get his minutes cut. It's a numbers game.

Anybody that thinks Crews was treating this trip as super important games that should be won at all costs, I suggest you go to the home page of this site and listen to the 1 minute mark of the first video that pops up "MBB Media Aug 1, 2015."

Crews discusses how they are treating the trip differently then a typical road trip and won't be practicing while they are in the Bahamas because they want to have fun. Sure doesn't sound like must win games to me.

Ash is our 4th best 2/3. He's the most athletic but Roby, Crawford and Milik are all better basketball players. If Crawford's gets more minutes this year and Milik logs more minutes at the 3, Ash is going to get his minutes cut. It's a numbers game.

100% agree.

Let's remember that Coach Crews emphasized how valuable the trip would be for freshmen and sophomores. He was focused on underclassmen. Yes, Roby is a rotation player and got a lot of minutes, but he's still just a sophomore. Yacoubou and Crawford are upperclassmen, and Crews may have focused on them less. Still, Crawford produced in his minutes, while Yacoubou floundered in his. But some players respond well to coming off of the bench, while others play better when starting the game. When the games count, Yacoubou will start and be able to get in the flow, and Crawford will get hot off of the bench.

Bartley is a complete wild card to me. He couldn't defend anyone last year and his turnover % was horrendous both in A10 play and out. But he also showed an ability to be a knockdown shooter. He's about 20 practices behind everyone in terms of working on this new offense and if his game is better fit to be less of a PG and more of a 2, it's hard to see where he fits in with Crawford, Yacoubou, and Roby.

Not at all.

I want to believe this, but I am having a hard time finding that true. Yes, Crawford didn't play as many minutes as we might expect, but it was still almost three times what Ash played. I have no idea what is going on, but it is puzzling. Ash averaged less minutes than anybody on the team. Only playing him 6.83 minutes a game is puzzling. He may not have played well when in there the short amount of time he was given, but it's not like everybody else on the team was stellar. Even if you want to see what else you got, I can still find no justification for giving Ash less than 7 minutes a game and the least amount of minutes on the team. I would think something had to be going on.

In regards to Reggie, we knew he was going to play very little. He told me specifically after the first practice that he would play significantly reduced minutes in the Bahamas to allow his foot to completely heal. I, too, wish that Reggie would get better at converting the shots around the basket, but he is also our best rebounder. If you look at everybody's rebounds per 40 minutes played, he was significantly better than anybody else.

100% agree.

I completely disagree. Ash is more than an athlete. He is the best defender on the team and also the best rebounder of any guard other guard than Tommie Liddell in the past 15 years. He doesn't always get credit for his defense, but in many games last year it was discussed by opposing team's play by play guys that he makes his man work for absolutely everything. Yes, he went away at times, but most did last year. I will agree with you that his offense was very frustrating at times, but even then he was second on the team in scoring. His turnovers are also frustrating, but the whole team is a turnover machine.

I will give you this, Ash has severely underperformed from what I expected from him and what I believe he is capable. I think he has the ability to be an all conference player, but he has not even come close to showing it. If he does not finish up this year with an average of 12 points and 5 rebounds, then I will step up and say he has become a complete enigma and perhaps one of the biggest enigmas we have seen in a number of years. There is no way he is the 4th best 2/3 on this team as 3star states.

If you want to play backup guards an exorbitant amount of minutes, one of the small forwards has got to sit.

I don't disagree much beyond Ash, but I do think there is something there (it is the summer though, so it may not matter come November). The game play did not show them just sitting him. It seemed like often he would go into the game commit a TO and then end up back on the bench never to be seen again.

Anybody that thinks Crews was treating this trip as super important games that should be won at all costs, I suggest you go to the home page of this site and listen to the 1 minute mark of the first video that pops up "MBB Media Aug 1, 2015."

Is anyone saying that?

I completely disagree. Ash is more than an athlete. He is the best defender on the team and also the best rebounder of any guard other guard than Tommie Liddell in the past 15 years. He doesn't always get credit for his defense, but in many games last year it was discussed by opposing team's play by play guys that he makes his man work for absolutely everything. Yes, he went away at times, but most did last year. I will agree with you that his offense was very frustrating at times, but even then he was second on the team in scoring. His turnovers are also frustrating, but the whole team is a turnover machine.

I will give you this, Ash has severely underperformed from what I expected from him and what I believe he is capable. I think he has the ability to be an all conference player, but he has not even come close to showing it. If he does not finish up this year with an average of 12 points and 5 rebounds, then I will step up and say he has become a complete enigma and perhaps one of the biggest enigmas we have seen in a number of years. There is no way he is the 4th best 2/3 on this team as 3star states.

We agree on Ash. He'd be starting at the 2 for me if we started today. However, like you I thought we were getting more than what he's shown so far.

I want to believe this, but I am having a hard time finding that true. Yes, Crawford didn't play as many minutes as we might expect, but it was still almost three times what Ash played. I have no idea what is going on, but it is puzzling. Ash averaged less minutes than anybody on the team. Only playing him 6.83 minutes a game is puzzling. He may not have played well when in there the short amount of time he was given, but it's not like everybody else on the team was stellar. Even if you want to see what else you got, I can still find no justification for giving Ash less than 7 minutes a game and the least amount of minutes on the team. I would think something had to be going on.

In regards to Reggie, we knew he was going to play very little. He told me specifically after the first practice that he would play significantly reduced minutes in the Bahamas to allow his foot to completely heal. I, too, wish that Reggie would get better at converting the shots around the basket, but he is also our best rebounder. If you look at everybody's rebounds per 40 minutes played, he was significantly better than anybody else.

I have no inside information at all on this subject but would make the following observations based upon watching every game last year and a number of practices last year and one this year. The staff was extremely frustrated with several of the players who left and was determined this year to make everyone accountable for their play and their mistakes. Obviously, they would be a little more patient with the frosh and the sophs, particularly with a whole new offense being installed. But with a fifth year senior like Ash he will have to prove that he "gets it" in terms of his overall play and his attention to detail and discipline on the offensive end. Just because he is athletic does not mean that he will get to play big minutes. He will have to prove to the team that he can be a positive force and play within the team concept or he will get fewer minutes as the year moves on because he is that fifth year senior. This is just my opinion but it comes from watching Ash many times.