Bahamas Tour Coverage

bills07

I have no inside information at all on this subject but would make the following observations based upon watching every game last year and a number of practices last year and one this year. The staff was extremely frustrated with several of the players who left and was determined this year to make everyone accountable for their play and their mistakes. Obviously, they would be a little more patient with the frosh and the sophs, particularly with a whole new offense being installed. But with a fifth year senior like Ash he will have to prove that he "gets it" in terms of his overall play and his attention to detail and discipline on the offensive end. Just because he is athletic does not mean that he will get to play big minutes. He will have to prove to the team that he can be a positive force and play within the team concept or he will get fewer minutes as the year moves on because he is that fifth year senior. This is just my opinion but it comes from watching Ash many times.

It will sure be interesting, that's for sure.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need the top end of the roster to emerge and clearly break away from the pack of role players.

-stream of consciousness as I have had thoughts along a similar line although my thought is more is there a top end of the roster?

-are we sure the roster isn't full of role players?

-what if the top is all at one or two positions?

-if the emergence doesn't happen does JCrews play 12 again this season?

-is this separation going to happen by the top getting better or the pack not developing or both? or different?

-what is the upside for each of our players?

-I am fascinated by the season to come as I think there are so many questions on all aspects of the program and I hope the fascination is cured as if looking at a spectacular piece of art as opposed to a train wreck

Bartley is a complete wild card to me. He couldn't defend anyone last year and his turnover % was horrendous both in A10 play and out. But he also showed an ability to be a knockdown shooter. He's about 20 practices behind everyone in terms of working on this new offense and if his game is better fit to be less of a PG and more of a 2, it's hard to see where he fits in with Crawford, Yacoubou, and Roby.

It highlights how poorly this roster is presently built.

-I am fascinated by the season to come as I think there are so many questions on all aspects of the program and I hope the fascination is cured as if looking at a spectacular piece of art as opposed to a train wreck

The prediction thread will be really interesting this year (as it was last year). I know I have no idea what to expect.

I don't disagree much beyond Ash, but I do think there is something there (it is the summer though, so it may not matter come November). The game play did not show them just sitting him. It seemed like often he would go into the game commit a TO and then end up back on the bench never to be seen again.

He was just completely out of the flow of the game. The turnover would usually come on his first touch. I'm speculating that there's an issue with Ash that the coaches don't like, ie, not making good decisions or paying attention to detail as Billikenswin says below, and he's in their doghouse. Be really interesting to see how it plays out by November.

I have no inside information at all on this subject but would make the following observations based upon watching every game last year and a number of practices last year and one this year. The staff was extremely frustrated with several of the players who left and was determined this year to make everyone accountable for their play and their mistakes. Obviously, they would be a little more patient with the frosh and the sophs, particularly with a whole new offense being installed. But with a fifth year senior like Ash he will have to prove that he "gets it" in terms of his overall play and his attention to detail and discipline on the offensive end. Just because he is athletic does not mean that he will get to play big minutes. He will have to prove to the team that he can be a positive force and play within the team concept or he will get fewer minutes as the year moves on because he is that fifth year senior. This is just my opinion but it comes from watching Ash many times.

Agree.

I don't disagree much beyond Ash, but I do think there is something there (it is the summer though, so it may not matter come November). The game play did not show them just sitting him. It seemed like often he would go into the game commit a TO and then end up back on the bench never to be seen again.

I wish a reporter would interview Crews and pose some of these questions about the trip. But actually ask some tuff questions not just fluff.

Did Crews forget how bad we were last year? This trip should have been used to get the top 5-7 players on the same page (with one of the backup pgs filling in for Bartlet and wellmer or whoever for Reggie). Figuring out the back end of the rotation of an 11-win team is ridiculous.

Did Crews forget how bad we were last year? This trip should have been used to get the top 5-7 players on the same page (with one of the backup pgs filling in for Bartlet and wellmer or whoever for Reggie). Figuring out the back end of the rotation of an 11-win team is ridiculous.

I agree. Hopefully he at least addressed that somewhat in the 10 extra practices allowed for teams making foreign trips.

Agreed. I think figuring out the back of the rotation doesn't do much when you're not sure the rotation can win games.

Do you want a shorter rotation this year? If so, when should Crews figure out who's in this shorter rotation?

Anybody that thinks Crews was treating this trip as super important games that should be won at all costs, I suggest you go to the home page of this site and listen to the 1 minute mark of the first video that pops up "MBB Media Aug 1, 2015."

Crews discusses how they are treating the trip differently then a typical road trip and won't be practicing while they are in the Bahamas because they want to have fun. Sure doesn't sound like must win games to me.

No one thinks we should have done what is necessary to win at all costs. Had we done that, we could have played guys "out of position" to compensate for the injury to Bartley, Instead, we played a walk-on (Hines) and a true Frosh (Bishop) mostly as well as Reynolds at PG.

IMO, Crews made a very big mistake 2 years ago in believing that McBroom could be his PG and last year in teaching/using McBroom at PG. When this didn't work, we tried others (mostly Freshmen) but did so in the middle of the season. And without a good PG, the team never did gel. Last year, I repeatedly said McBroom should not be PG and that we should take our lumps with Miles and/or Bartley and we would be better at the end of the year. Since then, Crews cut McBroom's minutes and then got rid of him, he seemed to go with Bartley, he brought in Bishop and he is using Hines. I think this is great. Maybe we win all three (3) games with Roby at PG instead of Hines/Reynolds/Bishop. I'd rather take our lumps in the Bahamas with Hines/Bishop/Reynolds if that is the plan.

At the same time, Crews and SLU didn't spend all the time and money to go to the Bahamas with no real purpose, to determine the back end of their roster and to just have fun.

You're right. Believing that Crews used the Bahamas to figure out the back end of the rotation is ridiculous. And just because several repeat this ridiculous notion does not make it true.

You're right. Believing that Crews used the Bahamas to figure out the back end of the rotation is ridiculous. And just because several repeat this ridiculous notion does not make it true.

I don't know what Crews's strategy was in the Bahamas, but I am certain that Ash will likely play 35+ minutes/game this season even though he barely got off the bench in the Bahamas. Clearly Crews was using it as an opportunity to let bench guys get a lot of minutes.

I don't know what Crews's strategy was in the Bahamas, but I am certain that Ash will likely play 35+ minutes/game this season even though he barely got off the bench in the Bahamas. Clearly Crews was using it as an opportunity to let bench guys get a lot of minutes.

The only way that happens is if Roby plays point. And if Ash has developed a counter to the defense taking away the drive. Otherwise there aren't enough minutes to go around.

-I'll take the under

The only way that happens is if Roby plays point. And if Ash has developed a counter to the defense taking away the drive. Otherwise there aren't enough minutes to go around.

Right, if Roby plays point and Bartley (and maybe another guard) is out of the season; are you taking action on that davidnark?

I was watching the highlight videos at the bottom on the homepage of this site and I began to feel about more hopeful. I don't think we will be a dominant team this year by any means, but it was a reminder that this was alway going to be a process. Last season we lost a lot of games by close margins and we let teams get back in the game after being up by a lot. We made freshman mistakes-mistakes that I think having a year under their belt players won't make again (or at least not make as many of these mistakes).

I don't know how much more we expected from the team given that we had lost al 5 of our starters and Crawford, Lancona, and Agbeko had seen very limited minutes, and Grandy was injured the entire season. It was certainly disappointing to see games slip away, and to hope for the best and still see the worst happen, but I think out record reflects the reality of what the expectation should have been all along. We are fans, and always expect more and hope for the best, but some times we have to understand that results do in fact reflect reality.

What is encouraging about this season is that all of the returning players played the majority of the minutes last year. Its not like last year that we had to start from scratch. If we can win 3-5 more games more than we did last year I think we are still on the right track. We will on lose Yacoubou after this season so the trend of having he majority of your minutes returning will continue.

I think the expectations for the following few years should be as follows:

2015-2016- Win 15 games

2016-2017 Win 20 games, decent conference tournament run, ncaa bubble team

2017-2018- Win 25 games, conference tournament contender, ncaa berth and at least 2 tournament wins

I don't know how much more we expected from the team given that we had lost al 5 of our starters and Crawford, Lancona, and Agbeko had seen very limited minutes, and Grandy was injured the entire season.

So, how many games were you predicting us to win last season?

We didn't just lose close games due to freshman mistakes, we were terrible (and we also won close games against SIUC, NC A&T, Bradley, Vermont, St. Joe's, and La Salle). How terrible? 11-21 (that includes the Rockhurst win!) against the 137th toughest schedule, 298th in Pomeroy (317th in AdjO and 186th in AdjD) and 272nd in RPI. Let's at least be real with how bad we were last season.

Do you want a shorter rotation this year? If so, when should Crews figure out who's in this shorter rotation?

The shorter rotation debate has been never ending. I know Willie and I and a number of others on this Board have been screaming for it. I am just not confident anymore that it is going to happen and that is perplexing. Crews has been around long enough to how to cut this rotation down. Is he seeing that much parity between the players? Seeing that we were the worst Billiken team defensively in 20 years last year, I would think he would have to shorten the rotation down by playing the best defensive players at least.