Bahamas Tour Coverage

bills07

Well guys as you say, Crews is responsible for what the team does or does not do. He is aware of that fact. So... We should wait and see if it is more of the same or if it is better at the time when it counts. Until then, whatever Crews does may make sense only to himself, this is fine. He is responsible for the results, period.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think JC is sitting Crawford and Ash because he knows what they can do and needs to see the other players and figure

out where they can contribute when the games really count. Minutes in these games don't really mean a whole lot.

I pay more attention to how the team is doing with the new offense and as a program are we not going to be the

defensive team that we have been in the past? When JC took over, my big concern was SLU losing the reputation

of being a top defensive team Nationally. Yes, I understand we are not there anymore, but it is that mind set

within this staff and do we have the personel to make that happen? The Billikens have always been fine with a

streaky offense because the defense had been top five nationally for a long time. Is that lost forever the longer

that RM and Spoon are in our past?

I think JC is sitting Crawford and Ash because he knows what they can do and needs to see the other players and figure

out where they can contribute when the games really count. Minutes in these games don't really mean a whole lot.

I pay more attention to how the team is doing with the new offense and as a program are we not going to be the

defensive team that we have been in the past? When JC took over, my big concern was SLU losing the reputation

of being a top defensive team Nationally. Yes, I understand we are not there anymore, but it is that mind set

within this staff and do we have the personel to make that happen? The Billikens have always been fine with a

streaky offense because the defense had been top five nationally for a long time. Is that lost forever the longer

I thought that too until you see Roby's minutes. You know what you have out of him too yet he continues to play big minutes.

That being said, I'm still not reading much into the spread of minutes on this trip. It would take a true idiot to play some of these guys those kind of minutes during the season.

If we never spread the minutes like that again, I guess yesterday's game was a learning point.

The games don't matter but I was hoping competitive nature would take over and not let us lose to a team like that. On the buzzer beater, Yarbrough just stood there and let his man have an uncontested tip-in. That shouldn't happen in practice, let alone an exhibition.

Also on the final tip-in...Is there an international rule that says you can only have 3 defensive rebounders on a free throw? Because I was shocked to see us only have 3 guys there on the final free thow.

Just read the FIBA rule on free throws and a team is only allowed three defenders around the lane. I'd noticed that teams in these games were only putting three defenders around the lane but thought it was a choice. I have no idea why FIBA thinks it's important.

Just read the FIBA rule on free throws and a team is only allowed three defenders around the lane. I'd noticed that teams in these games were only putting three defenders around the lane but thought it was a choice. I have no idea why FIBA thinks it's important.

Interesting. I figured it had to be a rule considering the situation but you never know with our free throw rebounding. Thanks for the info.

I find it hard to believe our staff doesn't want to have a great defensive team. A coach can want it all he wants but if he doesn't have the personnel to defend well then you won't defend well. We don't have great footspeed in the post and lack a shotblocker. Those two right there make you vulverable defensively. On the Ash thing, his lack of minutes has to be the most surprising thing about the trip. Almost as surprising is how poorly he's played in the few minutes he's gotten. I might be reading too much into it, but I'm guessing he's going to have to earn his way back onto the court.

AlumniFan: I am full of optimism. I like to stop it short of insanity. I never said you were the one telling Jiminy how to coach. But you support whatever you think he's doing. Good for you. I know its an exhibition. I know it doesn't count. I know there might be very little to take from it. I know winning and the score are immaterial. Having said that, I have no clue wat these two hours of games in Nassau mean but I see no rhyme nor reason in its conduct. I see no defined offense being run. I see no work on out of bounds plays or even attempting a zone defense. I see a walk-on playing over half the time. I see two big white guys replacing last years two big white guys. The only basketball players out there I see are role players Mike Crawford and Davell Roby. Yarbrough sulks and doesn't hustle and is more intent on arguing with the refs and pleading his case with his arms up. One dunk means nothing. Still fancies himself as a three with a four/five man's game. Exterior shooting is nothing outside of Crawford. The highest rated recruit on the team is in another coach's doghouse, so it seems.

Tomorrow doesn't matter either but the baseline will have been set for October. It's going to be a huge climb. Am I optimisitc Crews can get us out of this hole?

No. He put the groceries on the shelf. He is the master chef of all this.

And this is the only revenue-producing sport we have. So the whole program suffers.

+1

-I'm going to TRY to not get too worked up over the results or even the style of play on this trip and put my faith in JCrews and the staff that they have a plan that escapes me

-I'll see what the product is on Nov 4th or whenever we start to see if we look better than last season, a low bar I realize but should be the case with the impact of this trip, and then evaluate if there is progress each month, a measure on which we failed last season

-if there is progress, good for us

-if there is no progress I expect the calls for a change to be very, very loud and then we can speculate if that noise is hitting DuBourg Hall as I think that is where a decision would be made

-the 'get another season' guarantee has said they are not signing a SLU loi

-I'm going to TRY to not get too worked up over the results or even the style of play on this trip and put my faith in JCrews and the staff that they have a plan that escapes me

-I'll see what the product is on Nov 4th or whenever we start to see if we look better than last season, a low bar I realize but should be the case with the impact of this trip, and then evaluate if there is progress each month, a measure on which we failed last season

-if there is progress, good for us

-if there is no progress I expect the calls for a change to be very, very loud and then we can speculate if that noise is hitting DuBourg Hall as I think that is where a decision would be made

-the 'get another season' guarantee has said they are not signing a SLU loi

I agree with this. Let's see where we are on Jan 1. I still believe there is talent on this team.

... I see no defined offense being run. I see no work on out of bounds plays or even attempting a zone defense. I see a walk-on playing over half the time. I see two big white guys replacing last years two big white guys. The only basketball players out there I see are role players Mike Crawford and Davell Roby. Yarbrough sulks and doesn't hustle and is more intent on arguing with the refs and pleading his case with his arms up. One dunk means nothing. Still fancies himself as a three with a four/five man's game. Exterior shooting is nothing outside of Crawford. The highest rated recruit on the team is in another coach's doghouse, so it seems.

I definitely see a triangle type of offense being run. The ball movement has been good and shooters have gotten open for perimeter shots. Last night, we shot threes poorly and the jumpers we made would have been threes in the college game as the international line is fifteen inches further back. Our offense would be helped if our bigs wouldn't fumble the ball away time after time.

We replaced two big white guys with two better white guys so I don't see the argument there. MN and EW are clearly more talented than AG and BJ. Agree that Milik needs to refine his skills but I have to say that a couple of the fouls called on him were very ticky tack.

Right now Crews has to things to worry about - 1. getting the team ready 2. keeping the fan base on board. The question begs - is he doing either? I can assure you that if the team does not play well it won't be long before the fan base abandons Crews and the team. That will get you fired pretty quick - see Brad. I was never a big fan of hiring Crews but I was willing to give him a chance. The problem is he is doing little to sell himself. If he could have had a good showing on the tour then people would be open to him if he comes back 1-2 then he will be in a very bad place with the fans. 2-1 is barely acceptable and 3-0 was somewhat hoped/expected. I hope the team improves this year but that may be my heart talking not my brain.

Right now Crews has to things to worry about - 1. getting the team ready 2. keeping the fan base on board. The question begs - is he doing either? I can assure you that if the team does not play well it won't be long before the fan base abandons Crews and the team. That will get you fired pretty quick - see Brad. I was never a big fan of hiring Crews but I was willing to give him a chance. The problem is he is doing little to sell himself. If he could have had a good showing on the tour then people would be open to him if he comes back 1-2 then he will be in a very bad place with the fans. 2-1 is barely acceptable and 3-0 was somewhat hoped/expected. I hope the team improves this year but that may be my heart talking not my brain.

I suspect 80% of the season ticket base doesn't even know the team is playing in the Bahamas the past few days, much less know the results. Not sure I'm buying that his future job security lies in the hands of his performance during these exhibitions.

Now if we play like this in November and December, its a whole other story.

I suspect 80% of the season ticket base doesn't even know the team is playing in the Bahamas the past few days, much less know the results. Not sure I'm buying that his future job security lies in the hands of his performance during these exhibitions.

Now if we play like this in November and December, its a whole other story.

Yeah. Are the scores even being printed or reported by the Post?

Did someone actually say Ash might have to earn his way back on the floor since he's not playing much in this tourney? Anyone want to gamble that Ash's minutes played will be in the top 5 Jan 1st? I'll give 3-1 odds I say top 5 in minutes played. I'll go 2-1 in the top 3.