Stu's article on Tatum's Decision

In the end, it’s about getting prepared for the next level, and the selection of a program will have a lot to do with the coach.

“We want someone who can coach a player of his caliber,” Justin Tatum said. “Someone who is going to challenge him every day.”

This quote really stood out to me. If you're Crews, how do you convince Tatum that you can do a better job of preparing him for the NBA (helping him take his game to the next level) than Coach K or Calipari?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read it that the coach has to be BETTER at coaching NBA guys than Calipari or Coach K. If that was the case, a Crews team wouldn't be in the running. But of course he's going to want a coach who can do it. I guess Crews can point to a couple guys he had at Evansville 20 years ago...

FDL, think Cook will have SLU in his final 6? You were right on Tatum and I was wrong.

I'll say yes. However, I don't have a ton of insight into Cook's preferences, and to be honest I'm not sure anyone does.

I think there's a good chance he'll wait until next spring to commit somewhere.

I didn't read it that the coach has to be BETTER at coaching NBA guys than Calipari or Coach K. If that was the case, a Crews team wouldn't be in the running. But of course he's going to want a coach who can do it. I guess Crews can point to a couple guys he had at Evansville 20 years ago...

I know there is periodic debate on here about the importance of Calbert, but I think this is a situation where he has to play a strong role as a potential NBA mentor.

I know there is periodic debate on here about the importance of Calbert, but I think this is a situation where he has to play a strong role as a potential NBA mentor.

I agree with Calbert being the big impact for SLU there. Also, I remember the interview with his trainer Drew Hanlen with Frank and he mentioned how all of the coaches in his top 10 would help him and wouldn't hurt him getting to the NBA. Plus Larry Hughes can point to the fact he didn't play for a coach K and made it to the NBA and had a real good career.

I agree with Calbert being the big impact for SLU there. Also, I remember the interview with his trainer Drew Hanlen with Frank and he mentioned how all of the coaches in his top 10 would help him and wouldn't hurt him getting to the NBA. Plus Larry Hughes can point to the fact he didn't play for a coach K and made it to the NBA and had a real good career.

Plus, Penny Hardaway can point out to him that even Larry Finch can help you to become the third pick overall. He will get better coaching at SLU than Penny got at Memphis.

I think the big thing for Tatum and the people around him is they want the offense to flow through him at his college choice.

For a player the caliber of Jayson Tatum I don't think 10 months with any of these coaches will really have much of an impact on his professional career. For lesser talents there is likely much more to be gained from playing for a great coach like Coach K and at an elite program.

Regarding the decision, SLU does not stack up with these other programs and that is obvious (you are talking about the best of the best), but we offer the chance for him to stay home and with his incredible ability it will not negatively impact his draft stock. Why not keep things constant for those 10 months by staying home, continuing to train with Drew Hanlen, win some games for the hometown school, continue Sunday dinner at grandma's house, and enjoy all of the things you have found to love about St. Louis before embarking on a long NBA career in another city.

Cheany was on the IU staff that took a three star HS athlete, Victor Oladipo and turned him into an NBA Lottery Pick. Cody Zeller was the second player the IU staff, with Cheany on board, got to the lottery. Results speak loudly.

At SLU the ball will be in Tatum's hands on every single possession. He will essentially control the game and dictate it to his level of play. Our players will set every play for Tatum and design an offense which revolves around him. At Duke, you can't really say the same because there will be 3-4 other guys who will want the ball just as much.

So what it all really comes down to is whether he wants to play a role for a team with a lot of other good young Mickey D's AA, or have full control of an entire offense with an experienced cast of supporting players.

Plus, Penny Hardaway can point out to him that even Larry Finch can help you to become the third pick overall. He will get better coaching at SLU than Penny got at Memphis.

I think the big thing for Tatum and the people around him is they want the offense to flow through him at his college choice.

To be honest, the quote on saying he wants to control the flow of the offense was the bigger, newer quote from him from that article. I have seen him say before when asked about being in a Kentucky type system that they win and that's important to him. I think this is the first time I have heard him hint at he wants to basically run the show which as other have said, he can do here.

When he has played with Harry Giles and on team USA, does he control the offense? Curious how he plays with the other top kids in his year that he has talked about the package deal with.

At Duke, you can't really say the same because there will be 3-4 other guys who will want the ball just as much.

So what it all really comes down to is whether he wants to play a role for a team with a lot of other good young Mickey D's AA, or have full control of an entire offense with an experienced cast of supporting players.

It worked out pretty well for Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones, and Justice Winslow at Duke. Jayson Tatum is a star and will be a big part of the offense wherever he goes.

This all comes down to whether he wants to go to an elite program or stay home. Lets be honest, that really is the only reason for him to pick SLU.

I don't take a lot from "want to win a title" or "want to get to the NBA". Every player should want that.

SLU doesn't stack up in a lot of ways but we have a unique advantage. Hopefully we get an answer soon and hopefully that answer puts us in a situation to land another top recruit

It worked out pretty well for Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones, and Justice Winslow at Duke. Jayson Tatum is a star and will be a big part of the offense wherever he goes.

This all comes down to whether he wants to go to an elite program or stay home. Lets be honest, that really is the only reason for him to pick SLU.

True, but NCAA Tourney success at Duke didn't exactly turn out so great for Jabari Parker or Austin Rivers. Heck, even Jake Barnett played in more NCAA Tourney games in one year than those guys. :D

THIS JUST IN ...

Former Jennings High standout Courtney Stockard of St Louis, has given a commitment to St. Bonaventure of the Atlantic 10 Conference.

A 6’5″ wing player, Stockard spent the past season at Allen County Community College (KS) where he was one of the top players in the Jayhawk Conference.

As a sophomore, Stockard averaged 23.2 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.7 assists while shooting 48 percent from the field and 75 percent from the free throw line.

Courtney vs Reggie next season in the Reily Center. I am looking forward to the matchup.

THIS JUST IN ...

Former Jennings High standout Courtney Stockard of St Louis, has given a commitment to St. Bonaventure of the Atlantic 10 Conference.

A 6’5″ wing player, Stockard spent the past season at Allen County Community College (KS) where he was one of the top players in the Jayhawk Conference.

As a sophomore, Stockard averaged 23.2 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.7 assists while shooting 48 percent from the field and 75 percent from the free throw line.

Courtney vs Reggie next season in the Reily Center. I am looking forward to the matchup.

Too much trouble to start your own thread instead of hijacking this one?

Too much trouble to start your own thread instead of hijacking this one?

It's also not breaking news; Bizziken posted about it here already: http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26504 - and Torch gave some thoughts on him.

Just put brownindians on your ignore list. His "posts worth reading" rate is 0/123 so far.

THIS JUST IN ...

A 65″ wing player, Stockard spent the past season at Allen County Community College (KS) where he was one of the top players in the Jayhawk Conference.

As we talk about the possibility of landing the #1 recruit in the country, here comes brownindians talking up a guy we didn't even look at...