Stu's article on Tatum's Decision

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/is-slu-a-real-contender-for-jayson-tatum/article_06d2378b-89e4-5e43-a32b-232441f9a993.html

I'm up late and found this had been put up around 1 am.

Jayson sounds like he wants to win a national championship before he heads for the pros. Likely not a factor that would be in our favor.

Ultimately, Tatum has to decide what he wants to get out of a brief college career. From a team standpoint, Justin Tatum said his son would want to reach the NCAA Tournament. But Jayson upped the ante.

“No matter what team you’re playing for, the ultimate goal is to be the last team standing,” he said. “There’s no greater feeling, I would imagine, than winning a national championship in that one year and then hopefully going to the NBA. It’s a goal of mine and of everybody.”

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea saying he wants to win a National Championship is expected and I don't think has any real impact on his decision. Two out of the last 4 years Duke has been eliminated first game of the tournament so it's not like going there and you are guarantee a final 4 trip.

It is good to read how Justin and Larry are clearly pushing for SLU, just have to hope it helps enough. Nothing really new or ground breaking here which I expected but appreciate Stu reaching out to Justin and Jayson for the article.

Do people think Crews would be more of the coach asking where he wants to play and giving him the freedom in the offense or trying to tell him where he sees him fitting as?

I took from this his main factors are what staff and what group of players will help him the most in reaching his goals, a championship run and going high in the draft. Sorry, but we come up lacking in both areas. Would say having CC on the staff is a plus but haven't seen where he's been the main contact with Jayson.

However, when he states he wants the ball in his hand SLU would be his best option. The other 3 schools are all going to have multiple players who feel the same way. Look at Calipari's blog where he intends to reduce his rotation to give all his NBA rookies in waiting more opportunities to showcase their skills. Jayson will be the whole show at SLU. The go to guy if you will.

Yea saying he wants to win a National Championship is expected and I don't think has any real impact on his decision. Two out of the last 4 years Duke has been eliminated first game of the tournament so it's not like going there and you are guarantee a final 4 trip.

It is good to read how Justin and Larry are clearly pushing for SLU, just have to hope it helps enough. Nothing really new or ground breaking here which I expected but appreciate Stu reaching out to Justin and Jayson for the article.

Do people think Crews would be more of the coach asking where he wants to play and giving him the freedom in the offense or trying to tell him where he sees him fitting as?

Agreed. There are pros to cons to all the schools and they have been debated ad nauseam on this board over the last year. Nothing earth shattering in the article but for the 99.99% of St. Louisans that don't read billikens.com regularly they will view it as pretty interesting.

If I were coach Crews, I would tell Jayson where I see him fitting in as: as a player who will fit in as his talent, his chemistry with experienced teammates, and the opposition's openings or weaknesses dictate.

Of course, in Jayson's case, it most likely means he will be the star player from point forward and the offense will flow through him at crunch time.

Agree with what's been said. Nothing new here for us, but it helps for the casual St. Louis sports fan to read all the local connections for SLU. I think a lot of people think SLU is just in his final four as a courtesy to the school.

The pros and cons and recruiting approaches have been discussed on this board for years. I hope he makes a decision soon. If he commits, it'd be great to have that as part of our recruiting pitch to other players throughout the summer and if he doesn't, it'd be nice to put all our efforts into going after some of the other talented guys in his class.

"Tatum is watching to see where other players choose to go but also believes that once he picks a school he can help with recruiting."

I've already stated I don't think Tyler Cook will include SLU in his final 6, but if he does, you know I'm going to read way too much into it.

"Tatum is watching to see where other players choose to go but also believes that once he picks a school he can help with recruiting."

I've already stated I don't think Tyler Cook will include SLU in his final 6, but if he does, you know I'm going to read way too much into it.

That quote is the one I found most interesting. I think it says something about our chances with him. He really isn't needed to help with recruiting at the other schools on his list. There is one schoool on his list that his announcement would really help with recruiting.

That quote is the one I found most interesting. I think it says something about are chances with him. He really isn't needed to help with recruiting at the other schools on his list. There is one schoool on his list that his announcement would really help with recruiting.

He could be referring to a package deal with Harry Giles with that quote.

I guess it could be, but f it was a package deal why would he then need to help recruit him?

If Tatum decides he wants to go to Duke and Giles is still undecided, he calls him up and tells him how wonderful it would be to play together similar to Jones and Okafor this past season.

Or, it could be as you originally read it that he can convince other local players to come to SLU.

That quote is the one I found most interesting. I think it says something about are chances with him. He really isn't needed to help with recruiting at the other schools on his list. There is one schoool on his list that his announcement would really help with recruiting.

If that's part of his plan, Jayson needs to commit sooner rather than later. The athletic, skilled frontcourt player SLU needs to make a Final Four run isn't going to be around forever. We need Jayson to be in the ear of Tyler Cook, Aric Holman and Eric Curry. A superstar's work is never done.

If that's part of his plan, Jayson needs to commit sooner rather than later. The athletic, skilled frontcourt player SLU needs to make a Final Four run aren't going to be around forever. We need Jayson to be in the ear of Tyler Cook, Aric Holman and Eric Curry. A superstar's work is never done.

Well if there is one quote I know I have read Jayson say a couple times since his final four is he wants to commit "sooner rather than later".

I do think that helps SLU because we would need the help with recruiting. Him and Harry could wait until next spring if they wanted to and decide where to go together if they want to play together to see who else will be on the team. Jayson can't look at Duke or Kentucky's roster next year and know who he would be playing with.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/is-slu-a-real-contender-for-jayson-tatum/article_06d2378b-89e4-5e43-a32b-232441f9a993.html

I'm up late and found this had been put up around 1 am.

Jayson sounds like he wants to win a national championship before he heads for the pros. Likely not a factor that would be in our favor.

Ultimately, Tatum has to decide what he wants to get out of a brief college career. From a team standpoint, Justin Tatum said his son would want to reach the NCAA Tournament. But Jayson upped the ante.

“No matter what team you’re playing for, the ultimate goal is to be the last team standing,” he said. “There’s no greater feeling, I would imagine, than winning a national championship in that one year and then hopefully going to the NBA. It’s a goal of mine and of everybody.”

If Gordon Hayward can lead Butler to within one basket of winning a national championship, why couldn't Tatum do it here? Wichita State and VCU make the Final Four... why not SLU? Our current supporting cast matures, Tatum attracts another nice recruit after he commits... who knows. What would be a greater legacy, being a part of a blue-blood making a Final Four or leading SLU to it?

+1