Stu's article on Tatum's Decision

When I read the article I was a bit confused. He says a lot of things that are contradictory but I guess that is what 17 year olds do - they get all jazzed up about things and start saying and doing things that do not make any sense. I do agree with those who say that if he chooses SLU it will be because he wants to stay home for whatever reason(s).

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know who the last NBA MVP was who won a National Championship? A little misleading because of guys who could go straight to the NBA but I feel like it's been a while.

hsmith is right on Jordan.

There is really only a handful that come to mind on that. Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Walton, Russell, ???

Rose was VERY close to the natl title

Not really. The official ncaa record book shows memphis did not win a game that year.

When I read the article I was a bit confused. He says a lot of things that are contradictory but I guess that is what 17 year olds do - they get all jazzed up about things and start saying and doing things that do not make any sense. I do agree with those who say that if he chooses SLU it will be because he wants to stay home for whatever reason(s).

Can you point me to the exact quotes that you think are contradictory?

I want to win a National Championship but I am still interested in SLU. You can interpret what he says how you want I will do it how I see it.

Tatum (with another future NBA player, not necessarily a one and done) can win a national championship at nearly any mid major and above school. SLU will have enough talent around him to do so if he chooses to come here, and brings along another high level player. He doesn't have to go to Duke, UNC, or UK to do that. He doesn't have to go to SLU either. Tatum would have Carbondale level program competing for a final 4. He's that good.

I want to win a National Championship but I am still interested in SLU. You can interpret what he says how you want I will do it how I see it.

I see what you mean. That really is "a lot of things that are contradictory".

Torch said it best in the post above mine

Tatum (with another future NBA player, not necessarily a one and done) can win a national championship at nearly any mid major and above school. SLU will have enough talent around him to do so if he chooses to come here, and brings along another high level player. He doesn't have to go to Duke, UNC, or UK to do that. He doesn't have to go to SLU either. Tatum would have Carbondale level program competing for a final 4. He's that good.

And I will say again that Gordon Hayward came within one basket of winning it all at Butler... Butler! And then they made the finals again without him. It won't be easy, but if it can happen at Butler, it CAN happen at SLU if Tatum is really that good.

Completely agree. The tournament is a crapshoot for any team with any amount of talent. The difference between Duke and some one and done guys and SLU with a good supporting cast could be totally negated by the layout of the bracket.

If he were a 4 year player, I'd say over the long haul the odds probably go way in Duke's favor. But as a one year player, I am not sure there would be a tremendous amount of difference in his national championship odds between Duke or SLU for a player of his talent.

Looking at the situations that all the contenders will be in Tatum's freshman year, I truly believe that SLU gives him the greatest chance to make a run in the NCAA tournament. At SLU, either in the A-10 or Big East, he will be the star of the conference from day one. When he steps on campus, he will be joining a roster that features an upperclassmen core that knows how to play together. Yes, this year they took their lumps and need to improve, but expected growth and chemistry among this unit is something that the other schools cannot match because of their revolving door of one and dones. There is a lot to be said for experience in the NCAA and that is something that SLU can provide to FBJT right from the start. While I know that none of this is new information to those of us on this board, I just can't sit here and think that the benefits of the Blue Bloods outweigh what we can provide. I think sometimes people focus too much on the fact that he is drawn to home as the only reason why he may pick SLU. Yes it is a huge part of the equation, but I think the fact that he will be able to step into an experienced team would pay dividends for our recruiting pitch as well.

Looking at the situations that all the contenders will be in Tatum's freshman year, I truly believe that SLU gives him the greatest chance to make a run in the NCAA tournament. At SLU, either in the A-10 or Big East, he will be the star of the conference from day one. When he steps on campus, he will be joining a roster that features an upperclassmen core that knows how to play together. Yes, this year they took their lumps and need to improve, but expected growth and chemistry among this unit is something that the other schools cannot match because of their revolving door of one and dones. There is a lot to be said for experience in the NCAA and that is something that SLU can provide to FBJT right from the start. While I know that none of this is new information to those of us on this board, I just can't sit here and think that the benefits of the Blue Bloods outweigh what we can provide. I think sometimes people focus too much on the fact that he is drawn to home as the only reason why he may pick SLU. Yes it is a huge part of the equation, but I think the fact that he will be able to step into an experienced team would pay dividends for our recruiting pitch as well.

Whoa. I'll have what you're having.

A lot would depend on what kind of regular season the kids have. You either want a low seed (11/12) and benefit from a high seed being upset in the 2nd round of an opposing bracket or earn a top 4 seed yourself.

Earning a top seed out of our conference would require us to dominate the conference. Tatum alone isn't enough to accomplish that in the A10. We need Curry, Holman or some other complementary frontcourt player to help shoulder the load.

Whoa. I'll have what you're having.

I understand how I come off as overly optimistic on this topic but our current players are two years away from where they will be. Therefore it is hard to picture the cast surrounding FBJT when he gets here. This is a good thing. College weight training and experience will do good things for this group. Perhaps it is a bit much saying SLU has the best NCAA chances, but if we are going to dream why shouldn't we dream big?

Being a good seed in the tourney would not be an issue. We would load up our non conference schedule (already scheduled to play Wichita St that year) and literally trounce every team in the A10. It would not even be close. I could see us going undefeated in A10 play with Tatum on the team.

Also, that argument above doesn't make any sense. How did Wichita St get a 1 seed playing in the MO valley?