slufan13's message to the team

There's not a single player coach or manager that gives a ###### what I have to say but all I want to say is just go out there and have some fun these last couple games. Who cares about winning at this point. I've been overly harsh and critical this season and the players have enough to deal with than to read me and others criticize their every action. Follow the team leaders and go out and have fun as a team. Who knows? Maybe we'll string together some wins in Brooklyn.

I'll be just as big of a fan next year and the years after that. I always want to be good but watching this team looking so depressed sucks more than losing.

-slufan13

Well said. I've done my fair share of grumbling too. But it will take much more than a disastrous season to stop me from loving my Billikens. Bills fan for life.

+1

Said this in another thread but it probably fits here too. Just want to see the guys have some fun to finish.

I actually agree with AlumniFan now for the most part. I don't agree with his support of Crews although I think Crews is getting too much blame. Coaches always get too much credit when things are going well and too much blame when they aren't.

The players shouldn't be immune to criticism, but the guys honestly just look depressed. I finally agree with Crews' whole thing about how the players need encouragement and not critics. I don't know why the players read this board, but losing sucks enough as it is. To then have to read all of us just rip on them over and over has to really suck.

The body language sucks for the team right now. They have 2 pretty clear leaders in place with Roby and Crawford, but losing takes its toll no matter who's leading the way. It's just hard to watch.

Got there almost 2 hours early yesterday and Crawford was the only one out there for about 30 minutes. Just putting up shot after shot. It's great to see the dedication even when things are going rough and I know guys have a routine for when they start warming up, but the guy just looked lonely out there.

Erwin Claggett @CoachClagg13Follow

My SLU Career 91-92 5 wins 92-93 12 wins 93-94 23 wins nationally ranked 94-95 23 wins nationally ranked Trust the process Bills Fans

9:44 PM - 28 Feb 2015

He left out the fact that the coach got fired and a veteran high quality point guard transfered in before the team jumped to 23 wins. Is that the process he is endorsing?

Why would players read this board? Nothing good can come of it. We're mostly a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacks taking a break from work or the family to post. They are better athletes and have achieved far more athletically than any of us ever dreamed about. The one thing we have in common is we love watching the Bills play and want them to do well. That doesn't mean we know anything. Who cares what we think?

There are some players who follow this board religiously. There always has been.

Sadly true.

They are not making the big bucks and don't deserve some of the crap they get on. This is especially true when it comes to some of the personal shots that get directed at them.

Why would players read this board? Nothing good can come of it. We're mostly a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacks taking a break from work or the family to post. They are better athletes and have achieved far more athletically than any of us ever dreamed about. The one thing we have in common is we love watching the Bills play and want them to do well. That doesn't mean we know anything. Who cares what we think?

Quite frankly, I'd prefer it if the coaching staff read this Board. What do we know? We know a lot.

Am I a college coach? No. But I am a long time follower of the program, and I dare say I know more than Average Joe or Jane on the street. I've closely followed SLU Hoops since 1978, and watched SLU Hoops on TV before that, going back to the early 1970's.

If the players the Coach has recruited cannot run the offense installed and cannot play the defense selected, then at bare minimum, the Coach needs to make changes, in-season changes, in the systems. Running the same systems at both ends has led to the noncompetitive performances of the last 2 home games, against George Mason and St. Bona, one a bad team, the other an average at best team playing without a point guard.

I don't buy this Zone Defense if forbidden forever argument because SLU has not practiced it. What is this talk, including from the Coach, that SLU's defense was good last night? What I saw way too much was Bona getting the ball into the paint, either scoring or getting fouled (per the interpretation of the game by the A10 refs). Yes, the defense was better than against George Mason, but that Mason game had to have been the bottom of Rock Bottom. It cannot get worse than George Mason 78 @SLU 50.

The SLU Offense more and more reminds of the Stanford Band- organized confusion, except the Stanford Band members actually know where they are going. It only looks like they don't know.

He left out the fact that the coach got fired and a veteran high quality point guard transfered in before the team jumped to 23 wins. Is that the process he is endorsing?

He's referencing the inevitable arrival of JT and TC in 2016 and the resurrection of RM to lead us to a national title.

Some people yearn for constructive criticism and grow better because of it. The haters are their motivators. Here's to hoping they read the board and appreciate our input while also taking it with a grain of salt.

I really do not know what to tell this team - you can say all the cliches like keep your head up, wait until next year, keep working hard but none of these help the situation in anyway that counts. If the problem is coaching or players who are not listening to the coaches or a combination of both - it really does not matter because as the Big Tuna said - you are what your record says you are. Now how does this improve - everybody - players and coaches have to look into the mirror and say that they will do what is necessary to make this team better. Coaches have to coach better, recruit better, and make tough decisions about players and the future. Players have to listen to the coaches and work hard in the off season on what the coaches tell them they need to do. Will this happen - I can only hope so. By the way, it is easy for the younger folks on this board to keep their heads up about the team but for those of us who have been following this team decades it becomes a bit harder. After seeing us rise with Polk as the coach but then crash, rise with Grawer and then crash, rise with Spoon and then crash, rise with RM and then crash - you can only take so much.

He's referencing the inevitable arrival of JT and TC in 2016 and the resurrection of RM to lead us to a national title.

Some people yearn for constructive criticism and grow better because of it. The haters are their motivators. Here's to hoping they read the board and appreciate our input while also taking it with a grain of salt.

Thats the key word in that statement - not much constructive criticism occurring here.

How many layups can a team miss in one game? Is it possible that a year of weight lifting will result in those being made in the next 3 years.

How many rebounds can you get your hands on, and lose? Is it possible that a year of weight lifting will result in those not being lost in the next 3 years.

Is this group of frosh enough, absolutely not. We need a PG that keep in front of the other team's pg and stop them from killing us with dribble penetration. Do we need a rebounder that can defend the paint and chip 6-10 garbage points a game? Yes., hopefully it's Neufeld or Jolly, but who knows.

Last night the boys fought, (not like the GM game, where there was no real fight). They got out muscled by a mainly junior/senior team.

We need a couple of players and we need to get stronger, physically and emotionally.

Let's hope its a great summer for the team.