Dr. Chaifetz one of 7 bidders for the Atlanta Hawks

ARon

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While the Hawks do have long standing attendance problems, there is little reason to believe the good doctor would bring the team here. The arena in Atlanta is slightly newer than Scottrade and under the control of the team. A NBA team here would probably be a tenant of Mr. Stillman and the Blues.

Unless perhaps the Blues own financial difficulties led them to sell the arena to a co-tenant.

But highly unlikely regardless.

I don't see how this would impact the program. Only thing I could think is that more fans would go to a pro game than a college game if the bills aren't doing to well, assuming the franchise comes to STL.

More NBA connections can't hurt the program.

It would hurt the program if Chaifetz backs of his existing commitment to SLU or lowers his future commitments. I kind of liked the idea of him viewing slu as his primary program of interest and providing the financial resources to make good things happen.

As stated in the article, he is one of many suitors and I don't think relocation of the team is in play here.

When you have the kind of money required to donate the arena to SLU, you are certain to look for other outlets for said money, be it in yachts, real estate, other forms of philantropy, or in a professional sports team. Dr. Chaifetz appears to have too much money to limit his interests solely to SLU. This does not mean he will stop being a big supporter of SLU basketball, however he will likely branch out into other venues, whether the Hawks or something else.

An NBA team will demand a venue larger than Chaifetz and one equipped with luxury boxes and the ability to sell advertising to make more money. So it will be Scotttrade long before it is Chaifetz.

If I recall, Chaifetz gave the school like $12 million for the arena. And the arena tabbed out at $80 million. Am I correct in those figures? I don't recall if that was seed money or the final boost that put us over the construction hump. I'm leaning towards the final end. In many Universitas magazines, his name is near the top of folks contributing millions almost every year to the schoolin general. So he's big money clout. He deserves his courtside seat and he does curry influence with the powers that be but I don't reall yknow if he's that into the nooksand cranniesofthe entire program.

Chaifetz gets the Hawks and I think his current attention is placed elsewhere.

An NBA team will demand a venue larger than Chaifetz and one equipped with luxury boxes and the ability to sell advertising to make more money. So it will be Scotttrade long before it is Chaifetz.

If I recall, Chaifetz gave the school like $12 million for the arena. And the arena tabbed out at $80 million. Am I correct in those figures? I don't recall if that was seed money or the final boost that put us over the construction hump. I'm leaning towards the final end. In many Universitas magazines, his name is near the top of folks contributing millions almost every year to the schoolin general. So he's big money clout. He deserves his courtside seat and he does curry influence with the powers that be but I don't reall yknow if he's that into the nooksand cranniesofthe entire program.

+1

Did anyone suggest moving an NBA team into Chaifetz Arena? I'm confused.

He was instrumental in bringing Majerus here, I know that for first hand fact. Himself and Dickie Victory are still in cahoots on this NBA deal. I doubt he gets this one, but there will be more. Maybe he can team up with KG and buy into the TWolves when they go on the market.

Did anyone suggest moving an NBA team into Chaifetz Arena? I'm confused.

He was instrumental in bringing Majerus here, I know that for first hand fact. Himself and Dickie Victory are still in cahoots on this NBA deal. I doubt he gets this one, but there will be more. Maybe he can team up with KG and buy into the TWolves when they go on the market.

HoosierPal, post #9.

KG and Dr. Fetz would make a damn good franchise in the area.

I don't see this potential acquisition would make any impact on the program, because I doubt Dr. Chaifetz plays a big role in any decisions the program makes. It would be nothing but advantageous because of the new connections it would make for the University.

Backhand, you are such a boner. I don't think I have ever seen you contribute something worthwhile to the conservation.

HoosierPal, post #9.

KG and Dr. Fetz would make a damn good franchise in the area.

I don't see this potential acquisition would make any impact on the program, because I doubt Dr. Chaifetz plays a big role in any decisions the program makes. It would be nothing but advantageous because of the new connections it would make for the University.

Backhand, you are such a boner. I don't think I have ever seen you contribute something worthwhile to the conservation.

You're suggesting a group spends 1 billion dollars to own a team in Atlanta with a plan to move them to St. Louis? You must be drunk. It's St Louis....even our football team is leaving.

When you have the kind of money required to donate the arena to SLU, you are certain to look for other outlets for said money, be it in yachts, real estate, other forms of philantropy, or in a professional sports team. Dr. Chaifetz appears to have too much money to limit his interests solely to SLU. This does not mean he will stop being a big supporter of SLU basketball, however he will likely branch out into other venues, whether the Hawks or something else.

He did not donate the arena - he gave about 14 million for the naming rights - the arena cost something like 80 million.

Backhand St. Louis is a real city. Atlanta is bigger and has more to offer but St. Louis is a real city.

Atlanta is SEC country (for football) and that is all they seem interested in sports wise. For professional sports, you have to win to get a crowd. Also, since a lot of Atlanta's population are originally from somewhere else, its not uncommon to go to a Braves/Falcons game when they play a team from Northeast or Midwest and have large part of the fans pull for the opponents. We already lost the Hockey Flames and this would be the best time to sell the Hawks because of the season they having now. One thing Atlanta is good for is building sports arenas and stadiums when the old facilities are perfectly good.

Backhand St. Louis is a real city. Atlanta is bigger and has more to offer but St. Louis is a real city.

It's definitely bigger. More to offer? All in the eye of the beholder, I guess, but Atlanta is tied with Houston as my least favorite major metro area to visit. Suburban sprawl and political/racial turmoil even worse than St. Louis', without any of the historic neighborhoods and architecture. It's a downright ugly city.

I don't think the NBA is married to Atlanta at all. Unlike the other major leagues, their priority has never been to keep teams in the biggest markets, especially when a team like the Hawks has trouble drawing and an arena that is far from brand new. St. Louis is a far bigger, more economically vital area than many cities with existing NBA teams. That said, I think Seattle will have first crack at any relocation, and the arena situation in St. Louis is no better than Atlanta's. But if St. Louis is left empty-handed after the NFL dust settles, then maybe Kiel will get renovated or expanded and an NBA team will eventually come here. Maybe that's even in the back of Chaifetz' mind.

Atlanta is SEC country (for football) and that is all they seem interested in sports wise. For professional sports, you have to win to get a crowd. Also, since a lot of Atlanta's population are originally from somewhere else, its not uncommon to go to a Braves/Falcons game when they play a team from Northeast or Midwest and have large part of the fans pull for the opponents. We already lost the Hockey Flames and this would be the best time to sell the Hawk because of the season they having now. One thing Atlanta is good for is building sports arenas and stadiums when the old facilities are perfectly good.

The Hawks owner sure seemed to be perfectly happy for someone who is being "forced" to sell his team. The perceived value of NBA teams seems so high ever since that senile bigot in LA got $2 billion for his Clippers franchise. Especially since the franchise had been a joke for most of the last 30 years. I can't help but wonder if some of these owners want out now before the TV money bubble bursts. Fairly certain that is the cash with the Russian looking to sell the Nets so soon after he bought it.

I can't see the idea of moving a team from Atlanta to STL making business sense. Now MAYBE if the Rams leave and free up some discretionary dollars here AND the Atlanta area were to support the Hawks even less. But that's a pretty big IF.

You're suggesting a group spends 1 billion dollars to own a team in Atlanta with a plan to move them to St. Louis? You must be drunk. It's St Louis....even our football team is leaving.

No, just suggesting that you're a tool. I do think a team in Saint Louis would be wildly successful, and I would be a proud season ticket holder. It's Saint Louis, one of the most historically prominent cities in the nation and you mention our football team leaving - more room and attention for an NBA franchise.

It's 10 AM... I wish I was drunk.

It's definitely bigger. More to offer? All in the eye of the beholder, I guess, but Atlanta is tied with Houston as my least favorite major metro area to visit. Suburban sprawl and political/racial turmoil even worse than St. Louis', without any of the historic neighborhoods and architecture. It's a downright ugly city.

I don't think the NBA is married to Atlanta at all. Unlike the other major leagues, their priority has never been to keep teams in the biggest markets, especially when a team like the Hawks has trouble drawing and an arena that is far from brand new. St. Louis is a far bigger, more economically vital area than many cities with existing NBA teams. That said, I think Seattle will have first crack at any relocation, and the arena situation in St. Louis is no better than Atlanta's. But if St. Louis is left empty-handed after the NFL dust settles, then maybe Kiel will get renovated or expanded and an NBA team will eventually come here. Maybe that's even in the back of Chaifetz' mind.

Buy now, build off of this year's success, relocate in two/three years when the Rams leave.

Saint Louis Hawks, first season back in the area, drafts Jayson Tatum, wins NBA championship.