Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

48 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I don't think even Bishop thinks he is in rotation next year or after that. I really don't see bishop needing to be on the team. You are also missing Johnson who could develop and be a great bench player, he would play more than Roby since his spot isnt in contention compared to Johnson being 6'7. 

Good point. I do think Johnson has a future as an energy player off the bench at the 4. And I'm in the camp that thinks Bishop can bring something to the table as a guy who isn't the first option on offense. He has real skills. Also think Moore could develop into a sniper, but these three are at the end of the bench for the foreseeable future. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Top players wont see Zeke leaving as running off local players in my opinion. Zeke had no good offers and was Crews' only recruit for this year if Ford didn't get Johnson. And with Bishop, I see him as a player who scored well on a bad bad team, it won't translate to next years team. We have completely out recruited every player on our team, Zeke would take up a scholarship for another 3 years. Not one player from the Crews era were ranked or top 250 consensus. Zeke will continue to become more of a bench player while we out-recruit him even more. If zeke is a top player our senior year or even starter, we have lost everyone Ford has recruited. Again with Bishop, find another school with as bad a team as us, find their top scorer, and you will see similar or better stats to Bishop. Does that mean you want that player?

I don't understand the rush to push Bishop out. Being surrounded with ineffective teammates doesn't help either. He comes back next year as a redshirt sophomore, I'd like to see what he can do with a better supporting cast. There are a few guys I would rather see leave before we get to Bishop.

8 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Zeke could be the starting PG over Hines, but there is something Ford obviously sees. Why is a walk-on starting over him when he played PG in highschool 

Tell Ford to go ahead and take the Missouri job.  We have GloriaDays2013 and Soderballs to run this team.  Who needs a highly paid coach with years of experience.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I don't understand the rush to push Bishop out. Being surrounded with ineffective teammates doesn't help either. He comes back next year as a redshirt sophomore, I'd like to see what he can do with a better supporting cast. There are a few guys I would rather see leave before we get to Bishop.

BOOM + + +

Highest season scoring average of any vet on next year's team.

Most experienced point guard on next year's team.

Yeah, let's toss him under the bus.

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Tell Ford to go ahead and take the Missouri job.  We have GloriaDays2013 and Soderballs to run this team.  Who needs a highly paid coach with years of experience.

I have no idea what you mean, I am saying that Ford sees something and it isn't Zeke. He could be playing him as PG and he isn't. So I am trusting what Ford is doing and it looks to have Zeke not in the future picture. 

29 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Zeke could be the starting PG over Hines, but there is something Ford obviously sees. Why is a walk-on starting over him when he played PG in highschool 

Every guard at this level played PG in high school unless they played on a very talented team like Roby did in HS. I think Zeke is highly regarded as far as other STL prep players see him, that's the vibe i get from tweets between them

do you understand what qualities PGs have versus other guards? I don't think you do

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Top players wont see Zeke leaving as running off local players in my opinion. Zeke had no good offers and was Crews' only recruit for this year if Ford didn't get Johnson. And with Bishop, I see him as a player who scored well on a bad bad team, it won't translate to next years team. We have completely out recruited every player on our team, Zeke would take up a scholarship for another 3 years. Not one player from the Crews era were ranked or top 250 consensus. Zeke will continue to become more of a bench player while we out-recruit him even more. If zeke is a top player our senior year or even starter, we have lost everyone Ford has recruited. Again with Bishop, find another school with as bad a team as us, find their top scorer, and you will see similar or better stats to Bishop. Does that mean you want that player?

You clearly don't understand how things work. Not only is Zeke well liked by other area players, as Littlebill mentioned, but his Dad is fairly well connected among area coaches. Running Zeke off would be a very shortsighted decision, and it's not going to happen.

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

It was only a matter of time for him to get more big offers.  I've seen people mention Davis at Chaminade, but Hellems is their best player.  I saw him at the Highland shootout the last two years and against Althoff last week.  The kid is talented, his 47 point game just made more teams notice.

I don't know where you guys are coming from already giving Bishop a redshirt year.  Last I checked, you had to declare being a redshirt before the season started.  School transfers are required to sit out one year except for those under the graduate transfer rule where they play three and graduate and then move on to finish your fourht year of eligibility.  Just because the guy is in a boot means nothing.  EC Mathews blew his ACL out in the first quarter of the first game last year andI don't believe he got a redshirt year, or did he?  I really don't know.  When Keith Carter transferred, his three games as a Billiken counted for a whole semester necessitating his sitting out that first semester at Valpo. In contrast Bishop played nine games this year. Maybe you can apply for a medical redshirt but last I checked,the NCAA was pretty strict and stingy in handing those out.  

Bishop is not the same as the other four, and Graves is not the same as the other three.  Did I miss something?

30 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I don't know where you guys are coming from already giving Bishop a redshirt year.  Last I checked, you had to declare being a redshirt before the season started.  School transfers are required to sit out one year except for those under the graduate transfer rule where they play three and graduate and then move on to finish your fourht year of eligibility.  Just because the guy is in a boot means nothing.  EC Mathews blew his ACL out in the first quarter of the first game last year andI don't believe he got a redshirt year, or did he?  I really don't know.  When Keith Carter transferred, his three games as a Billiken counted for a whole semester necessitating his sitting out that first semester at Valpo. In contrast Bishop played nine games this year. Maybe you can apply for a medical redshirt but last I checked,the NCAA was pretty strict and stingy in handing those out.  

Bishop is not the same as the other four, and Graves is not the same as the other three.  Did I miss something?

You haven't been keeping up, have you?  1. Schools have never had to declare in advance that they're applying a redshirt to a player.  2. Players can apply for a medical hardship waiver if he's played in no more than 30% of the team's games.  (Someone posted this information to correct me.)  Bishop meets that criteria.  Hopefully, the NCAA will approve the waiver; if so, he can be a sophomore next year.

46 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

A player is eligible for a medical hardship waiver if he plays no more than 30% of the teams games.  If Jermaine doesn't play again this season, he will meet that standard.  Then a doctor has to submit the required paperwork that the injury prevented the athlete from competing.  The injury doesn't even have to be related to sports.  The type of injury is irrelevant - torn ACL, high ankle sprain, paper cut - all can be evaluated if the athlete can't play.  Yes, the NCAA has to grant the waiver, but this case appears to be pretty straightforward. 

Mathews is a RS Junior.

Carter was denied his request for a medical redshirt.  It isn't close to being a slam dunk that Bishop will get one.

I think Bishop could fill a role over the next two seasons. That said, with the way Ford has recruited so far why would you want him filling a scholarship slot for 3 more seasons?  

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Carter was denied his request for a medical redshirt.  It isn't close to being a slam dunk that Bishop will get one.

I think Bishop could fill a role over the next two seasons. That said, with the way Ford has recruited so far why would you want him filling a scholarship slot for 3 more seasons?  

Thats what I said about Bishop and Zeke and the boards on me. Seriously if you're not starting now, you have no future here. Its just the truth, our basketball team is not in a position to be nice, it should be pissed off at the performance we had after being a top 10 team and cutthroat 

26 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't pretend to know all the rules but didn't carter play a couple games after his injury? Seems like ability to play after the injury would weigh heavily on any verdicts.

Keeping bishops third year of eligibility is good both for him and for SLU. If he turns into a nice player and we want him for a 3rd year then great. If he plays 2 more years and he's not good enough, then he can transfer as a 5th year graduate and play immediately. If he plays one more year and isn't good enough he can transfer and it's no harm done as far as lost eligibility. Either way him and SLU are better off if he doesn't play the rest of this season as it keeps options open.