Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

11 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Illinois fans are saying Ramey Dad may join Mizzou staff. Legit? 

11 hours ago, brianstl said:

Any time the Illini lose a recruiting target it is because someone is getting paid or because of grades.  I know all fan bases have some fans that act like that, but it is how the vast majority of Illini fans act.  

11 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Yeah Illinois fans are crazy. This one should be pretty simple to determine though. If Terrell joins the Mizzou staff — that’s laughable 

I'd be willing to bet Ramey won't go to Illinois because of Ayo Dosunmu. When Villanova landed Quinerly, Ramey took them out of consideration. Same thing with UCLA and Tyger Campbell. Ramey wants to be the PG from day one wherever he goes. Illinois fans can make whatever excuse they want, but they're ignoring the obvious fact that they have a big-time PG already coming in, and Ramey has demonstrated this clear pattern. It's not a knock on Illinois (for once) - having Dosunmu as your incoming PG is a very good thing.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Box and Won said:

Otto Porter is averaging 15 ppg for the Wizards.

Darrell Porter is dead.

I went to grade school with a kid named Scott Porter.  I have no idea what he's up to these days.

Hamilton Porter went on to become a professional wrestler.  You may know him as "The Great Hambino."  

jimbofive and Box and Won like this

Shane Gatling (6-2 Juco G from Indian Hills CC) has an offer from Bonaventure now. He's in the process of setting up visits for the month of April. Destinations and schedule TBA.

His style would be a very good fit at Bonaventure, FWIW. He's no Jaylen Adams at this point, but he plays a lot like him and is a similar size.

He also has offers from SLU, Fordham, Dayton, Colorado, Ole Miss, and several others.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'd be willing to bet Ramey won't go to Illinois because of Ayo Dosunmu. When Villanova landed Quinerly, Ramey took them out of consideration. Same thing with UCLA and Tyger Campbell. Ramey wants to be the PG from day one wherever he goes. Illinois fans can make whatever excuse they want, but they're ignoring the obvious fact that they have a big-time PG already coming in, and Ramey has demonstrated this clear pattern. It's not a knock on Illinois (for once) - having Dosunmu as your incoming PG is a very good thing.

I was wondering about Pinson.  If Ramey announces MIZ before the signing period opens does Pinson potentially reconsider?

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

I keep hearing this about Ramey, and I honestly have no idea why he wouldn’t want to just come to SLU. We literally have zero pure PGs. I get that Goodwin may have been sold on being PG, but when Roby or Hines were in there he rarely handled the ball.  I bet he’d be fine with sliding to the 2 if it meant Ramey came here.  

Ramey, JG, JB, CaG, HF sounds like a winning lineup to me.

Yeah yeah, I know, won’t happen  

Just now, Macallan 18 said:

I was wondering about Pinson.  If Ramey announces MIZ before the signing period opens does Pinson potentially reconsider?

I would not expect Pinson to be a major contributor early on. I don't know if he'd reconsider, but it seems clear to me that Mizzou sees him more as a depth guy, as they continue to recruit higher-level PGs. The issue they have right now is that Terrence Phillips was kicked off the team, so now with him and Harris gone, Pinson is all they have right now at PG (correct me if I'm wrong, Mizzou people). So yeah, they're throwing everything at Ramey.

7 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I keep hearing this about Ramey, and I honestly have no idea why he wouldn’t want to just come to SLU. We literally have zero pure PGs. I get that Goodwin may have been sold on being PG, but when Roby or Hines were in there he rarely handled the ball.  I bet he’d be fine with sliding to the 2 if it meant Ramey came here.  

He does not want to play with Gordon anymore among other thing$. 

6 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

That would be an all-time local legend team for sure. The question is whether Ramey and Goodwin could coexist, as Goodwin was sold from the beginning as being transformed into a lead guard to give him the best skill set possible for the pro level. Goodwin strikes me as a pretty great teammate and maybe it could work, but I think the even bigger issue is that Ramey and his dad just aren't interested in SLU, and I haven't seen an indication that we're involved at this point.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I would not expect Pinson to be a major contributor early on. I don't know if he'd reconsider, but it seems clear to me that Mizzou sees him more as a depth guy, as they continue to recruit higher-level PGs. The issue they have right now is that Terrence Phillips was kicked off the team, so now with him and Harris gone, Pinson is all they have right now at PG (correct me if I'm wrong, Mizzou people). So yeah, they're throwing everything at Ramey.

I agree with your assessment, but if he was thinking he was going to be "the guy" and then a "depth guy" if Ramey comes, thought he may reconsider which could potentially put us back in play.  I know it is out there... 

13 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Because I don't believe we pay people. Why do you think he was going to Louisville? 

2 minutes ago, Macallan 18 said:

I agree with your assessment, but if he was thinking he was going to be "the guy" and then a "depth guy" if Ramey comes, thought he may reconsider which could potentially put us back in play.  I know it is out there... 

It's definitely a consideration, and the overall picture has changed since Pinson announced his three finalists (Mizzou, Wisconsin, and Georgetown). Wisconsin just got a commitment from 4-star PG Tai Strickland (Rod Strickland's son) this week. Georgetown has Jahvon Blair already and Mac McClung coming in, although that has been the case since before Pinson decided. The good news is that Pinson is only a verbal commit and can back out easily at any time.

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That would be an all-time local legend team for sure. The question is whether Ramey and Goodwin could coexist, as Goodwin was sold from the beginning as being transformed into a lead guard to give him the best skill set possible for the pro level. Goodwin strikes me as a pretty great teammate and maybe it could work, but I think the even bigger issue is that Ramey and his dad just aren't interested in SLU, and I haven't seen an indication that we're involved at this point.

Bias obviously but i think i would take Goodwin over Ramey. 

35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

i'm sold on Goodwin as the point guard, I don't think Ramey is as good as him. Additionally, Ramey is just a so so 3 point shooter, for a team that desperately needs an outside threat.....I

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Shane Gatling (6-2 Juco G from Indian Hills CC) has an offer from Bonaventure now. He's in the process of setting up visits for the month of April. Destinations and schedule TBA.

His style would be a very good fit at Bonaventure, FWIW. He's no Jaylen Adams at this point, but he plays a lot like him and is a similar size.

He also has offers from SLU, Fordham, Dayton, Colorado, Ole Miss, and several others.

We really need to get a visit from this kid. We'll be better than Bonawelding next year.

12 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm ok with Martin more or less selling another asst coach staff for a player.  That means he will then have two non qualified college coaches on his staff which will lessen his staff's ability to recruit and coach on a level to compete.with other programs that have 3 legitimate assistant coaches 

Is not his staff complete?  Someone would have to leave.  Maybe Porter's, dad will move on with a settlement.  Not sure if that happens what the deal will be with Dontay.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Otto Porter is averaging 15 ppg for the Wizards.

Darrell Porter is dead.

I went to grade school with a kid named Scott Porter.  I have no idea what he's up to these days.

If it is the same Scott Porter I know he is performing in Nashville.

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Jordan Geist was their PG all year basically playing ahead of Harris and Phillips before they bolted and were suspended respectively.  He's a junior, so I'm assuming he'll be back next year.  That being said, if Ramey does go to Mizzou and he sits behind Geist the same way that Harris did, I'd imagine that Ramey's dad would have an aneurysm and Mizzou's local recruiting would suffer.

20 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Jordan Geist was their PG all year basically playing ahead of Harris and Phillips before they bolted and were suspended respectively.  He's a junior, so I'm assuming he'll be back next year.  That being said, if Ramey does go to Mizzou and he sits behind Geist the same way that Harris did, I'd imagine that Ramey's dad would have an aneurysm and Mizzou's local recruiting would suffer.

Thanks. Forgot about Geist for some reason.

36 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Is not his staff complete?  Someone would have to leave.  Maybe Porter's, dad will move on with a settlement.  Not sure if that happens what the deal will be with Dontay.

sure it is.  but martin likely wouldnt think twice about burning one of the other assistants if he could get ramey out of the deal.   i am assuming martin paid porter that huge outragious salary because he wants dibbs on the up and coming kids as well.  i.e. i dont think he is going to move on just yet.   so one of the other assistants would have to go.   

In an effort to get this back on track and away from SPUMAC, the Porters and Ramey  (tool),  has anyone heard anything about where we stand with various recruits?  Who are we really going after? 

I know the NLI Spring signing period begins 4/12 , so are we in a quiet period limiting contacts by coaches?  If I'm not mistaken we have 2 scholarship we could fill if we wanted to and possibly a 3rd based on Welmer.  A few weeks ago Larry Austin was a big point of discussion as a GT to relieve JG for a few minutes a game at the PG, but that discussion has gone silent.

I can't imagine that TF is overly interested in adding anymore FR to the 4 we already have coming in, but I guess if there is a super kid that wants to come then I guess it would be hard to turn down that chance..

Where is pditty or The One?

2 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I gotta think Ramey would beat out Geist for playing time.

I don't wanna throw this thread back into Mizzou talk, but it is the offseason so what the hell.  Sorry @bauman, but you can look at Pistols recruiting lists to get your answer.

I totally agree with Box.  Ramey should beat out Geist for playing time.  That being said.  CJ Roberts and Blake Harris also should've beaten out Geist.  Martin already bungled handling for having 4 PGs (Geist, Phillips, Roberts, and Harris) to start 2017-18.  I have no reason not to think he wouldn't bungle having 3 (Geist, Ramey, Pinson) for 2018-19.  If I'm Geist, I'm not happy about losing PT and my starting spot to a freshman (Ramey) as a senior who started on an NCAA team the prior year.  Ramey (and his dad) won't be happy with anything less than being a starter day one and ample PT.  That doesn't leave much PT for Pinson who presumably committed expecting PT given the lack of options behind Geist and Geist only being in his way for 1 year.

since this thread appears to be drifting to recruiting b.s. of all programs not just billikens i assume you all saw this today about bagley from duke:

http://thespun.com/acc/duke/marvin-bagley-family-nike-payments

sickening if true.   btw, since i dont know if the "the spun" is a good source or not, usa today is quoting most of this today as well.