Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

9 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Thought he was a shoe in for ILL...

I hope he realizes the immediate playing time he can get here as opposed to Illinois. They’re just way too guard heavy with their three best recruits from last year being guards, their best recruit in a long time for next year being one, and hell, even Ramey might end up there. If I were him I would look at how such a prized recruit as Mark Smith is doing regarding minutes played and hope that steers him towards us

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We offered not long after he got out of his SIUC LOI and reclassified. It's been harder to gauge where we (and others, frankly) stood with him for the past few months while he's been out at Hillcrest. The Illinois offer just came in this month. I know he's been on their radar but the offer is fresh.

Jacobs is neither the pure shooter or pure PG we've been talking about, but we have enough room in the backcourt for an athletic guard who gets to the rim and can score at all three levels. He's tough and plays with a lot of energy. I think he'd fit in well on this roster.

-fits with JGood and FT and CFord likes the tough and energy part, too

-if we are recruiting him against B10 and PAC10 'scools' that is a sign of something being good about the kid

37 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

A guard is going to get significant minutes here. With a team that is really solid at the forward positions. A great situation for a guard with range.

This is what I think will bring in guards that coach Ford wants because of playing time and the forwards that will finish and give who ever comes great assist stats plus opens up the floor for them to score.  The only problem is what kind of effect S2 will have on the decision however in Ford I trust to explain it to the recruits.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=CAI%3D&search_query=demarius+jacobs

There's a ton of video available on Jacobs. Gotta love recruiting Chicago kids. There are a few from Hillcrest but mostly his HS years with Uplift and some AAU mixed in.

He definitely prefers to get his points at the basket, and he looks extremely comfortable doing so. He favors his right hand significantly, but is great with the ball, dribbles through traffic with ease, takes contact, and finishes in a number of ways. He's really smooth. He can shoot it when he needs to; the best stats I can find on him are from AAU, when he shot 36% from the perimeter. But he's primarily an at-the-basket scorer. One of the seldom discussed things this season has shown us is how valuable finishing is. It seems so simple and obvious, but it's true. Think of how many games we could've won if a few more layups went in. This kid is a finisher.

I was surprised by how many of his highlight reels feature him blocking shots. He's got good length and bounce, great body control and instincts.

Supposedly we are much more well positioned to land him than the others that have offered. As @MattyMo213 mentioned, Illinois and other schools are guard-heavy, and that creates an immediate opportunity for Jacobs at SLU.  

In addition, Travis himself has been all over Jacobs which creates an intimate desire to come here - this is Travis’s secret sauce in landing top recruits: he himself is closely involved in the recruiting and “sale”, doesn’t leave it up to his assistants. 

Based on what I have heard from our team’s staff they believe he will fit the system well, and they are also very very confident we are going to land him. Great news.

19 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Supposedly we are much more well positioned to land him than the others that have offered. As @MattyMo213 mentioned, Illinois and other schools are guard-heavy, and that creates an immediate opportunity for Jacobs at SLU.  

In addition, Travis himself has been all over Jacobs which creates an intimate desire to come here - this is Travis’s secret sauce in landing top recruits: he himself is closely involved in the recruiting and “sale”, doesn’t leave it up to his assistants. 

Based on what I have heard from our team’s staff they believe he will fit the system well, and they are also very very confident we are going to land him. Great news.

It would be comforting to get a verbal commit this weekend or soon after. Then turn our attention back to one of the JUCO sharpshooters and later perhaps the grad transfer market for a point guard.

36 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There's a ton of video available on Jacobs. Gotta love recruiting Chicago kids. There are a few from Hillcrest but mostly his HS years with Uplift and some AAU mixed in.

Ah so hes a Chicago kid?

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ah so hes a Chicago kid?

He went to Uplift and transferred to Hillcrest Prep in AZ this year. He is a Mac Irvin (Dumpster) Fire guy. 

Don't underestimate the Illini having ¢hin ¢oleman on staff. He has been hired for his connection to MIF in every stop hes been at - see Ayo and the THT recruitment mess. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Unable to watch the video.  According to recruiting sites hes a SG, any chance he can play point as well?

Just now, wgstl said:

Ah so hes a Chicago kid?

My link was to a list of videos featuring Jacobs. Just search his name and you'll get dozens of hits on YouTube.

He's not a PG. He's a scoring guard who gets his points at the rim. He can handle the ball well and he's a solid passer but not a lead guard.

He went to Uplift HS in Chicago with his brother, Markese, a 2019 kid who committed to Kansas as a sophomore. Out of HS, Jacobs signed with SIUC. Then he asked for a release, was granted one, and reclassified as a 2018 recruit attending Hillcrest Prep (AZ) for his fifth year. As JMM says above, he played for the Mac Irvin Fire AAU program with Ayo Dosunmu, so Illinois is going to use that connection.

SLU offered him not long after he got his release. Arizona State, too (they're all over Hillcrest kids). Illinois just offered last week, and he said right away that he'd visit ASAP but didn't specify a date. I didn't know he was going to take an official to SLU until his Tweet, and I think it surprised Illinois fans that he is coming to SLU first.

Yeah, Illinois isn't very good. Dosunmu is a big piece but I'm not sure what their plan is for the rest of the class. They've missed on every major target other than him. They're making a bigger push for Ramey now - which I'm not sure Dosunmu would like, and also seems like an acknowledgement that Mark Smith isn't in their plans moving forward - and they still have at least 2 scholarships to give, but I don't really get their roster construction. They seem to be stacking point and combo guards without pursuing big men, and they're already thin in the frontcourt as it is. I guess they're counting on a huge 2019 class and the opportunity is certainly there with guys like Liddell, Okoro, and a number of others they're in the mix for, but they need to start winning some games soon.

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-we're on a kid originally from Illinois so I have to ask what Roy Schmidt and his brother think

Roy said that right after Jacobs was offered that he would be an Illini right after he visited this week and you heard it first from him but nobody would acknowledge that.  Then when Jacobs said he was visiting SLU he called everybody an idiot that thought Illinois was the only team in this thing.  

13 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Roy said that right after Jacobs was offered that he would be an Illini right after he visited this week and you heard it first from him but nobody would acknowledge that.  Then when Jacobs said he was visiting SLU he called everybody an idiot that thought Illinois was the only team in this thing.  

That's basically his M.O. - strong statement in favor of Illinois, proven wrong shortly afterward, lashing out by denying his previous statement and blocking people. Rinse, repeat.

Jacobs' recruitment will be interesting to watch over the coming weeks. Here's hoping this weekend goes well.

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

48 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That's basically his M.O. - strong statement in favor of Illinois, proven wrong shortly afterward, lashing out by denying his previous statement and blocking people. Rinse, repeat.

Jacobs' recruitment will be interesting to watch over the coming weeks. Here's hoping this weekend goes well.

-good to know some things don't change,

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, Illinois isn't very good. Dosunmu is a big piece but I'm not sure what their plan is for the rest of the class. They've missed on every major target other than him. They're making a bigger push for Ramey now - which I'm not sure Dosunmu would like, and also seems like an acknowledgement that Mark Smith isn't in their plans moving forward - and they still have at least 2 scholarships to give, but I don't really get their roster construction. They seem to be stacking point and combo guards without pursuing big men, and they're already thin in the frontcourt as it is. I guess they're counting on a huge 2019 class and the opportunity is certainly there with guys like Liddell, Okoro, and a number of others they're in the mix for, but they need to start winning some games soon.

What happened to Mark Smith this year? His stats look pedestrian.