Manning summer?

bonwich

Manning isn't a bad player. His problem is staying on the floor. If he's not in foul trouble he's fairly productive. He's not a very good rebounder, but Loe, Remuken, & even Conklin left a lot to be desired in that department.

25 minutes, 8 points, 4 boards, 2 blocks a game and I'd be satisfied.

I wouldn't be surprised if Manning led the Bills in scoring this season. That said, I'm hoping for at least 9.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. If he can't stay out of foul trouble, then the Bills will either have to play small at the 5 or Brett Jolly is going to be baptized by fire. But at least there aren't many dominant centers in the college game anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if Manning led the Bills in scoring this season. That said, I'm hoping for at least 9.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. If he can't stay out of foul trouble, then the Bills will either have to play small at the 5 or Brett Jolly is going to be baptized by fire. But at least there aren't many dominant centers in the college game anymore.

I would be.

I think Manning will benefit just from being a Starter when it comes to foul trouble.

There's a certain amount of contact that defenders can get away with.

White backup centers do not typically get much benefit of the doubt on borderline calls where this is some contact.

JM definitely has the experience but lacks the finesse to stay in games. I suspect he will start but will not get major minutes for that exact reason. Hopefully the responsibility of being needed will make him a changed player.

I think Manning will benefit just from being a Starter when it comes to foul trouble.

There's a certain amount of contact that defenders can get away with.

White backup centers do not typically get much benefit of the doubt on borderline calls where this is some contact.

Maybe this belongs in a different thread... Maybe it has been covered to a degree...Oh, well... it's the offseason.

I agree and have high hopes/expectations for Manning this year and believe he will live up to them and have a breakout Senior season. In fact, guys like Manning, McBroom and Glaze have the ability to be leaders and difference makers between this year's team/large freshman class and our large freshman class of DE, RL, JJ and MM. 4 years ago, our Frosh played without the benefit of veteran leadership who know what it takes to be a successful/NCAA team. This year, if Manning and others can lead and carry the Frosh/Sophs for a few key games, then we will have a good season. I sure hope so and look forward to going to the NCAA Tournament for a fourth straight year!!.

Everyone has too busy on the lookout for how the new freshman are doing to notice any of the upperclassmen.

My expectations for John are not as good as Sr Loe but better than Sr Husak.

Actually its only 1 board and 3 or 4 points difference between the two. Hope Manning gets something in the middle.

Actually it's exactly 4.8 points, 1.4 rebounds, 1.5 assists difference per game - with Loe basically averaging twice as many points, 32% more rebounds, 4 times as many assists, nine times as many steals, and marginal edge in blocks. It's a pretty massive range.

10.3 PPG 5.7 RPG 2.0 APG 0.9 SPG 1.2 BPG

5.5 PPG 4.3 RPG 0.5 APG 0.1 SPG 1.1 BPG

If Manning can't do better than that Husak line, he better be riding the pine.

Loe's PERs 14.86 ppg 8.23 boards 2.84 assists 1.74 blocks

Husak's PER 12.08 ppg 9.37 boards 1.17 assists 2.34 blocks

Remember I'm not saying Husak was better than Loe, just saying their performances were closer than one might think. Manning has done very little in his career. If he can consistently split the difference between the two I'd be happy, anything else would be gravy.

Back to the original point. Does anyone know what JM's doing to improve his game? Is he going to that big man camp? Hitting the weights? Who on the staff would be working w/ the bigs? Dr B, any impressions would be appreciated. I happen to think JM could be a difference maker this year.

Back to the original point. Does anyone know what JM's doing to improve his game? Is he going to that big man camp? Hitting the weights? Who on the staff would be working w/ the bigs? Dr B, any impressions would be appreciated. I happen to think JM could be a difference maker this year.

See my recent post in the Tom T thread. Wouldn't your questions make for an interesting short piece in the PD, instead of having to rely on Billikens.com posters and this message board to get that type of information.

Manning will be more than serviceable this season. He finished last season strong. I haven't heard anything regarding how he's looked in the offseason, but I have heard that him and Grandy have taken the "senior leaders" thing very seriously and they are both working very hard this offseason and that they are aware of their roles on the team both on and off the court.

See my recent post in the Tom T thread. Wouldn't your questions make for an interesting short piece in the PD, instead of having to rely on Billikens.com posters and this message board to get that type of information.

Also, it would be nice if the athletic department website provided some of that content as well. It wouldn't have been that hard to do a quick interview with each player and some of the coaches to let us know what the guys were up to this summer. A feature on each of the newcomers would have been nice. Maybe show some footage from practice and workouts.

20-22 mpg, 7 ppg, 4 rpg... he'll be a good defender and our best shot-blocker since Willie. Solid, but not spectacular. I also predict he will add a little bit of a 3-point shooting element. He won't be firing them up frequently like Loe, but he will pick his spots and keep defenses honest if he gets a good look from 3-point land.

Loe's PERs 14.86 ppg 8.23 boards 2.84 assists 1.74 blocks

Husak's PER 12.08 ppg 9.37 boards 1.17 assists 2.34 blocks

Remember I'm not saying Husak was better than Loe, just saying their performances were closer than one might think. Manning has done very little in his career. If he can consistently split the difference between the two I'd be happy, anything else would be gravy.

Who was that Husack? The one I remember was never more than a bit player.