Wichita St to the A10?

brianstl

Strauss just brought this up on his show to Doug Elgin. I don't think there is anything to it.

What was fun about was hearing Strauss actually broaching this topic with Doug Elgin and basically Strauss telling Elgin the A10 is a better conference for the Shockers than the Valley. It was fun to hear a local media guy not kiss the Valley's ass for once.

Strauss just brought this up on his show to Doug Elgin. I don't think there is anything to it.

What was fun about was hearing Strauss actually broaching this topic with Doug Elgin and basically Strauss telling Elgin the A10 is a better conference for the Shockers than the Valley. It was fun to hear a local media guy not kiss the Valley's ass for once.

I heard that too. It was kind of funny.

Elgin says something like why would the shockers want to leave when they can dominate the MVC.

Straus pretty much responded with, so they can be in a good conference.

They would be a massively good addition to the A10!!!! Won't happen, but we can dream. We've played some way entertaining games against them. I wonder if they'd turn down an invite. Whoa, just looked. They're another 420 miles out from you guys. That's some tough travel. That said, Marquette jumped at the Big E and they're pretty far out there too, Especially for the games down South.

They would be a massively good addition to the A10!!!! Won't happen, but we can dream. We've played some way entertaining games against them. I wonder if they'd turn down an invite. Whoa, just looked. They're another 420 miles out from you guys. That's some tough travel. That said, Marquette jumped at the Big E and they're pretty far out there too, Especially for the games down South.

When Marquette left CUSA they had DePaul with them and Notre Dame. 2 big local rivals for them.

Typical Strauss nonsense.

There was an article in a paper today out east speculating on the topic. That's probably where Strauss got the idea.

I can't imagine Wichita st or the a-10 would have any interest until they know what the big east plans to do with SLU.

There was an article in a paper today out east speculating on the topic. That's probably where Strauss got the idea.

I can't imagine Wichita st or the a-10 would have any interest until they know what the big east plans to do with SLU.

I am guessing this is the article

http://mobile.gazettenet.com/home/10858601-108/matt-vautour-atlantic-10-should-pursue-undefeated-wichita-state

There has been speculation that WState could be the other team to join STL in the Big East in a couple years.

The way the BE proponents argue about prospective programs, and schools' academics - that is very doubtful. WSU is public, and their academics are subpar.

VCU is at least ranked in the 160s, close enough to other former/current BE institutions. If they take a public, they'd bring along VCU to balance out the east.

Still doubtful they bring a public school, however.

Seems far fetched but not unimaginable given the dynamics of today's conference moves. If SLU and Dayton stayed, which assumes we won't be asked to join the Elite BE, add WSU and another MWest school, take your pick, say Valpo, the A10 would have 16 schools. With 4 truly being MWest. add to the west DU, St. B, Davidson, and one of the Richmond schools, you'd have a kick ass conference. Problem is, Marshall is going to be a hot BCS candidate, then what happens to WSU?

The author of that article assumes that by bringing in the likes of WSU to bolster the Midwest presence SLU might stay in the A10 even if the Big East invite comes.

That is a complete mistake in logic. As good as the A10 is showing itself to be as a conference, (better than the optimistic among us might have expected) if the Big East calls SLU won't think twice.

Y'know if Lawrence and Manhattan, Kansas, have no problems getting to Morgantown, WV, then I don't really see what the issue is for some others in terms of conference travels. Of course, without big brother football to pay the bills, it might be tougher.

And yes, let's be delusional tALBert, the premier basketball-only conference that has a much greater chance exisitng is th eone with names like Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, La Salle, Fordham and Davidson running round it rather then Marquette, Villanova, Georgetown, Xavier and Providence. You writing this in Colorado?

At some point the travel for non revenue sports have to be taken into account. I could see WSU joing the A10 but leave their non revenue sports in the Valley or find another lesser conference to play in - now would the Valley allow the non revenue teams to stay or would a lesser conf be willing to take WSU for the non revenue sports who knows . Is not this something that BYU did?

Money and planes are not things that Wichita lacks. They could handle the distance better than SLU, IMO.

It's a state university, obviously, so taxpayer funding is big. But WSU (per wikipedia) has an endowment under $200 million. SLU's endowment is close to $1 billion.

For rudimentary comparison, Missouri's largest public university has an endowment between $600M and $1.2B (depending on whether you include the entire University of Missouri system).

At some point the travel for non revenue sports have to be taken into account. I could see WSU joing the A10 but leave their non revenue sports in the Valley or find another lesser conference to play in - now would the Valley allow the non revenue teams to stay or would a lesser conf be willing to take WSU for the non revenue sports who knows . Is not this something that BYU did?

Ya BYU moved their non-football sports from the Mountain Wesst to the WCC when they went independent for football.

It's a state university, obviously, so taxpayer funding is big. But WSU (per wikipedia) has an endowment under $200 million. SLU's endowment is close to $1 billion.

For rudimentary comparison, Missouri's largest public university has an endowment between $600M and $1.2B (depending on whether you include the entire University of Missouri system).

I am talking about athletic funding, not endowments. Wichita has a very strong athletic booster base across all of their sports.

It also doesn't hurt that they are in one of the largest airline manufacturing towns in the US.