GDT Vs Mason

UpperdeckKid

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Strauss says SLU can't handle athletic opponents. Did we not just beat his VCU team? Or are they not athletic?

The two most athletic teams we've played this year are arguably VCU and George mason. We haven't looked good against either. When we play really good athletic teams in the dance we might get our ass handed to us. That is his point and unfortunately I think he's right.

I think a lot of defensive woes late had to do with TL being in the game instead of DE.

Oh man you shoulda heard JC gettin on the refs about a charge not called that TL took. He told the ref that he was personally ruining the game of college basketball for not calling that charge.

Probably pretty accurate. TL got a lot of run tonight. Thought we'd see more RA with the foul trouble.

Thought we should have seen more Reggie given Mason's athleticism. Didn't understand the lack of using him or Crew's refusal to call timeouts down the stretch or in OT. Thought he might want to set something up at some point. But, what do I know?

The two most athletic teams we've played this year are arguably VCU and George mason. We haven't looked good against either. When we play really good athletic teams in the dance we might get our ass handed to us. That is his point and unfortunately I think he's right.

We have played athletic teams before - our defense has to adjust and provide better help to make up for it - I am not sure why the last 2-3 games have been so bad for us but I have to think that the players are not executing defensively like they have. The are going to have to get that going again.

We have played athletic teams before - our defense has to adjust and provide better help to make up for it - I am not sure why the last 2-3 games have been so bad for us but I have to think that the players are not executing defensively like they have. The are going to have to get that going again.

Which really athletic teams besides vcu and gm have we played this year? I really can't think of any. Certainly none on the level of Kentucky or Michigan or ucla or Louisville which are all candidates for a second round match up.

I love this teams heart as we just refuse to get beat and we sure had things that could have cost us this game. Our guys need to shoot some EXTRA FT as 60% will normally get you beat. Agree on the help defense and I got to believe the Coaching Staff will work on this in practice.

Which really athletic teams besides vcu and gm have we played this year? I really can't think of any. Certainly none on the level of Kentucky or Michigan or ucla or Louisville which are all candidates for a second round match up.

I agree. If we pull one of the more athletic teams in the tournament, we are going to be out early.. and we might be blown out.

That dribble drive offense is tough for us to stop when the guards can score.

This is one of the downsides to us playing at faster tempo this year and why it concerned me earlier in the year. The slower tempo we used to play at would frustrate more athletic teams. We might not have horses to hang at a faster tempo against more athletic teams.

The super slow tempo acted as a neutralizer against the athleticism.

I agree. If we pull one of the more athletic teams in the tournament, we are going to be out early.. and we might be blown out.

I wouldn't say we are definitely going to be out, but it would be a big challenge. I doubt kshoe would say we are definitely out against a team like Kentucky/UCLA, either. I can't wait for Selection Sunday. Dying to see how this all shakes out.

Is it too late to at least put a zone defense into the defensive arsenal, for use at various times against athletic dribble drive teams? Perhaps it is too late in the season. But how hard would it be to at least have a zone option?

That guard Wright had 34 points tonight. And the other guard, Allen, had 30 points in the earlier game played in St. Louis.

Otherwise, I don't know what else to do. I've heard the coaches serving as game analysts say that the dribble drive is what beats SLU's man to man defense.

Is it too late to at least put a zone defense into the defensive arsenal, for use at various times against athletic dribble drive teams? Perhaps it is too late in the season. But how hard would it be to at least have a zone option?

Otherwise, I don't know what else to do. I've heard the coaches serving as game analysts say that the dribble drive is what beats SLU's man to man defense.

It's too late and not who we are. We might not match up physically to some teams but I will bet we play harder and smarter. I like our chances with our senior leaders who don't want to lose.