Bills by 3 over VCU

The Wiz

8 turnovers as a team in the first game. I'd say that's pretty good

That had a lot to do with the fact that they only got to set up their press four times in the first 15 minutes of the game. The game was 32-9 at that point.

The big key to the game is going to be to somewhat control them on the offensive glass. They are a bad shooting team, but get a ton of offensive rebounds that result in second chance points. Limit those, you limit their number of chances to set up their press and their chances to force turnovers.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the season, the team is averaging 11.9 turnovers. This number is 12.7 per game in A10 play.

The difference can pretty much be explained away by Jett, who is averaging 4.1 TO in conference play, but 2.75 for the season. He also has a very strong TO/minutes correlation; i.e. it's not that he's just having big TO nights- the more minutes he plays, the more he turns it over, almost to a game. Granted, he's been awesome in about every other facet of his game during the A10 season, but this could be a problem against VCU.

Everyone else, for the most part, has done a great job of protecting the ball all season.

VCU turns it over 12.2 times per game, pretty impressive compared to 19.2 turnovers forced per game. SLU forces 14.8 TO/game.

A takeaway from brianstl's point is that part of our bad assist to turnover ratio is no longer with us.

I will be very interested to see how McBroom handles the pressure. He certainly has the quickness to handle it and may thrive against it. He has to make sure he doesn't rush and it is able to stay under control. He would have really struggled earlier in the season, but I think he is doing a better job staying under control and making good decisions.

Put another way, SLU has turned it over 114 times in 9 games; Jordair is responsible for 37 of those (32.4%). If he protects the ball, we'll be in good shape.

I'd also worry a little about McBroom, who has not seen HAVOC nearly as many times as the other guys - though, to be fair, he only has 11 turnovers in 9 conference games.

I will be very interested to see how McBroom handles the pressure. He certainly has the quickness to handle it and may thrive against it. He has to make sure he doesn't rush and it is able to stay under control. He would have really struggled earlier in the season, but I think he is doing a better job staying under control and making good decisions.

Big +1.

Wiz, you made a typo. I believe you left a 0 off that line. Bills win big.

More importantly - what is the magic number for clinching the conference title again?

If we win on Sat that leaves 6 games with a 3 game lead so the magic # would be 3...not sure what the tie breaker is.

A big game fotr a lot of reasons. ..

1.....2 best teams in A-10 playing for the conf title on national tv. A win by SLU will pretty much give it to us....a loss keeps it going.

2...A chance to move into the AP Top 10....additional PR

3...A chance to set the all time Billiken consecutive win total....we are currently tied at 16 with the 1947-48 into 1948-49 teams. I remember starting to track this back in Dec when I posted the 10 Bills teams that were ahead of us. I knew then we had a chance to set the record. Everytime we knocked offf an earlier Bills team, I moved us up the ladder...It is pretty amazing to realize that the Bills are currently tied for the longest win streak in their 100 year history.

4...PR....Have you lamented the lack of local coverage ...they and everyone else will be paying attention to this game...a win by the Bills will keep their focus.

OK ...onto the game....

What we need to do to win.......

This will be pretty simple....PROTECT THE BALL

VCU leads the nation in steals at nearly 12 /game

They are a slightly above ave 3pt team...we need to hold them to 25% ...with no more than 15 att and 5 made. They went crazy against GW at 52% from the arc...that will not happen here.

Reddic...hold him to single digit scoring

Johnson and Burgess are their 3pt shooters....hold them to under 30%

We need to keep making foul shots...this has been one of the most overlooked stats....People always talk about our D....well in the last 3 games we are one of the top shooting FT in the nation with a staggering 89% (upper 70's is great)....and we have taken a lot of foul shots during those games.

And finally ....PROTECT THE BALL

We always win when....

11-0.... opp shoots 25% or less from 3

11-0..... opp has 11 or less FTM

9-0........we have 25 or more FGM

7-0........our FG% is 47.2 or higher

13-1......Evans scores 14pts (this stat is legal because it is higher than our winning %)

9-0........Jett plays 34 min... btw he also has 9 straight double digit games

5-0........When Loe has 9 or more Reb

And finally from the General....

Victory favors the team that makes the fewest mistakes

....................Bobby Knight

You have a math mistake - 5 -15 from the 3pt arc is 33% not 25% - 4-15 would do it. No big deal but if you have us by 3 then an extra 3 would make all the difference.

The big key to the game is going to be to somewhat control them on the offensive glass. They are a bad shooting team, but get a ton of offensive rebounds that result in second chance points. Limit those, you limit their number of chances to set up their press and their chances to force turnovers.

After watching the GMU game and the GW-VCU game this is my biggest concern

Is it just me or have Jett's errors generally been unforced? He doesn't seem to struggle because of heavy pressure (I.e. havoc) but rather because of his own doing.

Not just you. But I think a bit of it is that he is trying to do a lot more, and most of the time it works, but when it doesn't, it is somewhat glaring.

Last year the only guy who had previously seen havoc was Mitchell and he led the guards in turnovers in those to games combined.

We are going to turn the ball over against VCU more than we normally do. We had 17 turnovers against them last year in the conference finals. The key in that game is we held them below what they averaged on the offensive boards and below their offensive rebounding percentage. That is why we won that game.

Is it just me or have Jett's errors generally been unforced? He doesn't seem to struggle because of heavy pressure (I.e. havoc) but rather because of his own doing.

Agree. But as SignGuy said, he tries to do too much sometimes. And I'm afraid that could be the case against VCU

Last year the only guy who had previously seen havoc was Mitchell and he led the guards in turnovers in those to games combined.

We are going to turn the ball over against VCU more than we normally do. We had 17 turnovers against them last year in the conference finals. The key in that game is we held them below what they averaged on the offensive boards and below their offensive rebounding percentage. That is why we won that game.

And huge shots from Mitchell and Ellis

From what I saw of havoc last night Jordair could score 50 by driving the ball to the basket. GW was horrible but still got to the basket at will at various points in that game. Additionally, VCU is a vastly different team on the road versus good teams. They can harass bad teams on the road, but it's a different story against a mentally tough team. I don't think there is a more mentally tough team in the country than the Billikens. I could be wrong, but I say we blow them right out of the Fetz.

I don't mind too much when Jett commits a turnover when he is being aggressive attacking the basket - when you make so many spectacular plays, you are going to have some that fail. What is frustrating is that when commits the turnovers when he appears to be tired. He exerts so much effort on both ends, that when there is a long stretch with no stoppages, he looks fatigued and that is when tends to commit unforced turnovers. This is type of game where I hope Crews doesn't hold on so tightly to his timeouts like he tends to do.

Agree with Ace about fatigue being a factor in JJ's turnovers. He's playing a lot of minutes. Also JJ has become the de facto point even though I think he is actually a 2 guard. So he's trying to initiate plays with passes that he sometimes forces or telegraphs.

Burgess is a better shooter than Graham from 3. If VCU needed a 3 at the end of the game, Burgess would have a better shot at making it. Graham is a below average 3pt shooter....coming up against our D, would push him down even more.

Not true. Graham's 3pt% is low because he had a slow start this season. Graham can hit them and if there is a 3 needed on a last possession Burgess would not be taking it- Tre would.

Briante Weber's 3pt% is misleading also. He is shooting them at 42% in A10 play although shooting 3 pointers are not his role. He will shoot it if left wide open and that is what has happened in conference play- teams were daring him to shoot it so he did.

I'm not excited about having to play you guys at your place. If Melvin doesn't bring his 3 point range, we may get smoked. We'll find out Saturday!

From what I saw of havoc last night Jordair could score 50 by driving the ball to the basket. GW was horrible but still got to the basket at will at various points in that game. Additionally, VCU is a vastly different team on the road versus good teams. They can harass bad teams on the road, but it's a different story against a mentally tough team. I don't think there is a more mentally tough team in the country than the Billikens. I could be wrong, but I say we blow them right out of the Fetz.

I'm not saying VCU will win (think it's doubtful) but they do have the Conference's best OOC true road victory, @ UVA. UVA runs another "gimmicky" system, in the pack line defense/disciplined zone. I still believe SLU is on par with UVA, maybe better - and Conference road games are tough, SLU has the upper hand in this one.

-let me state JJ is super, sometimes the t/o's are maddening, however, but I am not trading him for anyone

-Ace is on to the timeout scenario

-when is the last time a frosh played in the second half of a game? I don't expect it Sat. Perhaps MC has played a couple of minutes but not many and TL and RA not all that I can remember lately

-I worry about GG as his first move with basketball most times is to pound it into the floor, VCU will feast on that

-we have had issues controlling our defensive rebounds, I hope we have that cleaned up for VCU and beyond

-don't put the ball on the floor, advance by passing, don't rush, use RL as an outlet, stay out of foul trouble, make open shots, play our regular defense, rebound, easy, we win