Bills by 3 over VCU

The Wiz

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feared it would be close... but didn't think it would be because we couldn't hit free throws.

Yeah, we just weren't mentally sharp today. We left a bunch of points out on the court.

I'll take the win, but they still got stuff they need to fix. 33% from the 3 and 45% from the floor were not bad for this game. We just didn't look like a bunch of seniors today.

Yeah, we just weren't mentally sharp today. We left a bunch of points out on the court.

I'll take the win, but they still got stuff they need to fix. 33% from the 3 and 45% from the floor were not bad for this game. We just didn't look like a bunch of seniors today.

Still we beat a quality club, that was jacked up for us and needed a win, without playing our best. That is a very good sign.

I liked RL today, he did so much that does not necessarily show up in the stats. He stepped up and played tough when we need it. Clutch player, too.

Still we beat a quality club, that was jacked up for us and needed a win, without playing our best. That is a very good sign.

I liked RL today, he did so much that does not necessarily show up in the stats. He stepped up and played tough when we need it. Clutch player, too.

I am probably getting a little greedy with what I want from this team. This has been a great run and as you said a good win over a quality club.

I am with you on Rob. I might be the biggest Rob honk around. He just does all the little things.

Rob might have been player of the game. Between his all-around play and that "my kiwis are bigger than yours" three pointer I think he takes it away from Evans (TURNOVERS) and Jett, who was kept quiet most of the first half. Those seals, "loe-low" passes, great screens (he doesn't get called for illegal ones anymore!) and good defense both help side and in the post, rebounding clinched it. Rob is having a super underrated year, simply due to the fact that Evans and Jett have been phenomenal in very obvious ways. I'd peg Rob for an All A-10 team - the coaches should be able to see the little things he does that help this team win. Every game.

A big game fotr a lot of reasons. ..

1.....2 best teams in A-10 playing for the conf title on national tv. A win by SLU will pretty much give it to us....a loss keeps it going.

2...A chance to move into the AP Top 10....additional PR

3...A chance to set the all time Billiken consecutive win total....we are currently tied at 16 with the 1947-48 into 1948-49 teams. I remember starting to track this back in Dec when I posted the 10 Bills teams that were ahead of us. I knew then we had a chance to set the record. Everytime we knocked offf an earlier Bills team, I moved us up the ladder...It is pretty amazing to realize that the Bills are currently tied for the longest win streak in their 100 year history.

4...PR....Have you lamented the lack of local coverage ...they and everyone else will be paying attention to this game...a win by the Bills will keep their focus.

OK ...onto the game....

What we need to do to win.......

This will be pretty simple....PROTECT THE BALL

VCU leads the nation in steals at nearly 12 /game

They are a slightly above ave 3pt team...we need to hold them to 25% ...with no more than 15 att and 5 made. They went crazy against GW at 52% from the arc...that will not happen here.

Reddic...hold him to single digit scoring

Johnson and Burgess are their 3pt shooters....hold them to under 30%

We need to keep making foul shots...this has been one of the most overlooked stats....People always talk about our D....well in the last 3 games we are one of the top shooting FT in the nation with a staggering 89% (upper 70's is great)....and we have taken a lot of foul shots during those games.

And finally ....PROTECT THE BALL

We always win when....

11-0.... opp shoots 25% or less from 3

11-0..... opp has 11 or less FTM

9-0........we have 25 or more FGM

7-0........our FG% is 47.2 or higher

13-1......Evans scores 14pts (this stat is legal because it is higher than our winning %)

9-0........Jett plays 34 min... btw he also has 9 straight double digit games

5-0........When Loe has 9 or more Reb

And finally from the General....

Victory favors the team that makes the fewest mistakes

....................Bobby Knight

First an amazing win.... Not just because it was a high energy, pressure packed key game. It was impressive the way we did it. Against one of the most exhausting defensive teams, we essentially beat them with 5 players. We had 5 players who averaged more than 34 min this game. VCU had only 1 player who played more than 33 min.

Also, I think those games against RI, Duq and GM paid dividends today. All close games ...all wins we gritted out. We bent but did not break. That is what championship teams do....whether you are playing GM or VCU....champs find a way to win...the more you do it, the more backbone you build.

OK...so let's see how we did based on my orig post.....

Protect the ball....mixed...VCU had 9 steals...they ave 12....check....we usually have 12 TO...we had 17....miss

VCU 3pt shooting....predicted 25% or less....12.5%....double check......5 or less made,,,,,2 made...double check....15 or less att....16att....check....close enough especially since we cut the shooting % in half.

Foul shots....we average 72%....made only 59%...this was disappointing especially since we were averaging 89% the last 3 games....I will chalk this up to fatigue....overall on average we should have made about 4 more shots...that extra 4 points might have been enough to really break it open...

Hold Reddic to single digits.... he had 13pts...a miss ....but overall a pretty good job on him

Hold Johnson and Burgess to under 30% from 3....25% on both.....check and check

VCU FTM....11 or less....10....check

SLU FGM....25....actual...22...miss...

Evans 14 pts...actual 21 pts....double check....he really worked for those pts with extra effort

Jett plays 34 min or more....actual 37 amazing effort

Loe 9 Reb....actual 4....more than made up for with Evans 10 reb

And final I will give myself a check for being 1 off...though you can't please everybody (Backhand)

So overall...about an average Bills game with some weak foul shooting and a few extra turnovers (both may be do to fatigue) I think most fans should be pleased with the results. I don't think this win will change the numbers much....we did what we were supposed to do.

The 17 wins is the longest win streak in Bills history...eclipsing the 47-48 into 48-49 teams...quite an accomplishment.....let's keep it going.

for be it from me to ? JC as I think I am well established here at the MBM round table as early convert, but what's the deal with the lack of bench play? no injuries? it looks like he's decided to let the seniors finish with a bang? maybe 3 frosh stinking it up in practice? I think and really I hope that that 2 out of 8 possible points streak at line toward the end was caused by those guys playing so many minutes. i really think we could of squeezed at least 15 more minutes from those 5 by using our 3 freshman without sacrificing too much. but who knows. it is unreal how we manage to win so many of these games where we kind of stink on offense, but if our streak comes crashing and we lose 4 out of our 6 games I'd be no less amazed then I will be if we win out. There is something to be said to the point madeby one of those idiots biking against traffic from Havoc Heights who said some sh*t about dark horses coming to dance with long winning streaks. If we lose only one loosing to them up there would hurt the least. I bet they advance to at least rd of 32.

for be it from me to ? JC as I think I am well established here at the MBM round table as early convert, but what's the deal with the lack of bench play? no injuries? it looks like he's decided to let the seniors finish with a bang? maybe 3 frosh stinking it up in practice? I think and really I hope that that ###### 2 out of 8 possible points streak at line toward the end was caused by those guys playing so many minutes. i really think we could of squeezed at least 15 more minutes from those 5 by using our 3 freshman without sacrificing too much. but who knows. it is unreal how we manage to win so many of these games where we kind of stink on offense, but if our streak comes crashing and we lose 4 out of our 6 games I'd be no less amazed then I will be if we win out. There is something to be said to the point madeby one of those idiots biking against traffic from Havoc Heights who said some sh*t about dark horses coming to dance with long winning streaks. If we lose only one loosing to them up there would hurt the least. I bet they advance to at least rd of 32.

McBroom had a very tough time dealing with VCU's defense and pressure yesterday as this was the first time he'd ever seen it. How do you think Crawford, Lancona or Agbeko would have fared? It seemed obvious to me that Crews decided he was going to shorten the bench and go with experience against a tough opponent. I am sure he informed the seniors that they would be out there for 30+ minutes a piece prior to the game and be ready for it. It was calculated risk that he took. Go with tired but experienced players down the stretch over using Crawford and either of the two freshman bigs. It appeared to be the right move as SLU won the game.

McBroom had a very tough time dealing with VCU's defense and pressure yesterday as this was the first time he'd ever seen it. How do you think Crawford, Lancona or Agbeko would have fared? It seemed obvious to me that Crews decided he was going to shorten the bench and go with experience against a tough opponent. I am sure he informed the seniors that they would be out there for 30+ minutes a piece prior to the game and be ready for it. It was calculated risk that he took. Go with tired but experienced players down the stretch over using Crawford and either of the two freshman bigs. It appeared to be the right move as SLU won the game.

Agreed that it worked out. If he used a short bench at home I think we can expect the same in Richmond with the added pressure of playing on the road. Rest up fellas.

The freshmen could not have made worse turn overs than the seniors made. When freshmen make mistakes they are called freshman mistakes. What are they called when seniors make them?

It was as lopsided of a two point game as you're ever going to see. I'm starting to get tired of all the grumbling about the closeness of the wins. This team wins, period. And I'll gladly take a consistent season of single digit victories over a season like last year where we blow a bunch of ranked opponents out but then lay the occasional turd like SC, RI, WAS, etc.

Agreed that it worked out. If he used a short bench at home I think we can expect the same in Richmond with the added pressure of playing on the road. Rest up fellas.

Remember early foul trouble for the starters can change the plans for having a short bench. In the LaSalle game both Loe and Manning got into foul trouble in the first half so conditions in the game can change Coach Crews plans at VCU.

Remember early foul trouble for the starters can change the plans for having a short bench. In the LaSalle game both Loe and Manning got into foul trouble in the first half so conditions in the game can change Coach Crews plans at VCU.

No doubt about that and that will be a legitimate concern playing there. Shaka will be working harrrrd on those refs.