Bernie... C'mon now!

BJK

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-slu-is-succeeding-the-old-fashioned-way/article_16fea282-405d-576c-9964-339b51e5a9a9.html

In this article BM refers to our fifth starting senior as JOSH Barnett. I know we are just the lowly Bills who have only lost two games this year and deserve no attention from local media but fu@kin c'mon!!!

In other news Bernie sucks.

Why does he have to run his mouth defending himseld all the damn time. It is like he has to defend every single word that comes out of his mouth before anyone even has the chance to label it as pure cr@p... which it is.

I would like for him and Kevin Slaten to be put in a room together and videotaped for like three days with no hot wings or fritos.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason this is really pissing me off.

He blows Majerus for the whole time he is here and then he writes nothing about us for a year and now he can't even remember the name of a starting player on the only two loss college basketball team in his entire reporting vicinity. A$$hat!!!!!!

If all of college basketball bores him, how did he do the research? Or did he do research? Seems a very easy compilation while sitting at the very table/desk he podcasts from in front of. I'll take th\e publicity, but still .......

Except for getting Jake's name wrong, it was a fine article.

Unfortunately, he's dead on about the popularity of college basketball decreasing. There are a multitude of reasons for it and he touches on some of them, but its a real problem with no easy solutions.

I think people are making a bit too much of his error with Jake's name. Other than that, it was a solid column.

If you're going to make an editorial comment like Bernie's, along the lines of, "Oh Gosh. I really love watching the Billikens, but there just aren't enough fans! Trust me, I reallllyyyyy like to watch the Billikens but it's your fault" he should at least be able to get the names right.

Don't chastise fans and then get the names wrong.

With that said it was a good article.

Bernie has a lot of fish to fry, and we can't be expected to be the center of attention in a city with a lot more baseball and hockey fans than SLU fans. Bernie has been pretty good to SLU, frankly. He has opinions and not afraid to express them. We must remember he is not from St. Louis, and often shows it with no real understanding of SLU's history or the University's place in our town. I thought it was a good article, and nit-picking should be left to the nutjobs.

Front and center in the paper. Not a great article but it's better than nothing. The casual fan who doesn't root for the Billikens yet probably enjoyed the article. No article will please the people on here but that's fine because it's not like any of us need to be convinced to root for SLU

Hard to satisfy Billiken nation. I commented a week or so ago wondering why he's ignored our season. So, we should take this and be grateful for any local pub we're getting. Yeah, he got Jake's name wrong. Maybe he'll issue an errata.

I understand why folks have become disillusioned w/ college hoops. I read that UK's attendance has dropped in the Calipari era because the fans don't like the turnstile program he supports so much. Having spent a fair amount of time in Lexington 20 years ago this is easy to understand. Those folks idolized UK players. Hard to idolize them when you don't even know their names. The NCAA should get their head out of their arse and do away w/ the one and done policy. I understand the NBA is the author of the rule, but if the NCAA counted the one and doners against the APR it would effectively stop this pretense of one and doners as student athletes.

Hard to satisfy Billiken nation. I commented a week or so ago wondering why he's ignored our season. So, we should take this and be grateful for any local pub we're getting. Yeah, he got Jake's name wrong. Maybe he'll issue an errata.

I understand why folks have become disillusioned w/ college hoops. I read that UK's attendance has dropped in the Calipari era because the fans don't like the turnstile program he supports so much. Having spent a fair amount of time in Lexington 20 years ago this is easy to understand. Those folks idolized UK players. Hard to idolize them when you don't even know their names. The NCAA should get their head out of their arse and do away w/ the one and done policy. I understand the NBA is the author of the rule, but if the NCAA counted the one and doners against the APR it would effectively stop this pretense of one and doners as student athletes.

This article is SEC focused but gets at some of the issues regarding college basketball popularity and attendance.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/sec_asks_espn_for_help_with_co.html

If you're going to make an editorial comment like Bernie's, along the lines of, "Oh Gosh. I really love watching the Billikens, but there just aren't enough fans! Trust me, I reallllyyyyy like to watch the Billikens but it's your fault" he should at least be able to get the names right.

Don't chastise fans and then get the names wrong.

With that said it was a good article.

Sometimes Guy Phillips, who watches at least every home game and is paid to do little more than say the players' names, gets players' names wrong. It's an honest mistake. I just don't see the need to dwell on it.

I thought the article was fine - in fact if you were a casual fan you probably even got excited about it. For those of you who complained about it you missed the most important part - he called SLU basically a blue collar team who is unselfesh and driven to win as a team. This is the best thing anybody can say about a team in StL- the people love that kind of a team. He did us a huge favor. Now it is important to make sure we don't stumble this year and next.

As far as the one and done rule goes - I agree with 72 on this the NCAA should make them count or at least have a penalty for them when they leave. Of course the one and done players are hurting attendance at schools like KY but for places like us as Bernie points out it means nothing.

This article is SEC focused but gets at some of the issues regarding college basketball popularity and attendance.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/sec_asks_espn_for_help_with_co.html

Thanks for posting but one thing I would add to their list of issues is that football is demanding more and more money from the fans - it has an insatiable appetite. When Missouri joined the SEC, they put such a squeeze on their football fans financially wise that many fans simply had to pick one or the other - football or basketball because they can not afford both. This need to hold people up for football is one thing that is killing basketball.

Sometimes Guy Phillips, who watches at least every home game and is paid to do little more than say the players' names, gets players' names wrong. It's an honest mistake. I just don't see the need to dwell on it.

Ha. Guy is awful at his job. Embarrassingly bad, actually.

Whatever issues I have with Bernie's writing I would never compare him to Guy.

+1

The one-and-done is certainly part of it, but I think there are a whole lot of other reasons as to why CBB's popularity has dropped. Bernie touched on a few of these reasons, but conference realignment, soft scheduling, and a general "watering down" of the regular season are also three big offenders.

The biggest problem for a college basketball is the Tournament dwarfs everything else. The tournament is a great event that has killed interest in the regular season for the average fan. Most people don't care about college basketball until tournament time. They don't care about what you do during the season.