Bernie... C'mon now!

BJK

The biggest problem for a college basketball is the Tournament dwarfs everything else. The tournament is a great event that has killed interest in the regular season for the average fan. Most people don't care about college basketball until tournament time. They don't care about what you do during the season.

Don't you think that is true of most sports, college and professional?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you think that is true of most sports, college and professional?

College basketball has it worse. You don't get a chance to play all the big names in college basketball. Why should anyone care about any college game not involving a players that were bigtime recruits when what happens in that game doesn't matter? The only games that matter in most sports fans eyes are conference tournaments and the dance. Winning anything in the regular season doesn't mean squat to them because it means nothing for the postseason in their eyes. Winning your conference doesn't even mean anything. In most conferences it doesn't mean you will be in the tournament because the winner of the conference tournament is the only team going.

College football regular season games are huge because the result of every game has a potential impact on who will play for the title. A loss in week 1 can be just as devastating as a loss in the last week. The college football regular season hasn't been devalued yet like college basketball.

While not the most goosebump-inducing column, and bad he got Jake's name wrong, this is nice work.

Our team is one for the ages. High praise.

Nice to finally see something. Plenty left unsaid in case he wants to write another...

Agreed nice read, and to those who think Bernie's article is a piece of crap, don't make me go Marcus Smart on your a$$es!

Chester is one of us, too? No wonder Channel 5 is generally the best local-media outlet for the Bills.

Joe,

Yes, Chester is one of us.

If anyone just happened to watch the Channel 5 Sunday morning news at 6:00 am with Chester and Pat co-anchoring (I know...at that hour, high on everyone's must see TV,) you'll see them deliver a terrific SLU basketball commentary -- reveling in Saturday's victory and also in Spoonball. Chester even said that Spoonball back in the 90s significantly influenced his decision to attend SLU. If anyone wondered if a basketball program could actually be an enrollment marketing tool, there you have it. If it hasn't been already, that piece of video should be shown to Chris May, student recruiting office, university PR and the interim Prez. Wish I had TiVo'ed but it was 6am...

Really like these guys.

Bernie has been saying all along basketball doesn't do it for him? People baited him to write an article-this is what you get.

The pace of baseball is much more to his liking. You actually have to be for one of the teams at the end of a college basketball game to understand why it is exciting.

The last home game some people using season ticket holder seats left with 1:32 on the clock. There are people who leave before the grand finale' on the fourth of July.

Personally, I will stand up and cheer the Billikens on Saturday and if we lose we will be in first place while the Frank Haith team

has a lock on eighth place in that two directional league.

Bernie does come off as the pompous ass many here claim he is. His response to the KSDK anchor was, "And how many reporters does your station pay expenses to send to all SLU away games?" Paraphrased slightly, but yes, we should ignore the lack of coverage because, well, they at least send a reporter to cover all the games.. Exemplary coverage for the area's no. 1 college team. We should all be so thankful. What a tool.

Bernie does come off as the pompous ass many here claim he is. His response to the KSDK anchor was, "And how many reporters does your station pay expenses to send to all SLU away games?" Paraphrased slightly, but yes, we should ignore the lack of coverage because, well, they at least send a reporter to cover all the games.. Exemplary coverage for the area's no. 1 college team. We should all be so thankful. What a tool.

He's a snarky old man.

Here's the exact words: @miklasz: @PatMcGonigleNBC @JoeStrauss I must have missed it when your TV station committed expense of sending a reporter to all SLU road games.

I don't get Bernie's point. They don't send anyone to all Cardinal road games either. TV sports operates differently than newspaper sports.

I don't get Bernie's point. They don't send anyone to all Cardinal road games either. TV sports operates differently than newspaper sports.

The P-D most definitely sends reporter to every Cardinals road game -- actually two usually. Sometimes three. I'll defend him on that point; there is significant cost in committing to Timmerman's time and travel expenses for Bills. Good for P-D.

But yes he is deflecting, moving goal posts. What is missing is columnist commentary. Anything with any opinion, hate to say, heart. For this season, the third successful one in a row in midst of historic change in program, to be void of any storytelling until after their 24th game from their executive sports editor is noticed. Very noticed. Embarrassing and not befitting a guy of his talent, intellect, position and knowledge of sports in this city.

I've obviously weighed in on this subject already so I won't belabor. Is the P-D responsible for lack of sell-outs? Of course not. But they contribute. What the columnists say and how often they say it affects box office -- Bernie most directly.

The P-D most definitely sends reporter to every Cardinals road game -- actually two usually. Sometimes three. I'll defend him on that point; there is significant cost in committing to Timmerman's time and travel expenses for Bills. Good for P-D.

But yes he is deflecting, moving goal posts. What is missing is columnist commentary. Anything with any opinion, hate to say, heart. For this season, the third successful one in a row in midst of historic change in program, to be void of any storytelling until after their 24th game from their executive sports editor is noticed. Very noticed. Embarrassing and not befitting a guy of his talent, intellect, position and knowledge of sports in this city.

I've obviously weighed in on this subject already so I won't belabor. Is the P-D responsible for lack of sell-outs? Of course not. But they contribute. What the columnists say and how often they say it affects box office -- Bernie most directly.

By "they", I'm almost certain he is talking about KSDK not sending anyone to Cardinals road games, not the Post.

I know the post sends someone to every Card road game. I was saying TV stations don't. To compare how tv covers sports to a newspaper is foolish on Bernie's part. They are two very different mediums. People watch local tv sports for highlights. They turn to the paper for in depth coverage.