StL Post Coverage of 1/22 Game

cheeseman

The buy-one-get-one-free at Chevy's was my favorite. Used to parttake in epic fajita feasts with GManAlum & Co. pretty much every other week during basketball season. I made sure that I was the "free" one.

Of course, that seemed to go away during the Soderberg era, when we couldn't reach the minimum point threshold required, even in wins.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gel dmacher" post="396365 " ti mest amp="139059197.7"]

Totally disa gree. There are billboards on every major highway. I'm sure SLU had a lot to do with getting one hour coach show on 101.1. I see TV adds on Fox Sports Midwest. Whether we like it or not, the Groupon & Living Social deals are a marketing effort to put people into the building. There is more marketing of this team going on, IMO, than ever before.

I agree there is more than ever but that doesnt take much. The radio show is a great start but they need a lot more IMO.

Now is the time to go all in not sit still.

The billboards are nice but I dont think they are very effective. I Have a 45 minute commute every day and never see one. if they arent on your route you never see them.

Good news: They have a decent Facebook ad rotation. Bad news: They were still promoting season ticket packages at least 7-8 games into the season.

I agree with whoever said that the marketing presence is as good as it's ever been. But I'd bet that SLU's marketing budget is lower than any team in the Big East, and probably at or below the mean in the A-10.

The problem is that the past president never had a global picture of what it takes to have a "top-50" athletic program, or whatever he said he was going to do. And an interim president is not suddenly going to authorize a huge budget increase for...anything.

They give free shirts to the students 2 games a year. We have shirts. They don't get worn.

Then we need better shirts. I wear my air jordair shirt and get asked about it every time. ( unfortunately they weren't allowed to sell many) I always wear my billiken hood on game days and make it a point to send invites out to people to go watch the games and texts with the viewing info. I see the billboards and commercials on tv and hear on the radio far more often than I used to. I think it's come a long way. But every little thing can count. I think getting some hype from some well known supporters could be great... How do we hook that up? Just keep promoting our team and hopefully all the good buzz and the billikens hard work will pay off...

1. .@miklasz It's January. I love the Cardinals, but stop writing stories about them and start focusing on the 19th ranked Billikens.

2. @martyk23 I generally write to accommodate the largest reading audience, and my "Bytes" are not columns. Thanks.

@miklasz I'm just saying that SLU could get coverage this time of year & the Bourjos piece could wait a bit. You wrote about SLU last year

@martyk23 The Bytes are my thing _ bonus material_ and I write a lot about the Cardinals because the readership numbers are excellent.

@martyk23 I won't change my approach, but thanks for the suggestion and the feedback.

@miklasz Fair enough. I love the Cardinals. I'm not saying don't write about them. Just wanting to read about the Billikens too.

I wonder why Miklasz hates SLU all of a sudden

I am really pissed I did not come up with this...

@en_cohen: Also, every time I see Saint Louis University abbreviated as "SLU" on ESPN, I wonder if they ever adopted "swagger like us" as a motto.

Boom.

Would have been great five years ago. While we're at it, should we work "bling bling" or "gettin jiggy with it" in there too?

Bernie pretty much despises anyone suggesting he could be doing something differently.

+1000000000 The guy cannot take any criticism at all. He is one of the most defensive "public" figures I have ever known. Why he won't write about SLU this year in any material fashion, however, is beyond me. You would think he would be smarter than that and not let his ego get ahead of his intellect. Apparently not...

+1000000000 The guy cannot take any criticism at all. He is one of the most defensive "public" figures I have ever known. Why he won't write about SLU this year in any material fashion, however, is beyond me. You would think he would be smarter than that and not let his ego get ahead of his intellect. Apparently not...

Bernie is insufferable. I don't understand how ANYONE could listen to his show, btw. When he wasn't chastising listeners he was incessantly complimenting his guests. His show was terrible.

Majerus is gone so I wouldn't expect any Bernie columns soon.

Bernie is insufferable. I don't understand how ANYONE could listen to his show, btw. When he wasn't chastising listeners he was incessantly complimenting his guests. His show was terrible.

Majerus is gone so I wouldn't expect any Bernie columns soon.

He still has a show?

I liked Mik's old buddy Tuna better anyway, even if he didn't like us. (Did he?) Is he still around.?

Tuna was the worst. Hated on the Billikens last season because they didn't have enough brothas. What a tool.

SL Post? We'll get some notice now that we are in The AP and USA rankings, they HAVE to.

But if we lose a game, they will rejoice in dropping us out of sight again.

SL Post mailed me another low offer to re-subscribe for delivered dead tree edition, 7 days a week. Hilariously low. A guy phone called last month, I told him I wouldn't take it even for free.

Team stats actually made the last page on the print final edition this morning. I liked seeing that, of course there were two big articles on the outstate team one: about them having a basketball game and the other: about there ought to be an investigation.

Maybe we really don't want the Bill on the first page, after all.

More importantly Glaze has nearly as many rebounds as Evans in quite a few less minutes. The shooting of RA is spectacular I hope his shoulder is fully recovered or we operate on him after the season. All of the freshman have good numbers on the paper and once they get through the out of conference we should see some exciting basketball. Not that I want this season to be over. I remember during the Lisch and Liddell seasons where sometimes I wished they were over because we had a lot of players who couldn't or in the case of Polk, wouldn't shoot.

Sorry but I have to disagree about BM - I liked his show. He was the only one who would even talk about SLU. He can take suggestions - just because he offers an answer to a question as to why he writes about what he does that does not fit what the person wants to hear does not make him insufferable or even wrong.