Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

30 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I can see similarities to Fisher

-if two years ago Goodwin was half of the player he showed last night he should be recruited, I don't think we need further evidence of the recruiting incompetence of the prior staff as it is too vast

-I wish I hadn't committed to our game as i would return to Collinsville tonight to see a big part of our future 

-Goodwin was money well $pent ;)

Cowboy - Finals in Collinsville is not till 7:30 (bet it won't start till at least 7:45 or 8) with our game starting at 6 - might have a chance to head back over there.

After watching Goodwin take over and finish his free throws after missing some earlier in the night, can't wait for next year.

Also heard yesterday that Northwestern is going after Mark Smith hard at this time.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Always love finding these... The salt is all too real...

and its Ford recruits by 30 FWIW

image.jpg

I think my favorite part is when Illini fans say it doesn't make sense for players to want to play for Ford since he didn't accomplish much at Ok St by not advancing past first round of tournament when they have Groce who only made the tournament one year which was his first year there.  That was the guy who I believe was questioning Frank on his journalistic integrity for not calling out Ford for cheating when he was saying Tilmon isn't signing the first day of signing period.  

2 hours ago, Westy03 said:

We need to offer Mark Smith as soon as possible. This kid can really play, not sure what U of I is waiting on either 

Do we have any interest in him? I've never seen him play. He looks about the same size as Goodwin and is putting up big numbers. How does he compare to Goodwin? Did they cover each other in last night's game?

Smith is doing practically everything at a high level this season: finishing at the rim, shooting from outside, finding the open man, rebounding, disrupting the passing lanes. He looks like a top 50 player. Damnedest single season improvement I've ever seen. Heard he was a Missouri lean several weeks ago but I wonder if the Tigers recent struggles have altered the equation.

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

Do we have any interest in him? I've never seen him play. He looks about the same size as Goodwin and is putting up big numbers. How does he compare to Goodwin? Did they cover each other in last night's game?

I have only seen 2 games but he has better guard skills than Goodwin. Goodwin is more of a mauler and bullies his way on the offensive end. The two are very different players but are the same size. I would say Smith is more of a PG where as Goodwin is more of a SG/SF

41 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Smith is doing practically everything at a high level this season: finishing at the rim, shooting from outside, finding the open man, rebounding, disrupting the passing lanes. He looks like a top 50 player. Damnedest single season improvement I've ever seen. Heard he was a Missouri lean several weeks ago but I wonder if the Tigers recent struggles have altered the equation.

Illinois fans think he is a lock if groce offers. I would love to see the meltdown if he goes to Mizzou

5 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Illinois fans think he is a lock if groce offers. I would love to see the meltdown if he goes to Mizzou

He is not going to Missouri - that team is in big trouble.  There will probably be another mass exodus at the end of the year.  Missouri will shop the job around again as they did last year and unless they change their expectations Anderson will be back.

1 hour ago, Westy03 said:

.@jGoodwin1123 on @IlliniMBB recruiting Mark Smith: "I don't know what they're waiting on. They need to pull the plug. ...

They need to offer him before I go talk to St. Louis (about him)."

He's looked really good all season. We kind of have a glut of big guards, but I'd love to see him in SLU blue. Another tough competitor with plenty of athleticism and skill. He has a lot of zip on his passes, which is unsurprising given his baseball background. 

2 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

I'm a huge Mark Smith fan. Would love to see him here. I'm glad his basketball game has taken off this year.m, because he's also a legit baseball prospect too. One of his EHS teammates is on the SLU baseball team.

Smith was the MVP of the tournament.  He's the total package.  As far as his prior commitment to Missouri that was in baseball which was his primary focus before..  Also part of the reason he hadn't gotten more basketball scholarship offers..  But he's had some shoulder issues that make continuing baseball less feasible so he went all in on basketball. 

Dude he can stroke it from deep, has a great handle, great court vision, and is very athletic.  One comparison I've seen is a more athletic version of Demetri Mccamey because his size and strengths and some guys use to call Demetri a "combo" even though he was second in the nation in assists per game as a junior..  Because he could shoot so well. 

I'm an Illini fan and I don't mean any harm being here but I'm hopeful we lock him up tomorrow because if SLU had pushed on him a month ago you guys would have gotten the guard with the most upside in the class.  Not saying it's over but I like him more than anybody else in Illinois..  Kid is a top 50 player talent wise...  The fact he's just started focusing solely on basketball, to me, means he's just scratching the surface.  

I don't dislike SLU since I'm from across the river just a bit and I'm a Cardinal fan so it's a bit of an awkward situation to suddenly be fighting with you guys for recruits but if you guys do somehow snag this kid..  He's the kind of player that will lead the way on the court. 

Illinois will most likely be offering Smith tomorrow I think.   Supposedly there is a visit scheduled, probably before or after the game.   As far as the talk about Smith and Mizzery, I believe he was verbally committed to them on a baseball scholarship but had a shoulder or arm problem that is going to prevent him from playing baseball.  That's why all of a sudden he is a new "name" on the market.  He has blown up this year and could challenge Goodwin & Tilmon for Mr. Basketball 

19 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

Mark Smith actually reminds a lot of Blake Ahearn at the same age. He's sneaky athletic with unbelievable range and he can finish by the basket. The total package. I would love to see him be a Billken.

What have you heard about our recruitment of him? 

Smith is a far better athlete and better ball handler and physically stronger.   Ahearn was a better shooter.

-I understand we need to rebound the ball to facilitate playing up-tempo so a another big makes sense, but  in one showing Smith was very impressive, I hope to see him again this season and would not mind seeing him many times over the next four seasons.....

Smith would be a good get but we need a big to compliment next years roster.  A JUCO PF or C would be a perfect fit in my opinion.  I think we need another guy cleaning the glass if we are going to sniff the tourney next year.  If Gillman and Nuefeld bolt, maybe we can have both. I trust Travis.