SLU_PT_2k11

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Under Missouri law...

Making a terrorist threat, penalty

574.115. 1. A person commits the crime of making a terrorist threat if such person communicates a threat to cause an incident or condition involving danger to life, communicates a knowingly false report of an incident or condition involving danger to life, or knowingly causes a false belief or fear that an incident has occurred or that a condition exists involving danger to life:

(1) With the purpose of frightening ten or more people;

(2) With the purpose of causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure of any portion of a building, inhabitable structure, place of assembly or facility of transportation; or

(3) With reckless disregard of the risk of causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure of any portion of a building, inhabitable structure, place of assembly or facility of transportation; or

(4) With criminal negligence with regard to the risk of causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure of any portion of a building, inhabitable structure, place of assembly or facility of transportation.

2. Making a terrorist threat is a class C felony unless committed under subdivision (3) of subsection 1 of this section in which case it is a class D felony or unless committed under subdivision (4) of subsection 1 of this section in which case it is a class A misdemeanor.

3. For the purpose of this section, "threat" includes an express or implied threat.

4. A person who acts in good faith with the purpose to prevent harm does not commit a crime pursuant to this section.

I think the reason they decided to charge him with this is because they feel they can make a case that he was both frightening a number of people and trying to cause either a closure or evacuation of a building. If you noticed in the local stories and if you look up the open case file information, you'll see that Metz lives in the downtown area. His residence is within a few blocks (easy walking distance) of Group 360's office. Apparently, someone there felt that he was legitimately threatening their office environment and was very close by when he did it.

Obviously, the Offspring song reference tweet seems rather mundane if you just take it in a vacuum. However, when looking at it within the larger context, not just including the Boston tweets, but all the other inflammatory tweets he made through his personal Twitter account, his other forays on the internet along with how others may have viewed his personality in the office, it could paint a picture that made those at Group 360 think they were dealing with a potentially dangerous individual. Could it be seen as an overreaction and a stretch to say he was making a terrorist threat? Maybe, but now that is for a judge to decide.

The larger lesson to be learned is this: If you are working as a social media manager for a company, maybe it is a good idea to not tweet dumb sh*t under your REAL NAME while also including your employer's info on your Twitter handle! Furthermore, if you get fired by said company for doing this kind of dumb sh*t, maybe it's best that you not tweet out more dumb sh*t that can be interpreted by your former employer as a threat to shoot people. Maybe someone can make the case that Metz had his freedom trampled on here. However, I think the easier case is that Metz acted like an immature, attention-seeking jerk and he got what he'd been desperately looking for all of these years.

He's now a featured story on Deadspin. Congrats, Metz. You made it!

I think the reason they decided to charge him with this is because they feel they can make a case that he was both frightening a number of people and trying to cause either a closure or evacuation of a building. If you noticed in the local stories and if you look up the open case file information, you'll see that Metz lives in the downtown area. His residence is within a few blocks (easy walking distance) of Group 360's office. Apparently, someone there felt that he was legitimately threatening their office environment and was very close by when he did it.

Obviously, the Offspring song reference tweet seems rather mundane if you just take it in a vacuum. However, when looking at it within the larger context, not just including the Boston tweets, but all the other inflammatory tweets he made through his personal Twitter account, his other forays on the internet along with how others may have viewed his personality in the office, it could paint a picture that made those at Group 360 think they were dealing with a potentially dangerous individual. Could it be seen as an overreaction and a stretch to say he was making a terrorist threat? Maybe, but now that is for a judge to decide.

The larger lesson to be learned is this: If you are working as a social media manager for a company, maybe it is a good idea to not tweet dumb sh*t under your REAL NAME while also including your employer's info on your Twitter handle! Furthermore, if you get fired by said company for doing this kind of dumb sh*t, maybe it's best that you not tweet out more dumb sh*t that can be interpreted by your former employer as a threat to shoot people. Maybe someone can make the case that Metz had his freedom trampled on here. However, I think the easier case is that Metz acted like an immature, attention-seeking jerk and he got what he'd been desperately looking for all of these years.

He's now a featured story on Deadspin. Congrats, Metz. You made it!

Yeah, I was just curious what the statute actually said...I interned for the legal dept at a healthcare company and you would not believe some of the crap Dr's and nurses tweeted/facebooked about patients and bosses...I cannot believe that people don't realize that social media is in the public sphere and is closely tied to one's reputation in this day and age.

you guys are "defending" this jackass because "well, he was just joking, you guys" ... would any normal person tweet this ######? and his job is in public relations.. are you serious? couldn't feel less sorry for him, you're 31 years old, not 16, putting it out there for the entire world to interpret as they see fit.. not just your buddies behind some closed door. get a clue. also, suck it yankees.

see how I gave a dig at my least favorite sports franchise there without being a total jackass and bringing up memories of an awful terrorist attack, without even implying that I'm contemplating a similar action, or that I would be happy if it occurred at the same time? really difficult.

this guy isn't one of your kids, he's a middle-aged man. and most of us don't see this as a surprise after interacting with him in real life or on a billikens.com fan board (you know, when we're all rooting for the same team) ... people actually get arrest for far less (see: the war on drugs) but that's another discussion entirely.

I hope to never respond to him again in any forum. and if I do I, it will include the deadspin link in every one.

bobby got fired, and then tweeted his former employer:

"Listening to the Offspring's "Bad Habit" and the lyrics just ring true of what will go down very soon."

That is a threat. Hell, if I was in that office I would immediately leave and call the cops given bobby's infatuation with guns.

I know bobby personally, and I feel bad for him. I know he would never hurt anyone. He made a bad bad mistake, and he will pay for it dearly.

Thank you. This is what I was trying to express.

you guys are "defending" this jackass because "well, he was just joking, you guys" ... would any normal person tweet this ######? and his job is in public relations.. are you serious? couldn't feel less sorry for him, you're 31 years old, not 16, putting it out there for the entire world to interpret as they see fit.. not just your buddies behind some closed door. get a clue. also, suck it yankees.

see how I gave a dig at my least favorite sports franchise there without being a total jackass and bringing up memories of an awful terrorist attack, without even implying that I'm contemplating a similar action, or that I would be happy if it occurred at the same time? really difficult.

this guy isn't one of your kids, he's a middle-aged man. and most of us don't see this as a surprise after interacting with him in real life or on a billikens.com fan board (you know, when we're all rooting for the same team) ... people actually get arrest for far less (see: the war on drugs) but that's another discussion entirely.

I hope to never respond to him again in any forum. and if I do I, it will include the deadspin link in every one.

+1000

He's a friggin' PR professional. He should have known where the line is. He should know what is acceptable. The consequences are perfectly acceptable to the incident.

For those complaining about him being arrested, people are arrested all the time when involved with questionable activity, an arrest just gives law enforcement more leverage.

This is sad. I've had some online interaction with him in the last couple years. I thought he had turned a corner in his online conduct. Hopefully this is a wake up call. I too don't think he's capable of any of this but this falls right in line with the patterns he's been exhibiting for years. If he's reading this I hope he is getting some help with his issues.

I think this goes to a deeper issue. I'm just old enough to know a life without internet and social media. I believe I always make it a point to only post, tweet, or say things online that I would say to a stranger in person. There appears to be a disconnect though among people younger than me, 30 and below, where social media is like a fantasy. It is real but not. The type of discourse allowed online is not for what would pass in person and it can get you into trouble. I believe instances like this will become more and more prevalent. Hell we may see police departments create divisions strictly for online crimes.

Really? Is this like real for real? This strikes me as so surreal. I can understand both sides of the "theart" or "not a threat" argument but can't help but wonder how one balances the "what if" scenario given today's societal context, political correctness, wussification of America situation, etc. I don't know how one can employ an "isolationist" policy in today's 24-hour-news/instant messenger/global marketplace environment.

If nothing else, this shows exactly how internet abuse can be ranked right up there with drug abuse, alcohol abuse, sexual abuse, White Castle abuse, and super-sized-sugary-soft-drinks-equal-obesity abuse. Man ... I hope self-gratification doesn't achieve "abuse" standards lest I am screwed (actually, screwed no more).

Is this for real, really? When we get to the picture-dictionary, I think we have our "message board moron" entry locked up.

Welcome to reality Taj. It is likely that America itself has not changed at all, that all that is changed is the ease with which your printed words and statements can reach places you never intended them to go to, and the ease with which specific statements can be identified within a huge volume of other statements and brought in for review, and possible legal action. I am not defending or accusing Metz, but I do think that as a PR professional he should have been aware of this.

This strikes me the same as it does Taj. It is a completely innane situation. I would consider Bobby a friend albeit I have not seen him since the SLU days. He is extremely opinionated and can be inflammatory/passionate in his tweets and social media, but to feel strongly enough to arrest someone based on this is unsettling to me. The fact that people are calling Metz a potential terrorist has to be the worst part of all of this for him. I have talked to him about his outbursts on billikens.com and he has said to me (back in 2007) that he does it just to get a reaction out of people on this board. The STL police captured a terrorist....yea...ok. Give me a break.

#FreeMetz

If you know what a metaphor is, you would not say the offspring song is about "road rage".

Get a clue, loser.

The song is about road rage. Dexter Holland wrote it after getting flipped off on the highway. It was written to release anger. There is no deeper meaning.

Also, the word you actually should have used is allegory and not metaphor.

Happy Halloween, loser.

Well said. I am sympathetic to anyone who is a passionate Billiken fan. However, this is a cautionary tale about how you cannot say anything you want simply because you are doing so while hiding behind the imagined protective wall of a computer screen. I legitimately feel bad for the guy, because I can understand getting caught up in feeling your invulnerable, because your typing your ridiculous thoughts rather than saying them to someone in person. That does not excuse the behavior.

Should he have been arrested and charged with a crime? Don't know and don't care. But, for his own sake, I certainly hope in the future that he remembers that there was a time when people survived without feeling compelled to spew everyone one of their thoughts on some form of social media.