Recruiting 2015

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams seems like a stud and I hope we get him, but he probably just adds another guy to our only position of strength.

He is not better than any of the current freshmen. Lets say someone transfers and we get him-we break even at best on talent.

This guy has offers from LaSalle, Albany, UIC, NIU, Green Bay, Bradley, Illinois State, and SIUE.hot commodity.

That's because he wasn't ruled eligible by IHSA until a few weeks ago. His mother moved to Springfield and refused to sign a waiver when he transferred back to Decatur.

He is getting interest from Illinois and Iowa now. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

When we signed Kwamain Mitchell he had offers from Bradley, Illinois State, Milwaukee, and Iowa State.

You're right, all that matters is who has offered a player.

also an offer from Miami and interest from Marquette and Minnesotta.

I'm not saying that who offers is all that matters. Its not. Williams is really not much more than the average SLU recruit. Definitely not a stud.

also an offer from Miami and interest from Marquette and Minnesotta.

I'm not saying that who offers is all that matters. Its not. Williams is really not much more than the average SLU recruit. Definitely not a stud.

Based on what? All you have said is he isnt a good recruit and the only fact you have given is who has offered him

When did I say he wasn't a good recruit?

All I said is that he isn't that much different from the caliber of player SLU usually recruits. I am willing to entertain your statement that he is a stud…What makes you think that he is a stud?

When did I say he wasn't a good recruit?

All I said is that he isn't that much different from the caliber of player SLU usually recruits. I am willing to entertain your statement that he is a stud…What makes you think that he is a stud?

He is not better than any of the current freshmen. Lets say someone transfers and we get him-we break even at best on talent.

The bolded text is when you said he is not a good recruit. As much potential as many of our freshmen have there are certainly a few very weak/marginal D1 talents in the class. To say he is less than any of our recruits says he is not a good recruit. Unless you are of the opinion that all 6 freshmen are good recruits?

Another correction from your comment: I did not say he was a stud. I simply pointed out the fact that he is a better basketball player than some of our freshmen by discounting your post. He would be a very good land for us if we can lock him up before the majors get in on him (and they will now that he is eligible again). What makes me think he is a very good recruit is watching him play live - have you done that?

The bolded text is when you said he is not a good recruit. As much potential as many of our freshmen have there are certainly a few very weak/marginal D1 talents in the class. To say he is less than any of our recruits says he is not a good recruit. Unless you are of the opinion that all 6 freshmen are good recruits?

Another correction from your comment: I did not say he was a stud. I simply pointed out the fact that he is a better basketball player than some of our freshmen by discounting your post. He would be a very good land for us if we can lock him up before the majors get in on him (and they will now that he is eligible again). What makes me think he is a very good recruit is watching him play live - have you done that?

chillinthemost is most definitely not "chilling" the most but rather seems to have a pole up his a$$

So let's say Williams ends up being really good. Like he starts at the 2/3. So now we have Roby and Crawford backing up Williams and Yacoubou. Still haven't solved the rest of our issues.

Again - I like having competition in practice and I'm always for an upgrade if we can get it. But it just seems like Williams is the only guy we've been going after for this class and I see so many more pressing issues with this roster. Maybe they think we could see an unexpected transfer. I really don't know. I just don't want to come in to next year with the same roster plus Williams and minus Lancona or something.

So let's say Williams ends up being really good. Like he starts at the 2/3. So now we have Roby and Crawford backing up Williams and Yacoubou. Still haven't solved the rest of our issues.

Again - I like having competition in practice and I'm always for an upgrade if we can get it. But it just seems like Williams is the only guy we've been going after for this class and I see so many more pressing issues with this roster. Maybe they think we could see an unexpected transfer. I really don't know. I just don't want to come in to next year with the same roster plus Williams and minus Lancona or something.

How is same roster + Williams (who will have high D1 offers coming in shortly) - Lancona (who probably wouldn't start at WashU) not better? I dont give two sh!ts about what position they are...get the best talent and win games. Dayton doesn't have a center or a pf on their roster right now and they seem to be doing pretty good. The 2012 -13 Bills were the best team in my lifetime and they had 3 pgs. When you have good talent and leadership everything else seems to fall into place.

How is same roster + Williams (who will have high D1 offers coming in shortly) - Lancona (who probably wouldn't start at WashU) not better? I dont give two sh!ts about what position they are...get the best talent and win games. Dayton doesn't have a center or a pf on their roster right now and they seem to be doing pretty good. The 2012 -13 Bills were the best team in my lifetime and they had 3 pgs. When you have good talent and leadership everything else seems to fall into place.

It's a more talented roster, but that doesn't mean it'll make our team better.

Look, I'd take Williams. He's a good player by all reports. He doesn't even remotely fill a need and we have way more pressing issues with our roster, but I'd take him. If he could replace Yacoubou and his 21 straight missed shots on the road, I'd be thrilled.

The only thing I question is that it seems like we're not recruiting anyone else. I don't want it to be April and we have more than 1 guy transfer and then all of a sudden we're looking at signing the next Lancona.

PS - what's your relationship to Williams?

It's a more talented roster, but that doesn't mean it'll make our team better.

Look, I'd take Williams. He's a good player by all reports. He doesn't even remotely fill a need and we have way more pressing issues with our roster, but I'd take him. If he could replace Yacoubou and his 21 straight missed shots on the road, I'd be thrilled.

The only thing I question is that it seems like we're not recruiting anyone else. I don't want it to be April and we have more than 1 guy transfer and then all of a sudden we're looking at signing the next Lancona.

PS - what's your relationship to Williams?

I have no relationship with Williams and have never met the kid. From times I have seen him play (twice) he is quite talented and would be one of the three best players on our roster right now in my estimation.

Don't worry about who you hear about who we are recruiting. I don't think any of the regular posters on this board had heard the name Davell Roby before he committed here.

We have a stretch 4 and a center already signed for next year. Should the staff bring in a 3rd big in the same class?

PG and a 4 that plays inside would be my preferences.

I'm guessing there will be multiple scholarships open up. Agreed a PG and an inside rebounder/scorer are the biggest needs, but we also need guys who can score, regardless of position. If the kid can score, sign him up. I hope we are also exploring the JUCO market and be open to getting a one-year transfer.

I'm guessing there will be multiple scholarships open up. Agreed a PG and an inside rebounder/scorer are the biggest needs, but we also need guys who can score, regardless of position. If the kid can score, sign him up. I hope we are also exploring the JUCO market and be open to getting a one-year transfer.

-I agree but our history with Juco's making a contribution in their first season is not too good

Let's just say hypothetically that all the freshmen stay and we lose one sophomore and one junior. I think in that scenario we only sign one kid in the spring because signing 2 would only leave one scholly for the 2016 class. Basically, if anybody leaves from the junior class that scholarship has to be saved or used on a 5th year senior that is eligible immediately if we want to maintain 2 for 2016.

Let's just say hypothetically that all the freshmen stay and we lose one sophomore and one junior. I think in that scenario we only sign one kid in the spring because signing 2 would only leave one scholly for the 2016 class. Basically, if anybody leaves from the junior class that scholarship has to be saved or used on a 5th year senior that is eligible immediately if we want to maintain 2 for 2016.

This is a good point. Hadn't thought about that.

Juniors, you mean McBroom and Ash? Unless they graduate this Spring or Summer, I don't see them going.

Now TL, I can see him going. He could probably benefit going to a lower level program if some one wants him. He may have to go D2 like a Salecich, McGuire and Knollmeyer.