Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone actually ever had a good read on this situation so I don't blame anyone but I'm wondering if FDL could fill us in on what changed. He seemed confident Barnes was getting an offer and didn't he say something along the lines of "At this point I'd be surprised if Tatum didn't come to SLU"?

Listen this whole thing AAU/Recruiting this has gotten way out of hand. How many cooks were in the kitchen on this one? Since we have so many bloggers in their parents basement passing as AAU Recruiting Experts on ESPN, and they have turned this into such a big business, we as fans have every right to trash kids that don't go to the school we like. In the case of this me first recruiting nonsense, we can trash these kids, especially if they want to plaster themselves all over twitter and Facebook.

Justin, I hope you fail, you missed a great opportunity. Coach K is a great coach, BUT his staff sucks.... You missed a chance to have the All-Time Big 10 leading scorer and 14 year NBA vet prepare you for the NBA. Instead you get to learn how to slap the floor with a bunch of goody goody noobs and take remedial doookie classes for the basketball "student" athletes...

This Chaminade Alum thinks you missed the boat on Esto Vir.....

I don't think anyone actually ever had a good read on this situation so I don't blame anyone but I'm wondering if FDL could fill us in on what changed. He seemed confident Barnes was getting an offer and didn't he say something along the lines of "At this point I'd be surprised if Tatum didn't come to SLU"?

To be honest I'm not sure. Everyone on our end thought we had him as recently as this past week. He informed everyone of his decision a few days ago. It sucks. In regard to Barnes, I had heard we were going to offer but things changed. Ultimately the staff decided not to offer him. I don't think that would've made a difference, but who knows.

Lots of people on the twitters (fans from all over) are pretty upset he didn't choose the hometown school. Whether that is just collective Duke hatred or wanting to see something different for a change, who knows. But I think Tatum really blew a really good PR opportunity for his brand and NBA career.....

To be honest I'm not sure. Everyone on our end thought we had him as recently as this past week. He informed everyone of his decision a few days ago. It sucks. In regard to Barnes, I had heard we were going to offer but things changed. Ultimately the staff decided not to offer him. I don't think that would've made a difference, but who knows. It sucks, obviously.

Who are your connections specifically? Maybe they see things thru Biliken blue colored glasses. From the only people I would consider connected to Jayson and not to SLU in any capacity, they never had the impression SLU would be the choice.

To be honest I'm not sure. Everyone on our end thought we had him as recently as this past week. He informed everyone of his decision a few days ago. It sucks. In regard to Barnes, I had heard we were going to offer but things changed. Ultimately the staff decided not to offer him. I don't think that would've made a difference, but who knows.

Agree Barnes probably wouldn't have made a difference. Appreciate the insight. We will probably never know exactly what happened so it's time to move on I guess.

Lots of people on the twitters (fans from all over) are pretty upset he didn't choose the hometown school. Whether that is just collective Duke hatred or wanting to see something different for a change, who knows. But I think Tatum really blew a really good PR opportunity for his brand and NBA career.....

It depends. If he wins a National Championship at Duke, I think his brand will be just fine. He blew a chance to be a legend in St. Louis that will likely be hard to truly make up though.

Who are your connections specifically? Maybe they see things thru Biliken blue colored glasses. From the only people I would consider connected to Jayson and not to SLU in any capacity, they never had the impression SLU would be the choice.

I doubt da love wants to specifically tell you who his connections are but it's pretty clear to me he is speaking with someone on the coaching staff or high up in the athletic department.

Obviously such a person had Billiken blue glasses, and it's disappointing that they misread the situation. Not sure they could have done a thing different to change the end result.

I wouldn't offer Barnes. He hit a lucky shot. I'd be all over the Verge kid. If we've been following the Eagles I'd hope we have at least tried to get a feel for his interest.

Barnes looks to be improved based on what people have said but I think he's still not quite an A10 level player and there's even less reason to offer him now that Tatum is off the board. If anything offering him now would be stupid.

I wouldn't offer Barnes. He hit a lucky shot. I'd be all over the Verge kid. If we've been following the Eagles I'd hope we have at least tried to get a feel for his interest.

Barnes has history of hitting lucky shots. We have probably poisoned the well when it comes to Barnes, anyway.

Barnes has history of hitting lucky shots. We have probably poisoned the well when it comes to Barnes, anyway.

I would imagine that if we really wanted him we would have a good chance of getting him (his offers are all mid-major offers at this point).

Not sure what else he'd say but found this interesting

"I love the way the program is run and I love the way the academics are set up," Tatum said of Duke. "My relationships with the Duke coaches were the best, and they made me a priority. They did the best job of recruiting me and have been at almost all my games, and that means a lot."
Tatum's only official visit was to Duke, in February for the Blue Devils' game against Syracuse. He also made unofficial visits to Kentucky and Saint Louis.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/13244364/jayson-tatum-no-2-recruit-espn-class-2016-commits-duke-blue-devils